Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: IMO - Bills will bring Fitzpatrick back

Thanks
    Thanked 5,220 Times in 3,689 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

IMO - Bills will bring Fitzpatrick back

How about us bringing Fitz back as back-up ?? It doesn't look like the Jets are going to re-sign him and he might be willing to take a relatively cheap deal, maybe $6 Million a year for 2-3 years. Then we can toss away our current trash (EJ) and have Fitz mentor C. Jones in the meantime to see if he can come around.

Right now, we have no back-up so this type of insurance when the coaches (Brothers) are on the hot-seat really has meaning for them. We remember last season when Tyrod went down ?? It cost us big-time & I don't Rex has that kind of time. We need a Frank Reich type of guy & Fitz could step in as needed, he's a smart guy.

2. Post thanked by:

HHURRICANE (06-04-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,170 Times in 5,901 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: IMO - Bills will bring Fitzpatrick back

Stop cutting the pills. Take full doses. You need the full prescribed dosage there, chief.

4. Post thanked by:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

BertSquirtgum (06-06-2016),BillsImpossible (06-03-2016),Boomstick (06-03-2016),Dr. Lecter (06-03-2016),DraftBoy (06-03-2016),Fixxxer (06-03-2016),Ingtar33 (06-03-2016),justasportsfan (06-03-2016),Mace (06-03-2016),OpIv37 (06-03-2016),swiper (06-03-2016),trapezeus (06-03-2016)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    How about us bringing Fitz back as back-up ?? It doesn't look like the Jets are going to re-sign him and he might be willing to take a relatively cheap deal, maybe $6 Million a year for 2-3 years. Then we can toss away our current trash (EJ) and have Fitz mentor C. Jones in the meantime to see if he can come around.

Right now, we have no back-up so this type of insurance when the coaches (Brothers) are on the hot-seat really has meaning for them. We remember last season when Tyrod went down ?? It cost us big-time & I don't Rex has that kind of time. We need a Frank Reich type of guy & Fitz could step in as needed, he's a smart guy.
    He wants more dough:

..."Fitzpatrick is willing to accept a one-year deal from the Jets that would include $12 million in guaranteed money, a source informed of the offer told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport. The only problem? The Jets aren't interested in signing the veteran quarterback to those terms, Rapoport reported.

The New York Daily News first reported Fitzpatrick's counteroffer.

As it stands, the Jets are hoping to sign Fitzpatrick to a three-year, $24 million contract that could rise to as much as $36 million with incentives. That offer, which would include $12 million in the first year, according to Rapoport, has been on the table since March."...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...k-counteroffer
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That's not happening. No way they pay him.
    How about Nick Foles ? He is on his way out in LA. I'd rather have him backing up then putting EJ in there.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,220 Times in 3,689 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by k-oneputt View Post
    That's not happening. No way they pay him.
    How about Nick Foles ? He is on his way out in LA. I'd rather have him backing up then putting EJ in there.
    Well there's an idea, we need someone and Rex is in a pinch if TT goes down again. If the Bills make the playoffs as a wildcard team, Rex & his brother have 3 years or more left. If they win the division (long-shot but possible), it's 5 years minimum.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And if they need to turn to EJ again they will have sealed their fate.

9. Post thanked by:

Skooby (06-03-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,299 Times in 13,729 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Even if the Bills wanted him back, there is no way to get him under the cap.

11. Post thanked by:

Historian (06-07-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ban
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

13. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (08-04-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Even if the Bills wanted him back, there is no way to get him under the cap.
    Everyone is just going to have to get over the fact that EJ is out back up. I don't like it either, but his salary is guaranteed, he knows the system and we don't have cap space for someone else.

