Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The dog ate my homework and I'm reporting overweight because.....

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The dog ate my homework and I'm reporting overweight because.....

From Boomer & Carton this morning. Karlos Williams is just 23 and having his 4th child!

Travis Henry is that you?

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    From Boomer & Carton this morning. Karlos Williams is just 23 and having his 4th child!

Travis Henry is that you?
    He's probably just Catholic.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    He's probably just Catholic.
    Having children out of wedlock, I doubt so.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

how many articles that highlight potential risks do we have to dismiss until we can say, "wow, it looks like 2016 is going to look about the same as 2015?" for the people who don't want discussions on message board and want us to all sit back and relax that our first rounder is out, our lead back has not participated, our back up TD running back is out of shape, our two backups can't make passes without pads on, our coach thinks his idiot brother will make it better first." But its june, no one is allowed to comment.

5. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (06-15-2016),OpIv37 (06-15-2016),YardRat (06-15-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    how many articles that highlight potential risks do we have to dismiss until we can say, "wow, it looks like 2016 is going to look about the same as 2015?" for the people who don't want discussions on message board and want us to all sit back and relax that our first rounder is out, our lead back has not participated, our back up TD running back is out of shape, our two backups can't make passes without pads on, our coach thinks his idiot brother will make it better first." But its june, no one is allowed to comment.
    That's about right. Not too much to look forward to at this point.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    the lack of accountability within this organization is the issue here...
    No it isn't.

The issue here is that Karlos Williams is being a dumbass...AGAIN. Read his draft profile here:

"'Explosive Rushes' (15-plus yards) fell off substantially in 2014. Gained additional weight preseason, which appears to have slowed him. Lost starting job to freshman."

"He seemed almost content to lose his job in 2014..."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profil...ams?id=2552380

The guy only actually played RB in college for two years, and he showed up overweight between those two years.

The issue here is personal discipline, which is reflected already in the same way in his brief history. Discipline issues should come as no shock for a guy that was expecting his 4th child at age 22. Maybe he "didn't even try" birth control.

If Papa can't play as well as others, you bet there will be consequences for him. The Bills have the depth at RB for some serous competition as it is.
    Last edited by feldspar; 06-15-2016 at 09:51 AM.

8. Post thanked by:

Victor7 (06-15-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,298 Times in 13,728 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    No it isn't.

The issue here is that Karlos Williams is being a dumbass...AGAIN. Read his draft profile here:

"'Explosive Rushes' (15-plus yards) fell off substantially in 2014. Gained additional weight preseason, which appears to have slowed him. Lost starting job to freshman."

"He seemed almost content to lose his job in 2014..."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profil...ams?id=2552380

The guy only actually played RB in college for two years, and he showed up overweight between those two years.

The issue here is personal discipline, which is reflected already in the same way in his brief history. Discipline issues should come as no shock for a guy that was expecting his 4th child at age 22. Maybe he "didn't even try" birth control.

If Papa can't play as well as others, you bet there will be consequences for him. The Bills have the depth at RB for some serous competition as it is.
    Well, the people that drafted a guy with discipline issues will not be held accountable for making that draft choice.

The coaches will not be held accountable for not trying to motivate a guy with known discipline issues.

And Karlos will only be held accountable if our depth at RB proves to be as good as it looks on paper (and if we are that talented, the same thing would have happened even without the weight issue).

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well, the people that drafted a guy with discipline issues will not be held accountable for making that draft choice.

The coaches will not be held accountable for not trying to motivate a guy with known discipline issues.

And Karlos will only be held accountable if our depth at RB proves to be as good as it looks on paper (and if we are that talented, the same thing would have happened even without the weight issue).
    It's nice that you are right no matter what. You get some new information, twist your story around, and are still right all along somehow.

Who is going to hold YOU accountable for being a jerkoff like that?

Karlos Williams was a 5th round pick. You take risks on guys picked in that area. I would not call him a bad pick just yet...would you? If he wants to show up overweight, that's on him and him alone. Nobody in the Bills organization is responsible for that. How were they supposed to stop him?

Besides all that, the guy has about 3 months to work that off.

