Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NHL rolling the dice on Las Vegas

Thanks
    Thanked 16,508 Times in 12,046 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: NHL rolling the dice on Las Vegas

Ya know, this obviously doesn't matter anymore, but I've always felt that in terms of building an expansion team, they should plan ahead more on the actual team. Try and follow along on my idea. So Las Vegas begins play in 2017, and will participate In next June's entry draft. They should have participated in this year's draft.

I can already see eyebrows raising. Follow along.

They should have been awarded a team six months ago. This allows them to build a front office. When an expansion team comes about, they also have to build a farm system. With the emphasis on Vegas being competitive right out of the gate, that vision should be long term, not just for their inaugural season. So here's my idea.

Las Vegas gets the last pick in every round from 2 through 5. This allows them to build a prospect pool, albeit likely weak. Why? Most picks continue on with their amateur careers for a season or two anyways. None of those players would likely be in the AHL next season anyways, and the odds of them being in the NHL are virtually non-existent. This allows the expansion team to burn a season of AHL in eligibility on a year the team doesnt play anyways. This allows those prospects to join the AHL a year earlier and help the farm and the team overall. This also makes Vegas an active franchise despite not actually playing yet. Vegas could trade picks or prospects (so long as they are not playing in North American pro leagues like the NHL or AHL. Must be junior players or overseas prospects.) And since the picks are the last in every round, the prospects taken are mostly marginal anyways.

Anyways, just an idea I've had for the past few years. Flame away if ya want
    Last edited by JATMtheJATM; 07-06-2016 at 09:48 PM.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg