Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The JATM gets healthy. Thread 2.

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,322 Times in 7,560 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The JATM gets healthy. Thread 2.

Ok, gonna try to keep the personal BS outta this one. I'm doing much better in that respect.

So, I've been working out more. Continued to diet. So, some good news.

I've now lost 36 pounds. Started at 223, now I'm 187. Stomach is much flatter, chest looking better. Arms and shoulders are getting toned. Legs could use work.

And running. I started running a few weeks ago. At first, I was done after 8 minutes. Now I'm up to 15, no problem. Biggest issue is i get bored.

And the real good news? Resting heart rate has plummeted. My heart is actually healthier now. I can actually see the results. I'll keep giving updates. Any more food tips and work out tips would be welcome.
    Last edited by JATMtheJATM; 06-07-2016 at 11:10 AM.

2. Post thanked by:

Ginger Vitis (06-08-2016),sukie (06-07-2016),upstart (06-08-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,917 Times in 2,416 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The JATM gets healthy. Thread 2.

I do an elliptical for 20 minutes followed by my bowflex 4 times a week. I as well lost 16 lbs now at 195ish. I feel awesome but I still tend to eat whatever at weekends.

It's amazing that after the first couple of months listening to the voice in my head giving me excuses NOT to work out and having to override those justifications...... I now miss working out, if unable, and it is now the new voice in my head telling me to do it.
    Last edited by sukie; 06-07-2016 at 11:42 AM.

4. Post thanked by:

JATMtheJATM (06-07-2016)

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    I do an elliptical for 20 minutes followed by my bowflex 4 times a week. I as well lost 16 lbs now at 195ish. I feel awesome but I still tend to eat whatever at weekends.

It's amazing that after the first couple of months listening to the voice in my head giving me excuses NOT to work out and having to override those justifications...... I now miss working out, if unable, and it is now the new voice in my head telling me to do it.
    Same here. Now that I actually see progress, it drives me. I regret all the times I was too lazy to do so in the past.

And Im telling you. My fitbit was one of the best purchases I ever made.

6. Post thanked by:

sukie (06-07-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have no use for heart rate or calories burned. If I am doing cardio them lifting... I need nothing on my sweaty wrists telling me anything. I am a sweater. I sweat watching other people work.

But I agree with the progress is a driver notion. I have near zero shoulder pain and I noticed when I started on the elliptical in my bedroom with AC on... I would sweat my first facial droplets at 7 minutes or so. 5 months later I see them at 10-11 minutes and my recovery when done, is much quicker.

Who woulda thought.

8. Post thanked by:

JATMtheJATM (06-07-2016)

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have no use for heart rate or calories burned. If I am doing cardio them lifting... I need nothing on my sweaty wrists telling me anything. I am a sweater. I sweat watching other people work.

But I agree with the progress is a driver notion. I have near zero shoulder pain and I noticed when I started on the elliptical in my bedroom with AC on... I would sweat my first facial droplets at 7 minutes or so. 5 months later I see them at 10-11 minutes and my recovery when done, is much quicker.

Who woulda thought.
    I tend to sweat the most when I finish my run. I'll sweat during, but once I stop, boom. It all comes out

10. Post thanked by:

sukie (06-07-2016)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,273 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    Ok, gonna try to keep the personal BS outta this one. I'm doing much better in that respect.

So, I've been working out more. Continued to diet. So, some good news.

I've now lost 36 pounds. Started at 223, now I'm 187. Stomach is much flatter, chest looking better. Arms and shoulders are getting toned. Legs could use work.

And running. I started running a few weeks ago. At first, I was done after 8 minutes. Now I'm up to 15, no problem. Biggest issue is i get bored.

And the real good news? Resting heart rate has plummeted. My heart is actually healthier now. I can actually see the results. I'll keep giving updates. Any more food tips and work out tips would be welcome.
    Should we send you a trophy?
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Should we send you a trophy?
    Yes

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Your trophy will be a pair of fat pants.

I keep a pair of size 48's hanging on the closet door to remind me, every day, of just how big I used to be.
    ...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
    it's Don't Tread On Me.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by rbochan View Post

I keep a pair of size 48's hanging on the closet door to remind me, every day, of just how big I used to be.
    Wow. I can't imagine 48's. I topped out at 36 now I still wear those and can "pants" myself by jumping up and down... I like the two belt holes tighter requirement now. It's amazing how a little exercise can go so far. It's not like I train like an athlete or eat extremely healthy... I eat wings once in a while... Goldfish cracker munching. I grab a few Oreo's here and thee... I just eat less all day but have the 4-5 day 1 hour routine. I actually work out so I can eat whatever I want.

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by rbochan View Post

Kinda funny you mention this. When I got my work uniform, I got them large cause I like baggy clothing. Comfort thing. But when I lost weight, they got REALLY baggy. So I exchanged all my uniforms for new, smaller uniforms 2 months ago. Now? New uniforms are way too big.

