Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TBN Carucci : Bills at DB: Seymour could be a true sleeper

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,469 Times in 9,175 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

TBN Carucci : Bills at DB: Seymour could be a true sleeper

One thing I'm fairly confident about is that Ryan knows DB's. After reading about him, I'd be delighted if Seymour panned out, though it will take time for him to grow the preds.

One other thing I found interesting.....

Here's more food for thought: The Bills focused on adding secondary depth with low-level free-agent signings. One player to watch at safety is Robert Blanton, who spent the previous four seasons with the Minnesota Vikings. Blanton was noticeably vocal in practice, directing traffic in the secondary and generally making sure everyone was lined up properly.
    Maybe Blanton is the new Leonhard. I'd be happy with that.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/05...-true-sleeper/

2. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-24-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,468 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: TBN Carucci : Bills at DB: Seymour could be a true sleeper

This team is going to need a lot of help from unexpected sources if they want to avoid dropping below .500 again.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 26,214 Times in 13,680 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Blanton was great at ND but hasn't done much in the NFL.

5. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-24-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    This team is going to need a lot of help from unexpected sources if they want to avoid dropping below .500 again.
    I'm not even sure what my expectations are anymore, though they aren't high (maybe 9-7 in my best dreams). I'm trying real hard to have some optimism. If everything goes bad, like I have a feeling it will, I'm just hoping for some gems to shine for the long term. At the least, if defensive players get a handle on Ryan's system, any other one will be gravy down the road.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I'm not even sure what my expectations are anymore, though they aren't high (maybe 9-7 in my best dreams). I'm trying real hard to have some optimism. If everything goes bad, like I have a feeling it will, I'm just hoping for some gems to shine for the long term. At the least, if defensive players get a handle on Ryan's system, any other one will be gravy down the road.
    Score more points than your opponent...

I honestly feel we will be better overall:

1. Second year in the same offense and defense is huge for the players knowledge and reaction time. That minimizes mental miscues.
    2. Tyrod in his second year as the uncontested starter is huge. There is no battle or dividing reps. The extra reps and time to jell helps the offense play better right out of the gate.
    3. The running game should be even better. Injuries plagued us last year even though we still exceeded expectations on the ground. We may see more injuries this year but Johnathan Williams was a very good add and I think we will be very pleased with what he does on the field if injuries occur.
    4. The passing game should be better with the aforementioned extra reps with Tyrod as the uncontested starter. Furthermore, I think we may throw the ball more this year and use Woods in the slot where he really should be.
    5. The defensive line may be the same. Bryant will start where Mario was early on but Mario under-performed so I don't see a drop in production. Shaq and a rotational Washington should make the production better overall.
    6. The linebacking corp should be much better. Ragland may end up being the most important addition from this draft. Having Brown and Rgaland in the middle make me feel way better about our run defense.
    7. The secondary, barring injury, will be better if for nothing more than getting Aaron back. McKelvin cost us too many plays and I believe the new faces at CB will make us more sound overall.

Really RT is my only worry right now since Henderson is MIA. But many felt Mills was just as good. I'm not sure we won't make an addition later on in the summer if Henderson can't go.

Overall, I think many simply have angst because of the changes to known quantities. But I feel real good about what the new faces should add and improve on this team.

8. Post thanked by:

Gilly (05-26-2016),Mace (05-26-2016),Mr. Cynical (05-27-2016),Skooby (05-26-2016),Yasgur's Farm (05-26-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post

1. Second year in the same offense and defense is huge for the players knowledge and reaction time. That minimizes mental miscues.
    2. Tyrod in his second year as the uncontested starter is huge. There is no battle or dividing reps. The extra reps and time to jell helps the offense play better right out of the gate.
    3. The running game should be even better. Injuries plagued us last year even though we still exceeded expectations on the ground. We may see more injuries this year but Johnathan Williams was a very good add and I think we will be very pleased with what he does on the field if injuries occur.
    4. The passing game should be better with the aforementioned extra reps with Tyrod as the uncontested starter. Furthermore, I think we may throw the ball more this year and use Woods in the slot where he really should be.
    5. The defensive line may be the same. Bryant will start where Mario was early on but Mario under-performed so I don't see a drop in production. Shaq and a rotational Washington should make the production better overall.
    6. The linebacking corp should be much better. Ragland may end up being the most important addition from this draft. Having Brown and Rgaland in the middle make me feel way better about our run defense.
    7. The secondary, barring injury, will be better if for nothing more than getting Aaron back. McKelvin cost us too many plays and I believe the new faces at CB will make us more sound overall.

Really RT is my only worry right now since Henderson is MIA. But many felt Mills was just as good. I'm not sure we won't make an addition later on in the summer if Henderson can't go.