This team drafted EJ in the first. They doubled down the following year when they spent two firsts on Sammy because a) a great WR is useless with no QB and b) that first could have been used to draft his replacement. Then last year, the FO spent a ton knowing they were hosing the cap for this year. It's an insane level of mismanagement, and because of it, we are stuck with EJ for another year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Drafting Sammy and spending last year had no effects on us keeping ej on this roster. He cost the exact same to cut or keep so you might as well keep him. The only thing I will concede is that he may have been our third qb but he would still be on this team no matter what.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    Drafting Sammy and spending last year had no effects on us keeping ej on this roster. He cost the exact same to cut or keep so you might as well keep him. The only thing I will concede is that he may have been our third qb but he would still be on this team no matter what.
    Trading our 2015 first round draft pick to draft Sammy cost us a potential opportunity to replace EJ in the first round of that draft. Would the Bills have done that? I don't know- maybe. But they took the option completely off the table when they traded the pick.

And the spending last year absolutely cost us the opportunity to replace EJ this year. If we had more cap space, we could eat his cap hit for a year and sign a better back-up. But we are too tight to the cap to eat dead space for a player who isn't here. Again, the FO left themselves no option.

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Trading our 2015 first round draft pick to draft Sammy cost us a potential opportunity to replace EJ in the first round of that draft. Would the Bills have done that? I don't know- maybe. But they took the option completely off the table when they traded the pick.
    We had the pick of any QB in the draft not named Mariota or Winston (who obviously went 1-2 overall) with our 2nd round pick. Garrett Grayson was the next QB taken and we almost could have had him with our 3rd round pick.

I dislike the Sammy trade as much as any, but it had zero affect on our ability to draft a QB in 2015.

18. Post thanked by:

IlluminatusUIUC (06-04-2016),Mace (06-03-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This team drafted EJ in the first. They doubled down the following year when they spent two firsts on Sammy because a) a great WR is useless with no QB and b) that first could have been used to draft his replacement.
    Actually, that's not true at all.

After Winston and Mariota (who were taken 1st and 2nd overall), another QB was not taken until the third round last year. That was Garrett Grayson. Then you have Sean Mannion taken later in the 3rd, Bryce Petty in the 4th, Brett Hundley in the 6th, and Trevor Siemian in the 7th. Those are ALL the QBs drafted last year. All developmental flyers.

If by "draft EJ's replacement" in 2015 you mean getting a potential starter, you'd be plum out of luck. I assume that's what you are talking about if you are referring to a first-round draft choice. Would you actually draft any of those guys I mentioned in the first round that were available? I didn't think so. We had no shot at Mariota or Winston, remember. Everyone else was available to the Bills much later.

No, Tyrod Taylor turned out to be the best option the Bills could have went for IMO, or at least it seems that way at this point in time. Who else exactly would you have preferred that was realistically available during that stretch?

Hell, if you are talking about the 2015 draft, I'd prefer EJ Manuel as backup over all the other drafted QBs taken after the first two picks. That is not a ringing endorsement of EJ Manuel, but a reflection of who was available.

Then last year, the FO spent a ton knowing they were hosing the cap for this year. It's an insane level of mismanagement, and because of it, we are stuck with EJ for another year.
    Again, who was available for the backup spot this offseason? Or even the starter spot? You act like QBs grow on trees. IMO, the best we could have done was a Matt Schaub, Brian Hoyer or Matt Moore (who probably would want to stay in Miami anyway). Any one of those guys would have been within Buffalo's salary cap range is the point.

I don't know what kind of fantasy land of chagrin you live in, but I don't see what QBs were available that would be too much better than what the Bills have now.

Enlighten me. What would YOU have done?
    Last edited by feldspar; 06-03-2016 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    We had the pick of any QB in the draft not named Mariota or Winston (who obviously went 1-2 overall) with our 2nd round pick. Garrett Grayson was the next QB taken and we almost could have had him with our 3rd round pick.

I dislike the Sammy trade as much as any, but it had zero affect on our ability to draft a QB in 2015.
    And the clairvoyant Bills knew this when they traded the pick a year earlier? Come on.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

IMO- Hot Dogs are NOT a sandwich.

22. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (06-03-2016),gebobs (06-06-2016),Mace (06-03-2016),sukie (06-06-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Actually, that's not true at all.

