Thread: Rob Ryan's problems in New Orleans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Rob Ryan's problems in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    In 2014 Rexs D was owned by Kyle Orton
    Lol. Bull****.

Kyle Otron was efficient and threw 4 TDs, but the Jets QBs turned the ball over a whopping SIX TIMES in that game. That is the story of that game. Geno Smith threw three interceptions on three consecutive drives in the first quarter alone before he was yanked again. Remember that? Total snowball effect. Then Michael Vick replaced him, and he proceeded to turn the ball over another three times himself.

Geno Smith and the Jets QB problem happened again.

I'm not really too much of a Rex apologist, but please tell the truth or at least know what you are talking about.
    Last edited by feldspar; 05-29-2016 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    Feldspar, taking the same D and making it better is what Wade Philipps did. Taking a very talented defense and making it worse is what Rex did.. these are facts .

Trying to use injury as an excuse is hogwash. Making Mario and Dareus drop is worse than using injury as an excuse. We could have had Clay Mathews and making him cover would be idiotic.
    Does your hatred of Rex stop you from listening to what I said?

I think so.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,468 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Jim Schwartz turned the #10 ranked defense into the #4 ranked defense. The Bills defense was already pretty good under Pettine. People forget that the Bills all-time sack record still stands from the 2013 season, when Pettine was the DC. The Bills already had a good pass defense when Schwartz got here...that didn't change much. What Schwartz helped turn around was the rush defense which, among other things, helped the Bills allow much fewer points. So, yeah, Schwartz did do a great job in his one season in Buffalo.

But if you look at Schwartz's entire body of work, it's not really that impressive...not consistently good by a longshot. For example, in his first season as defensive coordinator in Tennessee, all he did was turn the #1 defense from the previous year and turn it into the #25 defense. He helped take the #2 ranked team in points allowed, and turned it into the #25 team in points allowed...the team gave up almost 200 more points than the year before he got there.

In other words, I wouldn't go about hoisting Jim Schwartz on your shoulders and parade him around the town square just yet. Bad seasons happen, like the time Jim Schwartz's defense was ranked dead last in 2006 in Tennessee, with only one other team allowing more points.

Hell, if you want to justify demonizing Rex Ryan and aggrandizing Jim Schwartz, then compare their entire track records. Compare their results as Head Coaches, defensive Coordinators, and even their defenses when they were Head coaches. I guarantee you that Rex comes out way ahead in just about every category in the end. Here, these two links two links will make that pretty easy to do...one link for Ryan, and the other link for Schwartz:

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...es/SchwJi0.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...es/RyanRe0.htm

Again, I realize that stats aren't the end-all, but c'mon now.
    I'll re-iterate...Schwartz did far more than a "#10" ranked defense to number four, improving the units performance in 10 of 11 major statistical categories, the only exception being interceptions. By contrast, Wrecks took the squad three steps backward finishing worse than both Pettine and Schwartz in seven of the 11.

Schwartz--(Pettine)--Wrecks. GREEN is better than Schwartz (notice there are none)...BLUE is better than Pettine (only three)...RED is worse than both (seven of eleven categories).

Points per game--4--(20)--15
    Yards per game--4--(10)--19
    Yards per point--3--(6)--9
    1st downs allowed per game--5--(12)--20
    3rd down % allowed--1--(14)--23
    Fumbles recovered--10--(25)--22
    Rush yards per game--11--(28)--16
    Passing yards per game--3--(4)--19
    Sacks--1--(2)--31
    Interceptions--6--(2)--6
    QB rating--2--(3)--

Yards per game, which is where the #10 and #4 rankings come from, is just a very small part of the entire picture.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

4. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (05-31-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I'll re-iterate...Schwartz did far more than a "#10" ranked defense to number four, improving the units performance in 10 of 11 major statistical categories, the only exception being interceptions. By contrast, Wrecks took the squad three steps backward finishing worse than both Pettine and Schwartz in seven of the 11.

Schwartz--(Pettine)--Wrecks. GREEN is better than Schwartz (notice there are none)...BLUE is better than Pettine (only three)...RED is worse than both (seven of eleven categories).

Points per game--4--(20)--15
    Yards per game--4--(10)--19
    Yards per point--3--(6)--9
    1st downs allowed per game--5--(12)--20
    3rd down % allowed--1--(14)--23
    Fumbles recovered--10--(25)--22
    Rush yards per game--11--(28)--16
    Passing yards per game--3--(4)--19
    Sacks--1--(2)--31
    Interceptions--6--(2)--6
    QB rating--2--(3)--

Yards per game, which is where the #10 and #4 rankings come from, is just a very small part of the entire picture.
    I'm taken aback by your shocking display of color coded figures.

The only problem is that I never said Rex did a good job with this defense in any way, and agreed that Schwartz did a great job in his one year.

Feel free to read back through my recent posts in this this thread and address what I actually DID say.
    Last edited by feldspar; 05-29-2016 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,468 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The only problem is that I never said Rex did a good job with this defense in any way, and agreed that Schwartz did a great job in his one year.