Overall, I think many simply have angst because of the changes to known quantities. But I feel real good about what the new faces should add and improve on this team.
    If we stay healthy, we make some noise. Great write up BTW.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,480 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Until we figure out how to stop a no huddle offense, and how to run a hurry up offense inside two minutes, I have no hope.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,673 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    Until we figure out how to stop a no huddle offense, and how to run a hurry up offense inside two minutes, I have no hope.
    You stop a no-huddle offense by sticking to your assignment and getting the calls in on time. Two things this team did terribly last year.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,480 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
    You stop a no-huddle offense by sticking to your assignment and getting the calls in on time. Two things this team did terribly last year.
    I honestly don't think the coaching staff is aware of this. Also Roman showed no displeasure with the lack of a two minute offense.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,070 Times in 3,555 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If Seymour pans out, that would be a coup. He's got the size, speed, and athleticism you covet. And the fact that his eyesight was poor and was recently (post college playing career) provides hope that he'll be better than what he showed in college.

14. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (05-27-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post

Well, I can appreciate your perspectives. I can agree with 1,2, & 6 easily.

3 - Maybe. Teams are going to key on the running game.
    4 - Maybe, if Taylor can improve his reads and decision speed. Unsure if it's growing pains or player limitation. And Taylor needs to stay healthy (obviously).
    5 - Manny Lawson replaces Mario/Shaq, not Bryant. That's sort of ok until Shaq heals.
    7- Can agree for diff reasons, I think Aaron will not last but Blanton leaves me optimistic, Colt Anderson was good depth, Seymour looks promising.

The wildcards, to me :

- Taylor, health and development
    - They need a 2 minute offense
    - Is the Ryan defense past shelf life ? Might be.
    - RG & RT, health and improvement (even by consistency and lack of injuries) are needed
    - Carpenter has to regain his form
    - Ryan needs to improve his game management skills and be more aware. There were some inexplicable things happened last year that shouldn't for a vet HC
    - They need to stop the stupid personal judgement penalties

I hope you're right. I don't know. Tougher schedule, too many achy players. I wish it was September though so we could start finding out already.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

His #1 is the biggest load of crap. Every year it's "our same guys are magically going to improve through playing together longer!"

It has never once actually happened. The only improvements occurred when we added talent. But for some reason, people keep repeating this nonsense cliche.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    One thing I'm fairly confident about is that Ryan knows DB's. After reading about him, I'd be delighted if Seymour panned out, though it will take time for him to grow the preds.

One other thing I found interesting.....

Maybe Blanton is the new Leonhard. I'd be happy with that.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/05...-true-sleeper/
    Of course BillsImpossible would thank this post. Because he is the ultimate dope. I don't care how vocal the player is. Start making plays.

18. Post thanked by:

pmoon6 (05-28-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,468 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    His #1 is the biggest load of crap. Every year it's "our same guys are magically going to improve through playing together longer!"

It has never once actually happened. The only improvements occurred when we added talent. But for some reason, people keep repeating this nonsense cliche.
    I think the exception to that is 2014, when we added a coordinator that got the defense to improve drastically with basically the same roster as the year prior, although admittedly Spikes especially was a huge upgrade for that squad.

20. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (05-27-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Did the Bills offense get out of the bottom of the league ? Did we have a QB actually visit the pro bowl ?? That's a change for the better, at least acknowledge we got better (#1 rushing as well).

22. Post thanked by:

Goobylal (05-27-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

x-era, do we need all your points to be a playoff team? or can we get by with 50% of your points happening? I view your points as we have to hit them all to be a playoff team and that's scary because its hard to go 100% on that list. curious on your take

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Blanton was great at ND but hasn't done much in the NFL.
    I'm not sure what happened to him. He started 13 games in 2014 and was the leading tackler on the #11 defense, but got benched the next year and released after. I don't watch enough Viking games.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    Did the Bills offense get out of the bottom of the league ? Did we have a QB actually visit the pro bowl ?? That's a change for the better, at least acknowledge we got better (#1 rushing as well).
    Are you daft? We added Tyrod, McCoy and Clay. It wasn't the same guys as the year before. It was a huge talent influx. This year, we have virtually the same guys on O that we had last year. Nothing significant in terms of added talent. We didn't really lose any talent either, so the results will be about the same. I'm not particularly worried about the O- while they weren't spectacular last year, they were good enough to win more often than not. It was the D that held them back.

I'm merely stating that expecting significant improvement with the same guys is unrealistic.

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

^ It was their first year together as a unit. It's not crazy to think improvement should come with more familiarity and solidification.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalogic View Post
    ^ It was their first year together as a unit. It's not crazy to think improvement should come with more familiarity and solidification.
    People keep saying this, but when has it actually happened? When has either the O or the D improved significantly from one year to the next without adding talent?