• stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: Whaley is feeling the heat

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    Rex is a goner if the Bills don't make the playoffs, according to Jimbo:
    http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/no-...y-out-of-a-job
    Also said today by CBSSports pundit Canfora:

..."Rex Ryan, Bills: The bluster only increased his hot seat, and while the Bills can try to pretend things are harmonious between coaching staff and front office, the turmoil is well known. New ownership needs a decent product at some point, and Terry Pegula has the means to eat a big contract. Mounting injuries to young key players won't help. I wouldn't be surprised if Rex is slaying it sitting behind a TV desk come the playoffs."...

Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
      Making Spirits Bright
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Mace View Post
      About 11 posts up.

Seems Brandon steered Pegulas to Rex from Carucci and Rodak.

Rodak : Team president Russ Brandon was so impressed that he told owner Terry Pegula not to let Ryan out of the building.

Carucci : Brandon and General Manager Doug Whaley were the ones who led the Pegulas to Ryan. Brandon sold the owners on the immediate box-office value

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/05/29/bills-mailbag/
      There's really not a lot of substance to any of that, mostly just a bit of yapping by a couple of writers. I'm still putting the Ryan hire on the Pegula's, the one's who actually hired him.

Comment

• Mace
        Haha...yeah you think so ?
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
        There's really not a lot of substance to any of that, mostly just a bit of yapping by a couple of writers. I'm still putting the Ryan hire on the Pegula's, the one's who actually hired him.
        Yapping !

Well, that's fine if you want to, but I'll go on believing Brandon & Whaley influenced them. Let's face it, they were looking for a czar to guide them, and Terry himself admitted he was learning on the fly about football if you were paying attention, and talked Brandon up, being impressed enough to also give him a Sabres role.

Pegulas had to be listening and leaning on someone in the organization for the search. It was prominently mentioned Whaley & Brandon had previous experience in the search process. Brandon is a happy gladhander with a vague football knowledge, the only applicable football guy he could work with is Whaley.

So the owners had to lean on someone, they are not idiots and admittedly not football experts. It's not hard to put 2 & 2 together, especially when Rodak and more so, Carucci (who has deep ties and exp) note it.

It's like anything else, you can believe what you want to believe, but it makes no sense to me unless you also have corresponding sources who say Pegulas made the decision on their own. Do you have any links to support your opinion ? I'm open to them. I gave you links to my basis of conclusion, give me some for yours.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
          • Jun 2024

Mace nail it!

Can we close this thread because he just won the internet?

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
            Legendary Zoner
            • May 2009

Yapping !

Well, that's fine if you want to, but I'll go on believing Brandon & Whaley influenced them. Let's face it, they were looking for a czar to guide them, and Terry himself admitted he was learning on the fly about football if you were paying attention, and talked Brandon up, being impressed enough to also give him a Sabres role.

Pegulas had to be listening and leaning on someone in the organization for the search. It was prominently mentioned Whaley & Brandon had previous experience in the search process. Brandon is a happy gladhander with a vague football knowledge, the only applicable football guy he could work with is Whaley.

So the owners had to lean on someone, they are not idiots and admittedly not football experts. It's not hard to put 2 & 2 together, especially when Rodak and more so, Carucci (who has deep ties and exp) note it.

It's like anything else, you can believe what you want to believe, but it makes no sense to me unless you also have corresponding sources who say Pegulas made the decision on their own. Do you have any links to support your opinion ? I'm open to them. I gave you links to my basis of conclusion, give me some for yours.
            The Pegula's 100% percent hired the big dummy with little input from Whaley.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Seems Brandon steered Pegulas to Rex from Carucci and Rodak.

Rodak :

With three weeks left, several statements Rex Ryan made in his introductory news conference as Buffalo's coach have fallen short of being true.

Carucci :

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/05/29/bills-mailbag/

If that's the case, then **** Brandon, Whaley, and everything New England.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
                The Pegula's 100% percent hired the big dummy with little input from Whaley.
                Ok, there's one source.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                  Making Spirits Bright
                  • Mar 2006

Yapping !

That's certainly one theory.

I don't have any links to hard evidence, same as you.

I do have links to the Pegula's not trusting Whaley enough to want to hire a 'czar' to run the football side of things. You've already read those links, as you said the same thing yourself. One could theorize that if they didn't trust Whaley enough to run the team, they wouldn't trust him enough to select a new coach.

Just another theory.

Comment

• Mace
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                    That's certainly one theory.

I don't have any links to hard evidence, same as you.

I do have links to the Pegula's not trusting Whaley enough to want to hire a 'czar' to run the football side of things. You've already read those links, as you said the same thing yourself. One could theorize that if they didn't trust Whaley enough to run the team, they wouldn't trust him enough to select a new coach.

Just another theory.
                    I gave you two more links from beat sportswriters with sources than you came up with.

Flaw in your theory, is that they didn't hire a czar and trusted Whaley after all, and there he was during the whole thing, evidently impressing them enough to extend him so they felt they needed no czar. I doubt he did that by being excluded, and I can't imagine why you would.

Comment

• Mace
                      • Mar 2013

Tim Graham and John Wawrow via Rumblings, 2 more.

After Terry Pegula attempted to bring in a football czar in Bill Polian, many were curious what that would mean for two of the top men in the organization but it appears President Russ Brandon and General Manager Doug Whaley are both safe for the time being. According to twin reports from The Buffalo News' Tim Graham and John Wawrow of the Associated Press, Whaley will be leading the coaching search and getting help from Brandon.
                      Doug Whaley's job looks safe for now as he's the one leading the coaching search. And he's being advised by Russ Brandon.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                        Making Spirits Bright
                        • Mar 2006

I gave you two more links from beat sportswriters with sources than you came up with.
                        Neither of them prove anything, though.

Whaley - "Here's a list of coaches I think we could hire. It includes Bevell, Gase, Quinn, Reich, Shanahan, Shurmur, Jackson, Ryan, Kyle Shanahan, Schwartz, Roman, and Austin."

Pegula - "We're hiring Ryan."

Newspaper headline - WHALEY INFLUENCES PEGULA TO HIRE REX

See how that proves/means nothing?

Flaw in your theory, is that they didn't hire a czar and trusted Whaley after all, and there he was during the whole thing, evidently impressing them enough to extend him so they felt they needed no czar. I doubt he did that by being excluded, and I can't imagine why you would.
                        The fact that they couldn't convince Polian to come on board does not automatically mean they now trust Whaley more. It only shows that at one point, they sure as hell didn't trust him enough to run the team.

Maybe they trust him now more because he was against the Ryan hire and he's being proven right.

What were the terms of his extension? Anyone know? Maybe it's a team friendly extension that has protections if they don't make the playoffs. Just a theory, though. Rarely do teams like to let their coach/GM work on a 1 year deal. Extending them provides insurance on the chance that the Bills have a successful year and Whaley holds them ransom for a ton of money to stay. That's just business.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

I can forgive Whaley for whiffing on EJ.
                          I can forgive Whaley for possibly 'over-paying' for Watkins.
                          I still have to work on getting to a place where I can forgive Whaley for the drunken spending spree on shiny toys last off-season.
                          I can never forgive him if he was influential in bringing Wrecks on board.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
                            • Mar 2013

Stay down Fo, I'm up 4 beat writers to 0, and concentrate on the other thread.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                              Making Spirits Bright
                              • Mar 2006

I'm up 4 beat writers to 0
                              We're all tied up, then.

Comment

• coastal
                                Legendary Zoner
                                • Mar 2005