My waist has ways been small, I just had a large belly above it. But my waist is getting smaller and my belly is too (though I still have a belly, it's just shrinking)... I'm now able to wear shirts that I haven't been able to in years. They got too small as I got larger. My old, XL shirts are embarrassingly massive now.

I did have wings yesterday from a local place that has amazing wings. My boss brought them in for our department meeting. God damn they were good.

Now it's back to pears, pineapple, and diced up plain chicken for today, and a veggie smoothie
    Last edited by JATMtheJATM; 06-10-2016 at 12:04 PM.

16. Post thanked by:

sukie (06-10-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wow. I can't imagine 48's. I topped out at 36 now I still wear those and can "pants" myself by jumping up and down... I like the two belt holes tighter requirement now. It's amazing how a little exercise can go so far. It's not like I train like an athlete or eat extremely healthy... I eat wings once in a while... Goldfish cracker munching. I grab a few Oreo's here and thee... I just eat less all day but have the 4-5 day 1 hour routine. I actually work out so I can eat whatever I want.
    I wear a 36 now. That's where my hip bones are, so I'll never go smaller. My body's fairly broad naturally, but when I dropped 140 lbs in about 18 months, it looked like I was wearing a Rob suit for quite a while.

Everyone asked if I was ill...

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So, my home scale is an old scale that was an antique when I was a kid. I used a more modern scale today and it says either I gained 3 pounds, or the scale at home is off. I haven't really deviated from my diet (had beers a few nights ago and some chips and salsa) but nothing to gain 3 pounds, unless working out a few times has caused me to gain muscle. I think my scale back home is just junk, personally.

Getting a new, modern scale here soon. Been running longer lately, been doing more exercises. I learned while my shoulders are more toned now, they are weaker, so I'm working on those now too.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,675 Times in 6,101 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So, my home scale is an old scale that was an antique when I was a kid. I used a more modern scale today and it says either I gained 3 pounds, or the scale at home is off. I haven't really deviated from my diet (had beers a few nights ago and some chips and salsa) but nothing to gain 3 pounds, unless working out a few times has caused me to gain muscle. I think my scale back home is just junk, personally.

Getting a new, modern scale here soon. Been running longer lately, been doing more exercises. I learned while my shoulders are more toned now, they are weaker, so I'm working on those now too.
    Scales are not always accurate, especially if you are weight training. You can have your body fat percentage calculated or you can just use your clothes as an indicator.

Btw, if you are dieting to lose weight, it's doubtful that you are gaining any muscle mass. You can't do both at the same time. If you are trying to gain muscle, you also have to eat to gain weight, mainly lots of protein.

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    Scales are not always accurate, especially if you are weight training. You can have your body fat percentage calculated or you can just use your clothes as an indicator.

Btw, if you are dieting to lose weight, it's doubtful that you are gaining any muscle mass. You can't do both at the same time. If you are trying to gain muscle, you also have to eat to gain weight, mainly lots of protein.
    I eat chicken almost every day. I'm trying to lose weight and tone up. I'm doing both.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I eat chicken almost every day. I'm trying to lose weight and tone up. I'm doing both.
    Tone is not building muscle, just sos ya know. You are working the muscle so you are getting blood flow and improving neural pathways. You are not increasing the size of the muscle cells themselves if you are on a calorie restricted diet.
    Last edited by pmoon6; 06-14-2016 at 05:19 PM.

22. Post thanked by:

Blondie (06-27-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

P.S. eating chicken everyday means what? You have to eat one to two grams protein per pound of bodyweight to facilitate muscular hypertrophy.

24. Post thanked by:

Blondie (06-27-2016)

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

P.S. eating chicken everyday means what? You have to eat one to two grams protein per pound of bodyweight to facilitate muscular hypertrophy.
    Oh I have no idea

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,273 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yes
    How long have you been going steady with yourself?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Oh I have no idea
    That's why I'm telling you. The short explanation is what you're doing know is basically what I'm doing. You are on a maintenance cycle to lose body fat, but not muscle. I'm trying to strip the excess fat I put on over the winter in my muscle building phase. I gained about 3 to 5 pounds of muscle and increased my lifts by 15%. You could do better because you still have lots of testosterone being under 40. I don't have that advantage without supplementing.

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That's why I'm telling you. The short explanation is what you're doing know is basically what I'm doing. You are on a maintenance cycle to lose body fat, but not muscle. I'm trying to strip the excess fat I put on over the winter in my muscle building phase. I gained about 3 to 5 pounds of muscle and increased my lifts by 15%. You could do better because you still have lots of testosterone being under 40. I don't have that advantage without supplementing.
    I upped my protein intake a little and also am adding more to to my workouts