Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bills "aren't going to $15 million" for CB Stephon Gilmore

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,913 Times in 4,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills "aren't going to $15 million" for CB Stephon Gilmore

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    I'm just tired of watching first round picks walk because the Bills don't know what they're doing.

Eventually you have to keep a nucleus.
    To be fair there's not many 1st round picks that walked that produced much on their new team.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Torn on this topic. Gilmore is a very good corner don't ever doubt that. But the going rate for top corners these days is stupid high. I'm not sure ANY corner is worth 13-15 million a year.

If there is some sort of magic way to play with the cap and get him signed to a team friendly deal I'm all for it. But if the only option is a bank breaking deal then time to move on.

3. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (06-21-2016)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    To be fair there's not many 1st round picks that walked that produced much on their new team.
    Yeah, I'm having a hard time thinking of a 1st round pick that we let walk that was a bad decision. The only player recently would be Lynch, who we traded because we're stupid. Then for me it would be Antoine Winfield, but that's going back a ways.

Spiller - meh
    Maybin - HA
    McCargo - pfffft
    Whitner - HA
    JP - pffft
    Mike Williams - pfffffffffffft
    Clements - maybe, although he was not worth the money he got
    Flowers - pfffft

5. Post thanked by:

Mace (06-21-2016),TacklingDummy (06-22-2016)

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    Letting guys get to the final year is the problem. You can't get a good deal. You have to pay fair market because if you don't 1/31 other teams will.

How much could we have signed him for last season? A big upfront signing bonus a year early is worth more than waiting two years for an extra couple of million per year.

But if we insist on letting guys get to the end of their deal, then it's better to resign them than run the continual revolving door of talent we have for the last two decades.
    "letting guys"... I love how we think the Bills have all the control in these situations.

If a player is thought of as one of the best young players at his position early on in their rookie deal we think they will just sign a lower extension rather than to wait for the big pay day? Why would they do that again?

He'll be re-signed. And it will likely be with a cap hit of 10 mill or less in year one.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

we kept dareus. for the bills and Gilmore, he's had his share of injuries and while he has been good to great, his stats and the games he hasn't played makes you think you can replace him with a second tier FA DB. if the bills are about the rush, then they should have the coverage with soft zone and loose man to man if darby locks the other side down. yes, it'd be great to have 2 perfect DBs, but at contract time it will cost you. I like Gilmore, but I think I can live without a high priced secondary. especially if darby doesn't slump

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    Yeah, I'm having a hard time thinking of a 1st round pick that we let walk that was a bad decision. The only player recently would be Lynch, who we traded because we're stupid. Then for me it would be Antoine Winfield, but that's going back a ways.

Spiller - meh
    Maybin - HA
    McCargo - pfffft
    Whitner - HA
    JP - pffft
    Mike Williams - pfffffffffffft
    Clements - maybe, although he was not worth the money he got
    Flowers - pfffft
    You should reconsider the trading Lynch move as stupid. It was probably best for both sides. Buffalo was not a setting that made Lynch happy, his personality traits weren't going over well here, he was bored in his down time and getting himself into trouble. I don't think Lynch would have done so well over time, nor managed to keep from straying into trouble here. It was thought that sending him toward his beloved west coast would accelerate it, but instead it restored the comfort level that brought out the eclectic best of him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    You should reconsider the trading Lynch move as stupid. It was probably best for both sides. Buffalo was not a setting that made Lynch happy, his personality traits weren't going over well here, he was bored in his down time and getting himself into trouble. I don't think Lynch would have done so well over time, nor managed to keep from straying into trouble here. It was thought that sending him toward his beloved west coast would accelerate it, but instead it restored the comfort level that brought out the eclectic best of him.
    Marshawn had 2,600 yards from scrimmage during his first 2 years here. He must've been at least moderately happy here at the beginning. We should have done everything in our power to keep him happy, he was pretty much all we had offensively. We cut his carries in half in 2009 and then drafted CJ in the 1st round, I'm sure he didn't like that a whole lot.