After Winston and Mariota (who were taken 1st and 2nd overall), another QB was not taken until the third round last year. That was Garrett Grayson. Then you have Sean Mannion taken later in the 3rd, Bryce Petty in the 4th, Brett Hundley in the 6th, and Trevor Siemian in the 7th. Those are ALL the QBs drafted last year. All developmental flyers.

If by "draft EJ's replacement" in 2015 you mean getting a potential starter, you'd be plum out of luck. I assume that's what you are talking about if you are referring to a first-round draft choice. Would you actually draft any of those guys I mentioned in the first round that were available? I didn't think so. We had no shot at Mariota or Winston, remember. Everyone else was available to the Bills much later.

No, Tyrod Taylor turned out to be the best option the Bills could have went for IMO, or at least it seems that way at this point in time. Who else exactly would you have preferred that was realistically available during that stretch?

Hell, if you are talking about the 2015 draft, I'd prefer EJ Manuel as backup over all the other drafted QBs taken after the first two picks. That is not a ringing endorsement of EJ Manuel, but a reflection of who was available.

Again, who was available for the backup spot this offseason? Or even the starter spot? You act like QBs grow on trees. IMO, the best we could have done was a Matt Schaub, Brian Hoyer or Matt Moore (who probably would want to stay in Miami anyway). Any one of those guys would have been within Buffalo's salary cap range is the point.

I don't know what kind of fantasy land of chagrin you live in, but I don't see what QBs were available that would be too much better than what the Bills have now.

Enlighten me. What would YOU have done?
    Once again, the clairvoyant Bills somehow knew what the backup QB FA situation would have been in 2016?

They knew EJ was struggling. They knew Tyrod was a question mark. And they hosed the cap for 2016 knowing this.

In both instances, they made moves that took the option completely off the table a year in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Once again, the clairvoyant Bills somehow knew what the backup QB FA situation would have been in 2016?

They knew EJ was struggling. They knew Tyrod was a question mark. And they hosed the cap for 2016 knowing this.

In both instances, they made moves that took the option completely off the table a year in advance.
    Way to dodge everything I said.

Forget about what actually happened. Are you complaining that the Bills got lucky or something? lOL, you HAVE to get lucky to get a quality QB, and I don't care WHO you are. Luck is a huge element in that.

Talk about clairvoyance. We Now have the benefit of hindsight. Say the Bills didn't pick EJ at all, and you were in charge of the entire team. WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE TO GET A QB from the 2013 offseason until now? Gimme something, because now you have the benefit of hindsight. Seriously, I'd like to know. I'm not trying to come across as hostile.

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And the clairvoyant Bills knew this when they traded the pick a year earlier? Come on.
    Who cares if they knew it or not? The fact is that it didn't matter and your argument is pointless.

Bills do something bad - "What a bunch of idiots running this organization."

Bills do something good - "What a lucky bunch of idiots running this organization."

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Way to dodge everything I said.

Forget about what actually happened. Are you complaining that the Bills got lucky or something? lOL, you HAVE to get lucky to get a quality QB, and I don't care WHO you are. Luck is a huge element in that.

Talk about clairvoyance. We Now have the benefit of hindsight. Say the Bills didn't pick EJ at all, and you were in charge of the entire team. WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE TO GET A QB from the 2013 offseason until now? Gimme something, because now you have the benefit of hindsight. Seriously, I'd like to know. I'm not trying to come across as hostile.
    Jesus Christ that would take a lot of time to figure out.

But it's not really about me. Clearly, what the team did didn't work and we are still paying the price for it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    Who cares if they knew it or not? The fact is that it didn't matter and your argument is pointless.

Bills do something bad - "What a bunch of idiots running this organization."

Bills do something good - "What a lucky bunch of idiots running this organization."
    Yeah, who cares if they gamble the future and stick us with a useless QB for 4 years? I mean, clearly they know what they're doing. That's why the team wins so much.

28. Post thanked by:

swiper (06-03-2016)