Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Whaley is feeling the heat

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Whaley is feeling the heat

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    Nah, I don't want to cause you stress by you actually thinking.

Just ignore my posts and continue on your merry happy little way towards just being happy there still is a team in Buffalo.

Winning professional sports championships is for other much better cities and fan bases like Cleveland.

Just enjoy the ride that will soon approach 20 years.
    Lol...very nice.

You got Whaley getting fired next year after Rex throws him under the bus...and so on, and so forth. I don't give a **** who wants to have a negative outlook, but your particular roadmap that you want to state as fact is ridiculous.

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Lol...very nice.

You got Whaley getting fired next year after Rex throws him under the bus...and so on, and so forth. I don't give a **** who wants to have a negative outlook, but your particular roadmap that you want to state as fact is ridiculous.
    OK.

No problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

terry pegula wasn't a land acquirer and got lucky off the fracking that ensued...he was one of the guys that developed fracking. he is a smart guy. its true that his ownership of sports teams have not been successful so far, but the sabres are on the right path. terry seems like an old school kind of business man. he gives people a shot to do it their way. the bills seem to be a huge mess and Brandon is largely the roadblock to any future success. the best thing for the bills is to have a tire fire season and get rex and russ out and let them build a team around people who care about winning.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    terry pegula wasn't a land acquirer and got lucky off the fracking that ensued...he was one of the guys that developed fracking. he is a smart guy. its true that his ownership of sports teams have not been successful so far, but the sabres are on the right path. terry seems like an old school kind of business man. he gives people a shot to do it their way. the bills seem to be a huge mess and Brandon is largely the roadblock to any future success. the best thing for the bills is to have a tire fire season and get rex and russ out and let them build a team around people who care about winning.
    Pegula's on record as loving Brandon. Loved him so much he turned over running the Sabres to him in addition to the Bills. That doesn't make him too smart in my book.

5. Post thanked by:

Historian (06-26-2016),Mace (06-25-2016),Slick (06-27-2016)

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Pegula's on record as loving Brandon. Loved him so much he turned over running the Sabres to him in addition to the Bills. That doesn't make him too smart in my book.
    There are book smarts and street smarts.

Pegula has neither.

He has frackin' land rights acquisition smarts.

Not particularly useful when owning a people based business like professional football.

7. Post thanked by:

swiper (06-25-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Pegula has neither.

Not particularly useful when owning a people based business like professional football.
    Exactly. Everybody turned a blind eye to the possibility of this problem when he came in on his white horse and saved the franchise from the likes of Trump and Bon Jovi.

We're seeing the problem with the disparity between "Fracking smarts" and "sports ownership smarts" in spades now.

9. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Kraft is about the only person with sports ownership smarts, problem for him is it includes cheating. So basically, the owners are just lucky and catch breaks here and there.

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's interesting to see people call a billionaire an idiot while they probably have to ask their boss if they want Friday off.

12. Post thanked by:

Mace (06-25-2016),Night Train (06-25-2016)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    It's interesting to see people call a billionaire an idiot while they probably have to ask their boss if they want Friday off.
    I'm glad someone else sees the irony.

14. Post thanked by:

Joe Fo Sho (06-26-2016)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,471 Times in 9,175 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    I can agree with this. I'm not happy about Brandon, but...

I'm not giving up on Pegula so quick though. In terms of business, lot of businessmen make a billion, lose 2 billion, end up overreaching like Rigas, hitting a stasis like Rich, never diversify much like Golisano, flail around like Trump.

Pegula jumped in to the Buffalo pool with enthusiasm, perhaps learned harshly with the Sabres, before finding a gem (imho) in Tim Murray as GM. Bylsma, I dunno, but he gets another year of my patience with a young roster. Pegula perhaps learned harshly again with Rex (I sure think he did), and maybe has learned to take Brandon with a grain of salt from it, no telling yet.

But like with anything, you can overreach with enthusiasm until it evens out with knowledge learned from painful experience. Kraft for example inherited Parcells. His first real coach choice was Carroll, team declined for 3 years before he hit on Belichick.