As far as the trade working out evenly for both sides, I'd like for you to revisit the careers of Tank Carder and Chris Hairston.

I'm certainly a little bit biased, as I've been one of Lynch's biggest fan since we drafted him..and I still am.

10. Post thanked by:

Mouldsie (06-29-2016)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    Marshawn had 2,600 yards from scrimmage during his first 2 years here. He must've been at least moderately happy here at the beginning. We should have done everything in our power to keep him happy, he was pretty much all we had offensively. We cut his carries in half in 2009 and then drafted CJ in the 1st round, I'm sure he didn't like that a whole lot.

As far as the trade working out evenly for both sides, I'd like for you to revisit the careers of Tank Carder and Chris Hairston.

I'm certainly a little bit biased, as I've been one of Lynch's biggest fan since we drafted him..and I still am.
    Lynch turned out great on the west coast. You can't ignore the problems he was having here. Ran someone over in the bar area, swiped someones money. You also can't ignore that what plays on the west coast as personality, plays as nuts in some places. Lynch knew that too.

I'm a big fan of Lynch, but it wasn't going to end well here, where he was a big fish in a small pond where he clearly wanted nothing more than to be just a fish in a big pond outside his football. The attention was obviously affecting him outside the game. Lynch always just wanted to be Lynch, and that wasn't going to happen here for long.

12. Post thanked by:

Joe Fo Sho (06-22-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As an organization if we are not committed to signing our 1st rounds picks long term, then we shouldn't be picking #1 at that position.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post

This is more of a function of poor drafting and player development rather than anything else.

15. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (06-22-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Lynch turned out great on the west coast.
    Lynch was great while he was here, too.

You can't ignore the problems he was having here.
    Sure you can, just watch as I ignore your next 3 sentences.

I'm a big fan of Lynch, but it wasn't going to end well here, where he was a big fish in a small pond where he clearly wanted nothing more than to be just a fish in a big pond outside his football. The attention was obviously affecting him outside the game. Lynch always just wanted to be Lynch, and that wasn't going to happen here for long.
    It wasn't perfect for Lynch over in Seattle either. He was fined $50,000 for avoiding the media in 2013. He held out during training camp for a bigger contract. The guy was going to have problems in any market he was in, we should have kept him here for as long as we could have. He seemed to have no problem with the Buffalo community during his Kenny Mayne interview at Applebee's while obviously taking a dig at McGahee for how he refused to embrace the city.

17. Post thanked by:

Mouldsie (06-29-2016),Victor7 (06-22-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

turf, taking someone in first round comes with a 4 y contract and 1Y extension, I believe. if he's a day one starter, you have a good player for 4 years and you get to see their durability. I think your intention should be to resign them, but at some positions, if they aren't definitely top 5, there is no way you should bust the cap for a top 10 player when you can get his replacement for much cheaper.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    I'm with the Bills on this one, he's not worth anywhere close to $15 mil per season.
    Define worth though...

A player who is either equal or worse than Gilmore signed for 15 mil per season, which means the market just went up.

The NFL salary cap is increasing and the premium positions are QB, LT, Pass rusher, WR and CB. All of those positions revolve around a passing league.

Therefore if we are talking worth, Gilmore is a top 10 CB and a player in his talent level signed a contract for 15 mil. So technically speaking, he is worth 15 mil.

You can factor in injury history but that won't fly in negotiations because Gilmore will get his market value here or somewhere else.

20. Post thanked by:

Mouldsie (06-29-2016),Skooby (06-22-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Another way to do this is to simply franchise tag Gilmore in March.

The tag is $13,952,000 for CBs so that is exactly where his contract would be anyway.

In the meantime you see who out of the young CBs we have who can step up and if we have none on the roster after next season then you either sign or draft a cheaper player with equal talent.

22. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (06-22-2016)

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,913 Times in 4,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    As an organization if we are not committed to signing our 1st rounds picks long term, then we shouldn't be picking #1 at that position.
    How many 1st round picks would you have signed long term let's say the past 20 years?