Thread: Tyrod Taylor's stat splits, trouble ?

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Tyrod Taylor's stat splits, trouble ?

Didn't see it mentioned. A beefy read for fans who care and like numbers, from Rumblings.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buff...-on-third-down

The author expresses concern with Taylor on later downs. I think I'm more concerned with Taylor staying healthy and having the chance to keep developing on the field. I still saw him as a rookie vet, and by that standard he did pretty well. At this point I'm inclined to think his issue with slow reads and occasional indecision is developmental. Can't know until he puts in another year.

Good article though imho.

2. Post thanked by:

YardRat (05-29-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,527 Times in 17,420 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Tyrod Taylor's stat splits, trouble ?

I don't think Taylor's stats are different enough from the top 30 in either category to support optimism or pessimism...he was an average QB that could run last season, we all know that. I agree this year's performance is going to tell us (or should) much more.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

4. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-29-2016),WagonCircler (05-30-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I don't think Taylor's stats are different enough from the top 30 in either category to support optimism or pessimism...he was an average QB that could run last season, we all know that. I agree this year's performance is going to tell us (or should) much more.
    Agree, Donald. I'm not thrown off by his 4 years in the league. He was essentially a rookie starter. He only has one real season of stats to date.

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

At least the Bills are waiting to throw money at him to be sure.

7. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-29-2016),Night Train (05-30-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 3,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Reality of the matter we don't know what we have but the stats & the end results haven't matched up. We made a 8-8 record or better for 2 years in a row for the first time since 1999-2000, that's something there.
    Last edited by Skooby; 05-29-2016 at 07:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Tyrod fails on obvious passing downs. He has incredible spirit and drive and carried this team to a sub par record. And for the record, Roman sucks. Tyrod needs to fix his 3-4 WR stats.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,895 Times in 4,355 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Didn't see it mentioned. A beefy read for fans who care and like numbers, from Rumblings.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buff...-on-third-down

The author expresses concern with Taylor on later downs. I think I'm more concerned with Taylor staying healthy and having the chance to keep developing on the field. I still saw him as a rookie vet, and by that standard he did pretty well. At this point I'm inclined to think his issue with slow reads and occasional indecision is developmental. Can't know until he puts in another year.

Good article though imho.
    Buffalo NY, where we consider 5th year Quarterbacks basically a rookie.
    Been doing it for Rob Johnson, JP Losman, and EJ Manuel.
    5th year is a new one, usually we only do it for their 2nd or 3rd year in the league.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,527 Times in 17,420 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    5th year is a new one, usually we only do it for their 2nd or 3rd year in the league.
    At least we didn't waste a first rounder on Taylor. I guess I look at it this way...we took a shot on a project sixth-round QB and it's time to see what he has...the only variation of the theme is we let another team develop him for four years.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    At least we didn't waste a first rounder on Taylor. I guess I look at it this way...we took a shot on a project sixth-round QB and it's time to see what he has...the only variation of the theme is we let another team develop him for four years.
    I agree with this, but the downside is that the pursuit of a franchise QB continues to have zero urgency in Whaley's bizarro-world.

A guy would bundles first round picks like they're rolled pennies too trade up for an injury prone Wide Receiver, but who apparently deems the QB position as insignificant, drafting only one QB since the horrendous EJ Manuel, that guy being a worthless project.

No serious effort has been made to address the position. The baseless arrogance is sickening.

Just keep kicking the can down the road.

13. Post thanked by:

Mouldsie (06-08-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Taylor is what we seen in 2015, if you believe he is gonna act like a rookie and get better your wrong, he will learn but the fact is he still gonna be 6 ft tall, he still gonna have trouble throwing over the middle and he still gonna have trouble reading defense's quick enough. one things for sure that reading defenses comes from the class room not in reps so if he has trouble reading defense's in year 5 he always will have trouble. I think TT is a great quarterback on any team but not as your franchise guy, coming off the bench would be the thing for him to do but the media will drive him to thinking he is something he is not. Baltimore who has 2 rings too there credit wouldn't let a possible franchise QB go for nothing, if they thought he was that good they would have tried to trade him not let him go for nothing, my opinion.

15. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    Has nothing to do with Buffalo. These were the first 14 starts of his career, no matter how long he's been on rosters, fresh and new to starting regular season games and facing weekly action.

There's no way around it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mdcas22 View Post
    one things for sure that reading defenses comes from the class room not in reps so if he has trouble reading defense's in year 5 he always will have trouble.
    That doesn't make any sense to me at all and I disagree completely. Classroom theory never matches practical experience and game day defenses can be expected to be dynamic not static. Peyton manning improved continuously in reading defenses through his career until his arm gave out. Film helps, but nothing matches seeing it live.

18. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-31-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    I agree with this, but the downside is that the pursuit of a franchise QB continues to have zero urgency in Whaley's bizarro-world.

A guy would bundles first round picks like they're rolled pennies too trade up for an injury prone Wide Receiver, but who apparently deems the QB position as insignificant, drafting only one QB since the horrendous EJ Manuel, that guy being a worthless project.

No serious effort has been made to address the position. The baseless arrogance is sickening.

Just keep kicking the can down the road.
    Well, what franchise QB's since Manuel though ? To date there are 5 starters (Winston, Mariota, Bridgewater, Carr & Bortles), they're 44-73 with the only winning season being Bridgewater last year, out of the 46 qb's drafted besides Manuel from 2013 on.

I don't know if Taylor develops, but franchise QB's are just rare.

20. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-31-2016),Mr. Cynical (06-05-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yea, yea, Bills should have traded to get a top tier QB...

Who should've they traded to get?

Man the whining here gets old..

22. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (06-03-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

TT was the best first year starting QB by far.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Well, what franchise QB's since Manuel though ? To date there are 5 starters (Winston, Mariota, Bridgewater, Carr & Bortles), they're 44-73 with the only winning season being Bridgewater last year, out of the 46 qb's drafted besides Manuel from 2013 on.

I don't know if Taylor develops, but franchise QB's are just rare.
    This unfortunately is the cold, hard truth. Just really take a good look at the qbs that have been drafted over the last say 5-10 years. How many of them are franchise? I actually didn't realize just how bad the qb crop has been not just for us, but for everyone. Seriously....that's 14 QBs on the list that are still in the league, dating back to 2004. Really makes you see why you should spend $$$ on college recruiting, and then $$$ on the best shot. The elite QBs literally do not come along often AT ALL. The problem is also luck too, since you have to suck REALLY bad at just the right time.

2015: Too early to tell
    2014: David Carr
    2013: Complete wash out (the year we drafted EJ)
    2012: Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins (Tannehill, Osweiler on the bubble)
    2011: Cam Newton, Andy Dalton (Tyrod, we'll see)
    2010: Complete wash out (Bradford may turn it around but doubtful)
    2009: Matthew Stafford
    2008: Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco
    2007: Complete wash out
    2006: Jay Cutler
    2005: Aaron Rodgers
    2004: Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Rothlisberger (And JP LOSERMAN)
    Last edited by Mr. Cynical; 06-05-2016 at 06:43 PM.

25. Post thanked by:

HHURRICANE (06-06-2016),Mace (06-05-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cynical View Post
    This unfortunately is the cold, hard truth. Just really take a good look at the qbs that have been drafted over the last say 5-10 years. How many of them are franchise? I actually didn't realize just how bad the qb crop has been not just for us, but for everyone. Seriously....that's 14 QBs on the list that are still in the league, dating back to 2004. Really makes you see why you should spend $$$ on college recruiting, and then $$$ on the best shot. The elite QBs literally do not come along often AT ALL. The problem is also luck too, since you have to suck REALLY bad at just the right time.

2015: Too early to tell
    2014: David Carr
    2013: Complete wash out (the year we drafted EJ)
    2012: Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins (Tannehill, Osweiler on the bubble)
    2011: Cam Newton, Andy Dalton (Tyrod, we'll see)
    2010: Complete wash out (Bradford may turn it around but doubtful)
    2009: Matthew Stafford
    2008: Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco
    2007: Complete wash out
    2006: Jay Cutler
    2005: Aaron Rodgers
    2004: Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Rothlisberger (And JP LOSERMAN)

Kind of surprised me the first time I looked at the list of drafted QB's over the past decade. I'm not pretending I knew it all along, lots of guys on that list I really wanted us to draft at the time. Looking back at their performances I have to admit they weren't all that good.

For me it started with really looking at Luck. Sure thing, franchise QB, completely worth a losing season. But not really, he's only .500 outside his previously feeble division. "Suck for Luck !"....why ? His stats aren't that much diff from Dalton who doesn't have the same measurables. Your first thought in comparing the two is c'mon Dalton is no Luck.

A lot of QB's are just good enough to remain hopeful about another year. That's good, because you're hopeful, but bad because you keep waiting to see. Like with Taylor. It's good he has promise, but you have to have doubts, so the position slides one more season to see. You can be sure of the Franchise guys, even the reliable starters that can or might raise their game, the bubble guys you're stuck with, same as you get stuck with the aging franchise guys who want lotsa money like Brees or Peyton though their better days might be behind them, because the alternative is that list of drafted QB's who went nowhere quick, and the next crop of the same.

I really think the college game in general has drifted enough from the pro game where you aren't going to see stunning QB classes anymore, with the likes of Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Mannings and such few and far between.

Best bet is like with Newton, Wilson, Dalton....build an offense to the QB's talents not try and fit him into the wrong hole.

I'm not really sure what the Bills are doing yet. Maybe Taylor's talents fit the offense, but they don't if he can't process reads. Not real sure they're building the offense to fit Taylor or trying to fit the offense into Taylor.

I'm think you just need a clever, adaptable OC to build around a talented prospect. Fitting the prospect into system just doesn't work well anymore.

Roman ? I don't know. He's a system guy. Harbaugh ran his passing game with Kaepernick's success and then fall. So that leaves Lee and Lal, maybe Palmer on the staff who do passing game. I dunno. Would any of them change their system for a Luck type QB ? Or are they still looking for the system guy who might fit....Lee did wildcats, Roman likes mobile to suit his running game. What if a skilled immobile guy fell into their laps ?

Everyone would be happy we added a skilled guy, he wouldn't fit the system, he'd be another name on the list. After a couple years of doing this, everyone who wanted us to keep taking QB's until we get it right would be infuriated that we keep wasting picks on QB's who don't work out.Is it the QB or the system ? Both.

Rare that it fits well enough to get you over the top, slightly less rare that it gets you anywhere, fairly common you wait 3 years and try again.
    Last edited by Mace; 06-05-2016 at 08:09 PM.

27. Post thanked by:

Mr. Cynical (06-06-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Great post Mr. Cynical!!

That's what I keep saying to all the people *****ing here. Who are we getting?

The year we screwed up was in 2004 when we should have traded up to get one of the elites. Everyone knew that was a great class.

29. Post thanked by:

Mr. Cynical (06-06-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I just hope TT's aversion to the middle of the field is fixable. If he can start making those throws, and IF the defense becomes elite, then I think playoffs are definitely a strong possibility. Lots of IFs (not to mention people staying healthy, which to date hasn't happened)

31. Post thanked by:

Mace (06-07-2016)