So, Karlos Williams shows up overweight...who is to be held accountable for that and how exactly, in your estimation?
    Last edited by feldspar; 06-15-2016 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

agreed, its not a terrible pick at 5, and his stats through one year were pretty good, though he was slowed by injuries.

the bills still had to pick another back, and they saw gillisee do just as well. so if the bills had a view that their offense could be plug and play with any rb but aided by 1 superstar runningback, why waste a pick at all on an RB? and then why do it again in the following draft?

ultimately, to me, it looks like the bills simply have no view on how they want to build their team. they just put out fires as they come up and when they don't, we have a guy named Leon Joe as a starting LB.

I would rather have a FO that had a specific view, failed, and then left than having this lack of vision, pick random players in draft, aid it with additional free agent pick ups and then start all over when that didn't work. that is what is so unaccountable for Brandon and his minions. they just do whatever, and Brandon will sell anyone of them down the river to keep his gig. but tell me more about how he's just a marketing guy. he's the Kaiser soze at this point. No one believes he does as much damage as he does.

12. Post thanked by:

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Some players show up fat and out of shape to minicamp all over the NFL. This is not isolated to the bills.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

agreed, its not a terrible pick at 5, and his stats through one year were pretty good, though he was slowed by injuries.

the bills still had to pick another back, and they saw gillisee do just as well. so if the bills had a view that their offense could be plug and play with any rb but aided by 1 superstar runningback, why waste a pick at all on an RB? and then why do it again in the following draft?
    I'm not completely sold on Gillislee. The sample size is too small, and his stats were drastically inflated because of a handful of carries...some really nice memorable runs, though. He had carries of 50 yards, 60 yards, 30 yards, and 19 yards all within his first 21 carries for the Bills. Outside of that, he went for 108 yards on 44 carries, averaging 2.45 yards per carry. Not to take anything away from his big plays, but I'll need to see more. Remember when he had the most carries in the last game against the Jets? He didn't do well at all, although the Jets had a vey good run-stop unit, granted.

I don't think the Bills were as plug-and-play at RB as it might seem. You saw the injuries that the Bills had at the position last year. THAT'S why they drafted Williams and then Williams (Karlos and Jonathon)...those two were actually drafted at #155 and #156 respectively. They need depth at the position considering the schemes they want to run.

ultimately, to me, it looks like the bills simply have no view on how they want to build their team. they just put out fires as they come up and when they don't, we have a guy named Leon Joe as a starting LB.

I would rather have a FO that had a specific view, failed, and then left than having this lack of vision, pick random players in draft, aid it with additional free agent pick ups and then start all over when that didn't work. that is what is so unaccountable for Brandon and his minions. they just do whatever, and Brandon will sell anyone of them down the river to keep his gig. but tell me more about how he's just a marketing guy. he's the Kaiser soze at this point. No one believes he does as much damage as he does.
    Of course the Bills have a vision on how they want to build the team. Ground-and-Pound, for a lack of better phrase. Run the ball, be efficient and limit mistakes at QB, and play defense. I would think that would be pretty obvious for anyone that follows the team.

They obviously like speed at the WR position so they can stretch the field and draw Safeties back, which helps open up the running game...the fact that Taylor throw a very good deep ball helps a lot with that too (and he can run).

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Karlos Williams was a 5th round pick. You take risks on guys picked in that area. I would not call him a bad pick just yet...would you? If he wants to show up overweight, that's on him and him alone. Nobody in the Bills organization is responsible for that. How were they supposed to stop him?
    Exactly. The Bills organization isn't even allowed to keep him in shape during the offseason. The CBA doesn't allow for that. The players need to be grown ups during that time and keep in shape as that's what their extremely high paying job requires.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Some "commitment" Karlos is showing to his football career. Add to that his durability issues and this guy doesn't seem smart enough to be around for long. Hope you are saving some dollars from your 5th round rookie deal Karlos. Kids ara expensive my man.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's nice that you are right no matter what. You get some new information, twist your story around, and are still right all along somehow.

Who is going to hold YOU accountable for being a jerkoff like that?

Besides all that, the guy has about 3 months to work that off.

So, Karlos Williams shows up overweight...who is to be held accountable for that and how exactly, in your estimation?
    First, nothing you said had anything to do with Williams being held accountable. You basically said "if we have better players he won't be on the team" which has to do with talent and not accountability.

