Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rob Ryan's problems in New Orleans

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Rob Ryan's problems in New Orleans

Twins are alike. Rex was known to be sloppy, bombastic and terrible with in-game calls as head coach of the Jets. Now when Rob opened his big mouth and claimed the defense in New Orleans wasn't really his, Sean Payton tells it... Rob & his unit were sloppy with fundamentals.

“The idea that it wasn’t his defense, or he wasn’t in charge of it, is silly,” Payton said.

Payton said the Saints’ defense repeatedly struggled with fundamentals like getting the right calls and the right players on the field.

“When you’re struggling as bad as we’re struggling for two years, and some of the same problems keep coming up — you know, 10 guys on the field — those are things that just are hard to live with,” Payton said.
    An earlier piece by PFT reminded everyone of the epic bad defenses Rob oversaw in Dallas.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ense-is-silly/
    Last edited by swiper; 05-28-2016 at 05:16 AM.

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,899 Times in 2,082 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Rob Ryan's problems in New Orleans

Yea. Like most I am soooooo happy rob is here. Especially given his stellar tract record over the last few years.

thats sarcasm..
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

3. Post thanked by:

swiper (05-28-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 597 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Maybe him and his twin will do great things for us together.

I'm not gonna complain about it because what's done is done and it's out of my control.

I think the Ryan brothers will work great together........I know I'm in the minority but that my opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Rob hasn't done jack since he left Cleveland as a DC.

Funny part is his successor in Cleveland, Dick Jauron, was an improvement.

6. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-28-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That goes to show what kind of teacher he is if his players cant get it. He may be in over his head as a DC.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post

Rob hasn't done jack since he left Cleveland as a DC.

That's just not true.

The year before Rob Ryan became Defensive Coordinator of the Saints, New Orleans was ranked dead last on defense in terms of yardage. The saints were also 31st in points allowed.

In Rob Ryan's first year as DC of the Saints, he took that dead-last defense to the 4th ranked defense in the league. The Saints went from 31st in points allowed to 4th.

Dallas' defense made significant improvements in his first year there, too.

Do these things not count, or does it somehow just make you feel better to think that everything Rob Ryan has ever touched has turned to ****?

He's just an assistant here anyway. He has the recent trend of helping teams in year one as DC. This is his first year here...I think there is a good chance he helps this team this year; in fact, I'd be surprised if he didn't.

9. Post thanked by:

Goobylal (05-29-2016),pmoon6 (05-29-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,557 Times in 17,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He's also the assistant head coach, I believe.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    That's just not true.

The year before Rob Ryan became Defensive Coordinator of the Saints, New Orleans was ranked dead last on defense in terms of yardage. The saints were also 31st in points allowed.

In Rob Ryan's first year as DC of the Saints, he took that dead-last defense to the 4th ranked defense in the league. The Saints went from 31st in points allowed to 4th.

Dallas' defense made significant improvements in his first year there, too.

Do these things not count, or does it somehow just make you feel better to think that everything Rob Ryan has ever touched has turned to ****?

He's just an assistant here anyway. He has the recent trend of helping teams in year one as DC. This is his first year here...I think there is a good chance he helps this team this year; in fact, I'd be surprised if he didn't.
    My bad he did have that one good year in New Orleans, his first year there.

Thanks for the correction.

Here's how stellar he is, he's had 2 seasons where his defenses have been in the top half of the NFL points allowed wise and 3 seasons where his defenses have been in the top half of the NFL yards allowed wise. His defense has been in the top half of the NFL turnovers wise 1 season.

Problem is, he's been a DC for 12 seasons.

12. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-28-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

LOL. Just like his brother. He who took the Jets to 2 AFCE championship games with aa team that Tannenbaum and Mangini built. So he is good 8% of the time and sucks royally 92% time. We should hang our hat on the 8%. Ok. Got it.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There's a plus side though. If Rex tries yelling at him like Payton did on the sidelines during games, Rob will take it to him, believe you me. That chaplain might jump in on Rex' side, but Rob is literally twice the man both of them are. Once they all get ejected, we'll see how the staff can really do.
    Last edited by Mace; 05-28-2016 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    My bad he did have that one good year in New Orleans, his first year there.

Thanks for the correction.

Here's how stellar he is, he's had 2 seasons where his defenses have been in the top half of the NFL points allowed wise and 3 seasons where his defenses have been in the top half of the NFL yards allowed wise. His defense has been in the top half of the NFL turnovers wise 1 season.

Problem is, he's been a DC for 12 seasons.
    Yeah well, I'm not going to sit and talk up Rob Ryan as a defensive coordinator. Stats are one thing and don't necessarily tell the story. But overall, his defenses have been mediocre...probably at best. How much of that was his fault, I don't know...probably quite a bit. I honestly don't understand how the man was a defensive coordinator for 12 consecutive seasons in the NFL with those results, to be honest.

But he isn't the DC here. I actually like the role they put him into in Buffalo, and that's my opinion. If ReX, Rob, and Dennis Thurman together can't turn this defense around this year, I can't see how any of those guys ever will.
    Last edited by feldspar; 05-28-2016 at 07:47 PM.

16. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-28-2016)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If ReX, Rob, and Dennis Thurman together can't turn this defense around this year, I can't see how any of those guys ever will.
    Brace yourself.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Jim Schwartz turned the defense around in a single season. All I am hearing is apologetic excuses for this clan of clowns.

Watch the Eagles this year. They have good coaches. Doug Pederson, Jim Schwartz, Frank Reich.

19. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (05-29-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Jim Schwartz turned the defense around in a single season. All I am hearing is apologetic excuses for this clan of clowns.