Pegula has not been complacent, Harbor Center is a dynamic type of progress, as was his deal with MSG network. His business interests are expanding and diversifying toward sports, and he's already said the family is in this for the long haul, even if he dies, then over to Kim who seems to take it seriously, They seem genuinely happy and content to be involved with Buffalo and Buffalo sports as an integral part of their future business direction.

Feelings don't mean crap, you can't qualify them, but I'll say that to me it feels like a slow, steady focused change in direction and perspective. Proof will of course be in the pudding, and I wish Brandon kept to his field, but I just can't write the Pegulas off this quick. Ownership learning curve.

It's easy to get impatient and annoyed because we've been waiting now for so damn long, but the clock on their potential only recently started ticking.

16. Post thanked by:

Night Train (06-25-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I get your point in this case, but I have no problem whatever calling Trump an idiot. He's a rich idiot, but still an idiot. Some idiots have more money. some idiots run faster, some idiots drive better, some idiots know more about certain things, but they're still idiots in more things than they aren't. Best trait is knowing what you don't know, to keep from being an idiot.

18. Post thanked by:

Joe Fo Sho (06-26-2016)

SpikedLemonade

Yeah you are a hero.

Unless I am looking in the mirror, I am asking no one.

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    I'm glad someone else sees the irony.
    The blind see very little.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,074 Times in 15,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Pegula has neither.

I think he's an astute businessman, I really do. He has gotten a lot done downtown, after 40 years of politics and gridlock, so I don't think brains are the problem.

I think his problem is that he's a terrible communicator, meaning, he trips over words, sometimes stutters, and is basically a shy person.

I believe that's why he employs the opposite....people who can schmooze, (Kim) people who can sell, (Brandon) and people who can communicate/BS better. (Rex)

I think its that simple.

I just hope that someone, either he or Kim, at some point, take a hard look at the Administrative structure of the Bills, and realize that most of Ralph's 'yes-men' need to be shown the door.

22. Post thanked by:

Mouldsie (06-29-2016),Slick (06-27-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I get your point in this case, but I have no problem whatever calling Trump an idiot. He's a rich idiot, but still an idiot. Some idiots have more money. some idiots run faster, some idiots drive better, some idiots know more about certain things, but they're still idiots in more things than they aren't. Best trait is knowing what you don't know, to keep from being an idiot.
    Yeah, you can certainly call Trump an idiot when it comes to certain things, just like you can say that Pegula hasn't made the best football decisions during the year and a half he's owned the Bills. However, to say that Trump has neither book nor street smarts is just foolish.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah you are a hero.
    Thanks! I am but a single man, though. I may not be the person this community needs, but I'm definitely the man we all deserve.

Unless I am looking in the mirror, I am asking no one.
    Eh, jizz moppers are overbooked on Fridays anyway.

25. Post thanked by:

Mace (06-26-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's amusing to me that some of you armchair psychos think you can judge Pegula's level of intelligence from here.

Can you judge his level of sanity, too? Maybe he's just completely insane. Did you ever think of that? LOL

SpikedLemonade

Thanks!t I'm definitely the man we all deserve.

28. Post thanked by:

Joe Fo Sho (06-27-2016),Mace (06-26-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah, you can certainly call Trump an idiot when it comes to certain things, just like you can say that Pegula hasn't made the best football decisions during the year and a half he's owned the Bills. However, to say that Trump has neither book nor street smarts is just foolish.
    Well, someone with book smarts will know judges don't write bills, especially since his sister is one and he's running for president, and someone with street smarts has to be around people on the street beyond high society social circles. I've never seen evidence of either. I will say, he has salesman smarts and take advantage of weak minded-people smarts that combine with being born into the right family have allowed him to sustain himself with the momentum large amounts of money can sustain.

Not to make this about Trump though, I'll again say Pegula has demonstrated a significant intelligence in diversifying solidly into sports and sports related business. I absolutely don't think Pegula is an idiot but again, is learning as he goes, which makes it significant to his upside as an owner through the future.

Maybe he'll always be vulnerable to a high level gladhander like Brandon, but then again, maybe he won't as he gains knowledge and experience.

30. Post thanked by:

Joe Fo Sho (06-27-2016)