Feel free to read back through my recent posts in this this thread and address what I actually DID say.
    Sometimes you just have to pull out the crayons.

7. Post thanked by:

feldspar (05-29-2016)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,471 Times in 9,175 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Imho he loafed. Could have made it way more confusing with a little time and effort by giving Schwartz and (Pettine) their own colors.

9. Post thanked by:

feldspar (05-29-2016),YardRat (05-29-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Jim Schwartz turned the #10 ranked defense into the #4 ranked defense. The Bills defense was already pretty good under Pettine. People forget that the Bills all-time sack record still stands from the 2013 season, when Pettine was the DC. The Bills already had a good pass defense when Schwartz got here...that didn't change much. What Schwartz helped turn around was the rush defense which, among other things, helped the Bills allow much fewer points. So, yeah, Schwartz did do a great job in his one season in Buffalo.

But if you look at Schwartz's entire body of work, it's not really that impressive...not consistently good by a longshot. For example, in his first season as defensive coordinator in Tennessee, all he did was turn the #1 defense from the previous year and turn it into the #25 defense. He helped take the #2 ranked team in points allowed, and turned it into the #25 team in points allowed...the team gave up almost 200 more points than the year before he got there.

In other words, I wouldn't go about hoisting Jim Schwartz on your shoulders and parade him around the town square just yet. Bad seasons happen, like the time Jim Schwartz's defense was ranked dead last in 2006 in Tennessee, with only one other team allowing more points.

Hell, if you want to justify demonizing Rex Ryan and aggrandizing Jim Schwartz, then compare their entire track records. Compare their results as Head Coaches, defensive Coordinators, and even their defenses when they were Head coaches. I guarantee you that Rex comes out way ahead in just about every category in the end. Here, these two links two links will make that pretty easy to do...one link for Ryan, and the other link for Schwartz:

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...es/SchwJi0.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...es/RyanRe0.htm

Again, I realize that stats aren't the end-all, but c'mon now.
    For someone who claims not to be a Rex apologist you certainly sound like one. We all realize Schwartz's overall record. But the fact was he took a good defense, one we all liked under Pettine, and raised it. You seem to be forgetting all the angst here and in Bills fanworld about Schwartz when he came. He came to town with a lot of criticism. His trouble in Tennessee was personnel related mostly.

The fact is this. The Bills defense, personnel-wise, changed very little from 2013 (under Pettine) to 2015 (under Ryan).

Schwartz lifted that defense higher than fans expected he would and Ryan took it down. Trying to tell people that Ryan's overall record is good is a joke. In Baltimore it was the personnel that made the buffoon look good. He hasn't been good elsewhere. That makes your feeble attempt at a retort disingenuous and lame.
    Last edited by swiper; 05-30-2016 at 05:17 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Schwartz lifted that defense higher than fans expected he would and Ryan took it down. Trying to tell people that Ryan's overall record is good is a joke. In Baltimore it was the personnel that made the buffoon look good. He hasn't been good elsewhere. That makes your feeble attempt at a retort disingenuous and lame.
    I agree with most what you said. And I also think Rex is not a very good coach and he totally ruined the D. AND THEN he finds lame excuses (if Mario did not play well then bench him, you idiot). AND THEN he signed his brother who looked over the worst D last year. AND THEN of yourse his brother finds lame excuses ... That does not look good.
    But I disagree with the bolded part. He improved the Jets D quite a bit in his first year and had very good Ds for the first two or three years. And the Jets D was not that good prior to him. And they were number one in his first year. That is impressive. Unfortunately the change in the ranking during his first year with the Bills was just as impressive. Only in the wrong direction ...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

These two are just the Worst. They have no manner of self reflection and or ability to see what they've done wrong. They just go on the offensive and double down that they might get it right next time for no other reason that they get the next shot

Rex Ryan's game day coaching was forever questioned for me in the KC game. They didn't go back to Watkins and he listened to his people instead of his eyes on he hogan catch.

He will always be this clown until he decides not to be. By picking his bro instead of picking someone that could actually help shows how blind he is. I really hope it goes south in a hurry so that we can can him at the end of this season and not wait Til the next one

13. Post thanked by:

cookie G (05-31-2016),jimmifli (05-31-2016),Topas (05-31-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,877 Times in 4,006 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    These two are just the Worst. They have no manner of self reflection and or ability to see what they've done wrong. They just go on the offensive and double down that they might get it right next time for no other reason that they get the next shot

Rex Ryan's game day coaching was forever questioned for me in the KC game. They didn't go back to Watkins and he listened to his people instead of his eyes on he hogan catch.

He will always be this clown until he decides not to be. By picking his bro instead of picking someone that could actually help shows how blind he is. I really hope it goes south in a hurry so that we can can him at the end of this season and not wait Til the next one
    **Yes, the post will come out sounding negative****

You know, if Rex had ended up with, say the Broncos last year, and did to their defense what he did to the Bills, and then brought in the caretaker of the worst defense in NFL history to "right the ship"...people here would be laughing at the Broncos. And they would be laughing at what they said in the interview. (I laughed a lot, myself).