Second, if I'm the coach and I have a guy that I know has off-season discipline issues, I'm gonna send him home with a diet and workout plan and have scheduled check-ins to make sure he's following it. I'd also find a way to give him some kind of incentive or disincentive depending on how he did- not sure what the CBA or his contract allow but I'd find something. In the end, it's still only up to Karlos but at least the coaches would be doing what they could.

Finally, I'll give you the fifth round pick thing. That is a good place to take a gamble on someone who slipped. Still, people love to talk about how well Whaley has drafted but I don't always see it, especially when it comes to stuff like this.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,558 Times in 17,442 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalogic View Post
    Some players show up fat and out of shape to minicamp all over the NFL. This is not isolated to the bills.
    Not making the playoffs this century is.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

19. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

First, nothing you said had anything to do with Williams being held accountable. You basically said "if we have better players he won't be on the team" which has to do with talent and not accountability.
    I figure that it goes without saying that if a player doesn't play well, his stock will go down. He'll be held accountable for his own play, I think. We'll see if he gets his weight back down and in better shape in time for it to matter.

But he hasn't played a down this year yet, Chicken Little.

Second, if I'm the coach and I have a guy that I know has off-season discipline issues, I'm gonna send him home with a diet and workout plan and have scheduled check-ins to make sure he's following it. I'd also find a way to give him some kind of incentive or disincentive depending on how he did- not sure what the CBA or his contract allow but I'd find something. In the end, it's still only up to Karlos but at least the coaches would be doing what they could.
    Scheduled check-ins are against the CBA rules. If you were a coach who did that, you'd get fined or worse.

And what makes you think that he wasn't schooled in nutrition and diet by the team? I venture to submit that he was. You can't MAKE him follow any plan in the end, either, like you say.

The chance to have a successful NFL career should be incentive enough. He's a big boy now (and apparently getting bigger still). Maybe you'd give him a gold star for eating his veggies, but I'm not sure I've ever heard of any such thing in the NFL. Have you?

Finally, I'll give you the fifth round pick thing. That is a good place to take a gamble on someone who slipped. Still, people love to talk about how well Whaley has drafted but I don't always see it, especially when it comes to stuff like this.
    I don't know how anyone could have foreseen him coming back out of shape. It happened once in his life that we know of, and that was before he was a paid professional. You'd hope he learned his lesson that time, especially when he lost his starting spot later on down the line that season. But this time it's for real...he needs to feed his family, and this time that's no cliche.

Are you going to tell me that you think Karlos Williams was a bad draft pick now?
    Last edited by feldspar; 06-15-2016 at 06:07 PM.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Not making the playoffs this century is.
    We could have made the playoffs, we're just saving ourselves for the right year.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's self inflicted. Cannot babysit everyone on the roster.

If he cuts himself by eating himself out of the league, then he can look in the mirror for the one and only person to blame...while dialing China King for takeout..

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I figure that it goes without saying that if a player doesn't play well, his stock will go down. He'll be held accountable for his own play, I think. We'll see if he gets his weight back down and in better shape in time for it to matter.

But he hasn't played a down this year yet, Chicken Little.

Scheduled check-ins are against the CBA rules. If you were a coach who did that, you'd get fined or worse.

And what makes you think that he wasn't schooled in nutrition and diet by the team? I venture to submit that he was. You can't MAKE him follow any plan in the end, either, like you say.

The chance to have a successful NFL career should be incentive enough. He's a big boy now (and apparently getting bigger still). Maybe you'd give him a gold star for eating his veggies, but I'm not sure I've ever heard of any such thing in the NFL. Have you?

I don't know how anyone could have foreseen him coming back out of shape. It happened once in his life that we know of, and that was before he was a paid professional. You'd hope he learned his lesson that time, especially when he lost his starting spot later on down the line that season. But this time it's for real...he needs to feed his family, and this time that's no cliche.

Are you going to tell me that you think Karlos Williams was a bad draft pick now?
    Got a link that says scheduled check-ins are against the CBA?

And what makes me think he wasn't schooled in diet and nutrition by the team is the fact that this organization has proven time and time again that they are completely incompetent. I'm not willing to give them benefit of the doubt on anything. So, unless you have evidence that he was schooled in diet and nutrition, assuming that he was is something this organization has not earned.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,558 Times in 17,442 Posts
    Power to Give Rep