Thread: Sammy Watkins to be ok for Camp

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sammy Watkins to be ok for Camp

Sammy Watkins: I “might sit out two or three days” of camp

Watkins said he agrees with his coach and called this the “best offseason I’ve been a part of” despite the injury keeping him off the field. Watkins said early this month that he didn’t have a timetable for his return, but it seems he’s developed a better sense of when he’ll resume football activities.

“For training camp, I think I’ll definitely be available,” Watkins said, via TSN.ca. “I might sit out two or three days. It’s all about how I feel within those days. The goal is to come back and be prepared for training camp.”

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sammy Watkins to be ok for Camp

The offense looks amazing, TT is a freaking stud. We have 0 back-up QB at all, so plan on seeing one here just in case.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sammy Watkins: “I might sit out two or three days” of camp

Posted by Josh Alper on June 19, 2016, 6:44 PM EDT
    Getty Images
    According to coach Rex Ryan, the Bills won the offseason even with top wide receiver Sammy Watkins unavailable for most offseason work after having surgery to repair a stress fracture in his foot.
    Watkins said he agrees with his coach and called this the “best offseason I’ve been a part of” despite the injury keeping him off the field. Watkins said early this month that he didn’t have a timetable for his return, but it seems he’s developed a better sense of when he’ll resume football activities.
    “For training camp, I think I’ll definitely be available,” Watkins said, via TSN.ca. “I might sit out two or three days. It’s all about how I feel within those days. The goal is to come back and be prepared for training camp.”
    Watkins has dealt with injuries throughout his time with the Bills and said he’ll be spending the bulk of time until camp in Buffalo rehabbing as part of an effort to do “everything I need to do to keep myself on the field.” The Bills offense is more potent when Watkins is running at full strength and winning during the actual season will be much likelier if he can find a way to put the injury bug to rest.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's all good if he puts the injury bug to rest and has a spectacular season. If not I'll still be unhappy about what we paid to get him.

Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!! Luisito23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 969 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sit him until right before opening kickoff...Can't trust his body.
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Don't underestimate medical marijuana.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sammy Watkins changes stance, says he could miss camp

Watkins told ESPN’s Vaughn McClure that though he “feels good,” he doesn’t know when he’ll be cleared and hopes to be able to participate in training camp.

If not, then cool,” Watkins said. “Get ready for the first game.”

8. Post thanked by:

Mace (06-26-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah, I saw that. Some will say as long as he's ready for game day ! I'm not one of them. It's not cool. Players who miss the offseason nowadays tend to have hamstring and conditioning injuries. Watkins isn't exactly a fortress of durability. If he's dorking around he hasn't earned it. If he's genuinely still recovering they'd better not let him play ahead of full healing because he wants to meet some games played incentive.

Always makes me edgy when a player just seems to know he'll be ready for that first "real" game like that day the rest of the healing process magically finishes.

Some people will say "a lot of pros miss camp and preseason, don't sweat it, Bruce Smith did it". The game is harsher these days with conditioning taking a front seat as athletes get bigger, faster, hit harder. Better he's fully healthy in game 2-3 with some conditioning than jumping right in because it's a "real" game. Doubt he or Rex will take that into account though.

Just heal correctly and completely.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sammy Watkins changes stance, says he could miss camp

Posted by Zac Jackson on June 26, 2016, 12:19 PM EDT
    AP
    Not long after Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkinssaid he expected to be on the field early in training camp, Watkins is apparently changing his prognosis.
    Watkins told ESPN’s Vaughn McClure that though he “feels good,” he doesn’t know when he’ll be cleared and hopes to be able to participate in training camp.
    If not, then cool,” Watkins said. “Get ready for the first game.”
    That takes his timetable for a projected return from early August to any time from August to early September. Watkins last week told TSN.ca that he’d “definitely be available” and might only miss two or three days of camp, which begins in late July.
    The Bills won’t rush Watkins back from surgery to repair a stress fracture in his foot, and Watkins sounded like he’s fine waiting if that’s what it takes, too. He said he hasn’t run in the last three or four weeks.
    “Really, I just [have] to stay healthy,” he said. “It’s about taking good time. Listen to the medical staff and hopefully it works out.”

Thanks
    Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It sounds like Sammy thinks he'll be fine and ready for camp, but it's not really up to him how much he participates. I think the medical staff and coaches are planning to take a very cautious approach. I would expect to see him participating in training camp at some point, but they'll probably work him slow and put limitations on what he can do. I'm guessing he probably doesn't play in any preseason games though.

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,902 Times in 4,358 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What a waste of 2 1st round and a 4th round pick.

He'd probably be a great WR if he could stay healthy and had a real QB throwing the ball to him.
    Last edited by TacklingDummy; 06-27-2016 at 01:08 PM.

13. Post thanked by:

sudzy (06-27-2016)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    What a waste of 2 1st round and a 4th round pick.

He'd probably be a great WR if he could stay healthy and had a real QB throwing the ball to him.
    I'm still willing to let Sammy prove me wrong about that trade. In 2 years, the guy has 125 catches, 2,029 yards, and 15 touchdowns. That's pretty good considering he plays for the Bills. He's also started 29 out of 32 games. Whether you think that's worth 2 1st round picks...well that's up to interpretation, but he's still young.

He's got 9 rushing yards too, don't forget.

15. Post thanked by:

Mace (06-27-2016),TacklingDummy (06-27-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    He's got 9 rushing yards too, don't forget.
    You nailed this one Fo Sho. This is what infuriates me the most about Watkins, that's on 3 carries too ! You spend that much on a receiver he should have a 4 yards per carry average.

You know, back in my day, which was earlier in the month, I fractured my foot. Drank a bottle of bourbon, braced it up with some metal frame, put some drywall screws into it with my cordless, slapped some joint compound mixed with Bactine all over it, and was sprinting again from the police the next day. It's perfectly fine now, except for the parts that stick out of my footwear and my peculiar walking motion. I probably should have braced it lengthwise instead of width or used smaller pieces of metal. Haha, that's what happens when I doctor myself using bourbon instead of vodka.
    Last edited by Mace; 06-27-2016 at 06:04 PM.

17. Post thanked by:

Joe Fo Sho (06-28-2016),TacklingDummy (06-27-2016)

Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!! Luisito23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 969 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Unhappy Re: Sammy Watkins to be ok for Camp

I changed my mind...Bench his frail ass till the bye week...