The ones who would be laughing the loudest would be the ones who now defend these 2.

If Michael Spinks and Trevor Berbick went public and blamed their Mike Tyson beat downs on their trainers..it would probably sound like that interview.

15. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (05-31-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

"I could beat mike. I believe in myself and my abilities. I know the numbers don't suggest that I can do it, and I've cherry picked a few stats here. can't wait for mynext chance to take on the champ."

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I would take Oettines defense from a few years ago over Rexs D from last year.
    I would take Jaurons 2006 defense over last years.

18. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-31-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

lol, where did you get that? It's a bit of a stretch. Geno Smith imploded in that game, and he turned the ball over FOUR times before he was yanked from the game. He was truly beyond awful in every way, and that's basically what happened in that game.
    and the bills defense had nothing to do with that?

Please...

You know what Rex Ryan's defense did? It beat Peyton Manning and Tom Brady in consecutive road games in the playoffs. Why not bring THAT up?
    aside from getting owned by Marrone, his D just got owned by the Jags last year who happens Marrone on the coaching staff again.

Lol. Bull****.

Kyle Otron was efficient and threw 4 TDs, but the Jets QBs turned the ball over a whopping SIX TIMES in that game. That is the story of that game. Geno Smith threw three interceptions on three consecutive drives in the first quarter alone before he was yanked again. Remember that? Total snowball effect. Then Michael Vick replaced him, and he proceeded to turn the ball over another three times himself.

Geno Smith and the Jets QB problem happened again.

I'm not really too much of a Rex apologist, but please tell the truth or at least know what you are talking about.
    once again, the bills D had something to do with that.

Does your hatred of Rex stop you from listening to what I said?

I think so.
    I don't hate Rex. If you look into my posts when we first got here, I was one of those who defended and gave him the benefit of a doubt. Hating him is wishing for him to fail and I am actually wishing he changes things around. So far , he hasn't done squat but yap his mouth while the D got worse. I am simply bashing his

He had the worst D out of Pettine , Schwartz and himself.

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

aside from getting owned by Marrone, his D just got owned by the Jags last year who happens Marrone on the coaching staff again.
    Well, our offense got owned by the Jags not our defense. We held the Jags to under 300 total yards of offense, and even had a pick 6. Our defense basically had a net of -6 points that weren't directly the result of an EJ turnover. That should have been enough to win by 20 points.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,900 Times in 3,466 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If you gave Rob and Rex two million dollars to manage they would turn you into millionaire's

Good news though for the Ryan apologists: if it really wasn't Rob's defense when he was DC in NO he can REALLY hide from ANY responsibility here, he's just an assistant. But if things go well he was the difference. See how that works? Just like last year wasn't Rex fault it was lazy Mario and the failure of the players to tell him they thought his scheme sucked for 2 months. Otherwise things would have been great.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    Well, our offense got owned by the Jags not our defense. We held the Jags to under 300 total yards of offense, and even had a pick 6. Our defense basically had a net of -6 points that weren't directly the result of an EJ turnover. That should have been enough to win by 20 points.
    No doubt that EJ had the worst game , but the bills had the lead but the Jags' O finished/closed the game. Our D folded like a cheap tent at crunch time. I would understand that if it was against the Pats, but this is the jags.
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 06-01-2016 at 09:54 AM.

23. Post thanked by:

YardRat (06-01-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No doubt that EJ had the worst game , but the bills had the lead but the Jags' O finished/closed the game. Our D folded like a cheap tent at crunch time. I would understand that if it was against the Pats, but this is the jags.
    That's far from 'getting owned' like you said. It also took a phantom pass interference call on 3rd and long (15?) to keep that drive alive, so they didn't 'fold like a cheap tent' either. The defense played well that game, you can't deny it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

and the bills defense had nothing to do with that?

once again, the bills D had something to do with that.
    I suppose you not just look at the stat sheet and revisit the games and watch what happened.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    That's far from 'getting owned' like you said. It also took a phantom pass interference call on 3rd and long (15?) to keep that drive alive, so they didn't 'fold like a cheap tent' either. The defense played well that game, you can't deny it.
    when your top D from a season ago with a head coach who is supposedly a defensive master could not close against the worst team in the league who has qb is in his 2nd year , you get owned. You may not agree with my definition but I see it as getting owned. This was Bortles and the jags.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

when your top D from a season ago with a head coach who is supposedly a defensive master could not close against the worst team in the league who has qb is in his 2nd year , you get owned. You may not agree with my definition but I see it as getting owned. This was Bortles and the jags.
    You're using one drive which included a phantom call that resulted in a touchdown to claim that the entire defense got owned for an entire game. Your definition of getting owned is trash. The defense gave up 13 points that weren't directly the result of EJ and they had a pick 6.

Bortles is no slouch, the guy threw for 4500 yards and 35 touchdowns, with 300 rushing yards and 2 more TDs. If we had a QB with close to those numbers you wouldn't be talking like that about him.

Did you actually watch any of these games that you're trying to discuss?