Thread: Top Sabres Free Agent Targets

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Top Sabres Free Agent Targets

The Sabres backend is a mess. Anyone not named Rasmus Risto is nothing but a question mark at this point, and that certainly includes goalies. Tim Murray's year end presser mentioned two areas of need... a power play QB and goalie. So for as much as I'd love to get my Stamkos on, we realistically shouldn't invest another huge frontline contract when Eichel and Samson will have to be dealt with at some point, and ROR has his current big deal. That being said... here's who I think the Sabres target.

1.) Keith Yandle - he's the quintessential power play QB. He's an elite, albeit not generational, puck mover and distributor. He may not be lockdown defenseivley but what our current group of highly talented forwards lacks is someone who can get them the puck quickly. Yandle is as durable as they come and takes a world of pressure off of Rasmus. He's heading into his 30s and with the style he plays will go to his late 30s before he drops off significantly. Oh... he's a leftie too! His presence alone, solidifies the Sabres as being a legitimate playoff team. 6 years... 7 mil. Don't balk at the sticker price... he's this year's ROR. Figure out the pairings after you sign him.

2.) James Reimer - Reimers metrics, which we know Murray is a fan of point to James being a legitimate starter. He was at the top of the league in 5 on 5 stats. Goalies take a while to develop. As a Toronto fan, I've watched Reimer literally grow-up. He's entering his prime. Someone is going to take a chance and pay him like a starter, and he's going to turn that GM into a smart cookie. I'm hoping its Murray. 3 years... $4 million.

3.) Jamie McGinn - Jamie played well here in Buffalo and even started to produce on the power play. He's a borderline top 6 guy on a bad team but a perfect 3rd line power wing forward who can create some secondary scoring. He really enjoyed his time and teammates here in Buffalo. After not getting a big longterm deal on the open market, I can see him signing here for 2 years at $3.2 million. He's plugged right in on Larsson's wing on the 3rd line.

2. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (06-18-2016),WagonCircler (06-18-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Top Sabres Free Agent Targets

A mess is a bit dramatic. Chad Johnson was a great back up and lehner is good when healthy. He's just never healthy dating back to juniors.

I would avoid reimers. I get that he solidified as a backup. But the game seven meltdown vs the Bruins was stuff that people don't bounce back from. He's a reliable back up and we already have that.

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    The Sabres backend is a mess. Anyone not named Rasmus Risto is nothing but a question mark at this point, and that certainly includes goalies. Tim Murray's year end presser mentioned two areas of need... a power play QB and goalie. So for as much as I'd love to get my Stamkos on, we realistically shouldn't invest another huge frontline contract when Eichel and Samson will have to be dealt with at some point, and ROR has his current big deal. That being said... here's who I think the Sabres target.

1.) Keith Yandle - he's the quintessential power play QB. He's an elite, albeit not generational, puck mover and distributor. He may not be lockdown defenseivley but what our current group of highly talented forwards lacks is someone who can get them the puck quickly. Yandle is as durable as they come and takes a world of pressure off of Rasmus. He's heading into his 30s and with the style he plays will go to his late 30s before he drops off significantly. Oh... he's a leftie too! His presence alone, solidifies the Sabres as being a legitimate playoff team. 6 years... 7 mil. Don't balk at the sticker price... he's this year's ROR. Figure out the pairings after you sign him.

2.) James Reimer - Reimers metrics, which we know Murray is a fan of point to James being a legitimate starter. He was at the top of the league in 5 on 5 stats. Goalies take a while to develop. As a Toronto fan, I've watched Reimer literally grow-up. He's entering his prime. Someone is going to take a chance and pay him like a starter, and he's going to turn that GM into a smart cookie. I'm hoping its Murray. 3 years... $4 million.

3.) Jamie McGinn - Jamie played well here in Buffalo and even started to produce on the power play. He's a borderline top 6 guy on a bad team but a perfect 3rd line power wing forward who can create some secondary scoring. He really enjoyed his time and teammates here in Buffalo. After not getting a big longterm deal on the open market, I can see him signing here for 2 years at $3.2 million. He's plugged right in on Larsson's wing on the 3rd line.
    "We" and "as a Toronto fan" makes you more than a 43% schizophrenic slut but I still love you.

I just wanted to get that out of the way first.

I don't think this is the time for the Sabres to be spending money. The Sabres are not close to making the play-offs this upcoming year and should probably be looking to bring in players in a couple of years that are the same age as their core players.

Yandle is from or frequents the Boston area so there has been much discussion of him on Bruin fan forums for years. Personally, I don't find him to be all that special. He is all offense and a very crappy defensive d-man. Eichel can QB the power play.

Reimer is a bum. He peaked already and there are plenty of other goalies that are better and will work for $5M per year which is what Reimer will no doubt be paid in the open market.

McGinn is just another guy. Irrelevant for the most part and probably left unprotected and undrafted in the Expansion Draft. These dime a dozen type players will be traded around the league like a Serbian housewife as that draft date approaches.
    Last edited by Haile SpikedLemonade; 06-19-2016 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Hey B's fan... my wife is drinking capsaicin today.

6. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,508 Times in 12,046 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    A mess is a bit dramatic. Chad Johnson was a great back up and lehner is good when healthy. He's just never healthy dating back to juniors.

I would avoid reimers. I get that he solidified as a backup. But the game seven meltdown vs the Bruins was stuff that people don't bounce back from. He's a reliable back up and we already have that.
    Don't like Reimer. At all. I'd rather go with lehner and Johnson again.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

A guy that had a .932 save percentage on a Stanely Cup contending team in 8 games and almost single handedly kept the Leafs from being a complete disaster... yeah let's go with the porcelain doll and a dime a dozen backup.

k

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Hey B's fan... my wife is drinking capsaicin today.
    She deserves it.

She, unlike you, has a good understanding of hockey.

10. Post thanked by:

coastal (06-19-2016)