Watch the Eagles this year. They have good coaches. Doug Pederson, Jim Schwartz, Frank Reich.
    Jim Schwartz turned the #10 ranked defense into the #4 ranked defense. The Bills defense was already pretty good under Pettine. People forget that the Bills all-time sack record still stands from the 2013 season, when Pettine was the DC. The Bills already had a good pass defense when Schwartz got here...that didn't change much. What Schwartz helped turn around was the rush defense which, among other things, helped the Bills allow much fewer points. So, yeah, Schwartz did do a great job in his one season in Buffalo.

But if you look at Schwartz's entire body of work, it's not really that impressive...not consistently good by a longshot. For example, in his first season as defensive coordinator in Tennessee, all he did was turn the #1 defense from the previous year and turn it into the #25 defense. He helped take the #2 ranked team in points allowed, and turned it into the #25 team in points allowed...the team gave up almost 200 more points than the year before he got there.

In other words, I wouldn't go about hoisting Jim Schwartz on your shoulders and parade him around the town square just yet. Bad seasons happen, like the time Jim Schwartz's defense was ranked dead last in 2006 in Tennessee, with only one other team allowing more points.

Hell, if you want to justify demonizing Rex Ryan and aggrandizing Jim Schwartz, then compare their entire track records. Compare their results as Head Coaches, defensive Coordinators, and even their defenses when they were Head coaches. I guarantee you that Rex comes out way ahead in just about every category in the end. Here, these two links two links will make that pretty easy to do...one link for Ryan, and the other link for Schwartz:

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...es/SchwJi0.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...es/RyanRe0.htm

Again, I realize that stats aren't the end-all, but c'mon now.
    Last edited by feldspar; 05-29-2016 at 06:24 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Jim Schwartz turned the #10 ranked defense into the #4 ranked defense. The Bills defense was already pretty good under Pettine. People forget that the Bills all-time sack record still stands from the 2013 season, when Pettine was the DC. The Bills already had a good pass defense when Schwartz got here...that didn't change much. What Schwartz helped turn around was the rush defense which, among other things, helped the Bills allow much fewer points. So, yeah, Schwartz did do a great job in his one season in Buffalo.

What????

He took a 10 and made it 4 and the other took that 4 and made it 19. Pettines 10 wascranked up in sacks, it was the worst run D. Schwartz improved both stats in a different scheme. The sacks were better without blitzing.

Maybe you are right. Schwartz is not as good , that just means Rex sucks.

Youre only as good as your last performance. Rex destroyed that 4th ranked D. Fact!

What excuse are you going to make now rhat he has the players ro run his scheme if he doesnt even make top 10 in his 2nd year?

Theyre rookies? We wouldnt have needed to depend on rookiesnif Rex wasnt a scheme person. He does not know how to use players to their talent. Drop back Dareus!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Btw, Rexs D got owned by EJ Manuel and Marrone. .

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    What????

He took a 10 and made it 4 and the other took that 4 and made it 19. Pettines 10 wascranked up in sacks, it was the worst run D. Schwartz improved both stats in a different scheme. The sacks were better without blitzing.

Maybe you are right. Schwartz is not as good , that just means Rex sucks.

Youre only as good as your last performance. Rex destroyed that 4th ranked D. Fact!

What excuse are you going to make now rhat he has the players ro run his scheme if he doesnt even make top 10 in his 2nd year?

Theyre rookies? We wouldnt have needed to depend on rookiesnif Rex wasnt a scheme person. He does not know how to use players to their talent. Drop back Dareus!!!!!
    I'm sorry, but when did I make any excuse for Rex? Everything I said was fact. I was talking mainly about Schwartz, and then dared anyone to compare his track record to Rex's. Go ahead and do that, why don't ya?

Schwartz chose not to remain as DC last year. Some people wanted him as Head Coach after Marrone took his money and headed for the hills. But Schwartz's record as Head Coach is 29-51. The Lions improved on defense dramatically the year after he left, ironically enough...more so than the Bills did with him as DC. The Lions went 11-5 after he left, too.

And Rex did not "destroy" the defense. They had a not-so-good year, but the defense is still there. I personally expect them to be much better this year. The damage is hardly irrevocable.

If you want excuses I'll point to injuries...Schwartz had little, and Rex had big ones. Mario dogged it and made waves. Players have recently come out saying that they felt that the defense would just automatically be better because Rex was coach, and therefore didn't put in the required work. Admittedly, that could be a reflection of coaching. The ridiculous amount of penalties last year could be coaching too, but that's a different debate. Rex also wasted a lot of time during the season trying to blend his scheme with the things that worked for Schwartz the year before...that didn't work, so that was a mistake. Enough with the "dropping into coverage crap," too...that didn't happen all that much. Are those excuses? Maybe. But these things DID happen.

lol, where did you get that? It's a bit of a stretch. Geno Smith imploded in that game, and he turned the ball over FOUR times before he was yanked from the game. He was truly beyond awful in every way, and that's basically what happened in that game.

Please...

You know what Rex Ryan's defense did? It beat Peyton Manning and Tom Brady in consecutive road games in the playoffs. Why not bring THAT up?
    Last edited by feldspar; 05-29-2016 at 08:49 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

In 2014 Rexs D was owned by Kyle Orton

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Feldspar, taking the same D and making it better is what Wade Philipps did. Taking a very talented defense and making it worse is what Rex did.. these are facts .

Trying to use injury as an excuse is hogwash. Making Mario and Dareus drop is worse than using injury as an excuse. We could have had Clay Mathews and making him cover would be idiotic.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I would take Oettines defense from a few years ago over Rexs D from last year.