Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is doing a better job at rebuilding?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Who is doing a better job at rebuilding?

The Leafs haven't been at it as long, but you have to think they aren't far behind the Sabres, so let's create some topics of comparison to bring some structure to this debate...

Team President
    Russ Brandon v Brendan Shanahan - this one isn't even worth the discussion. Winner - Leafs

GM
    Tim Murray v Lou Lamoriello - autism boy already has two of his big trade pickups (Kane and Bogo) on the trade block per reports. He over paid for a goalie that cant seem to stay on the ice. He was able to tank properly in spite of every effort by some crazed, goalie's wife ****er enjun. The ROR trade was brilliant. Lamoriello is a Hall of Fame GM. They were able to correctly cut the head off of the snake by jettisoning Phaneuf, however They did give up the player that should have won the Conn Smythe. Phil isn't a franchise leader but with someone else in that role, Phil is an amazing talent. There are only so many players who can score goals in the universe. I don't think they should have given up on Phil. Like Murray, the Leafs overpaid for their goalie, but at least their's had a track record. The Leafs also didn't really tank. They got rid of guys that didn't fit their mold. They scrapped hard all year long. Here is no question that Sabres tanked for at least two years. Winner - Leafs

head coach
    Blysma v Babcock - considering we lost the Babcock sweepstakes and Blysma was the runner-up prize this automatically given to the Leafs. Winner - Leafs

Franchise Player
    Eichel v Matthews - it's still early but my money is on Matthews here. Eichel doesn't play D consistently and isn't the total player that Matthews is. Eichel is beyond talented in terms of skating, speed, strength and a shot... but one is destined to be a true #1 franchise pivot ala Toews. Winner - Leafs

supporting cast
    Reinhart, Rasumus, ROR, Kane v Rielly, JVR, Kadri, Nylander - aside from Kane showing some red flags and my love of JVR... the edge here goes to Buffalo. Reinhart has shown to be very crafty and incredibly fun to watch how he processes the game. ROR is clearly a captain in the makings in spite of his DUI and aversion to Tim Hortons. Kadri is a functional #2C and JVR is on his way out by all reports. Nylander looks to be a special talent. Rielly and Rasmus are a push. Winner - Sabres.

Outlook - as of now the clear winner on the rebuild are the Leafs, but much will be decided in terms of who ends up competing deep into the playoffs 2-3 years down the road based on the decisions that are made in that time. It all starts at the top though and the Leafs are better structure for success than the Sabres are. Winner - Leafs.
    Last edited by coastal; 06-25-2016 at 06:52 AM.

2. Post thanked by:

swiper (06-25-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Who is doing a better job at rebuilding?

Good job coastal. You hit on all levels. Though you are a Leafs fan, IIRC and a GMTM critic you did a level job here. Now let's see how it plays out on the ice. I still am peeved to remember Dave Andreychuk's success in Toronto and getting so upset the Sabres let him go. Rivalries like these are good for the sport. So retooling both sides is something to look forward too. It means we'll get some great hockey again soon.

4. Post thanked by:

coastal (06-25-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,220 Times in 3,689 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

https://goo.gl/images/pzLrz3

SpikedLemonade

No comment.

7. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (06-25-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    No comment.
    Cmon!!!!!

SpikedLemonade

I choose not to participate at this time in this thread.

I am in the midst of stuffing 4 different colour peppers with fresh ground turkey, herbs from my herb garden and other trade secrets that I am not at liberty to reveal.

Wist watching the Swiss v Poland game.

I must be selective with my time.
    Last edited by Haile SpikedLemonade; 06-25-2016 at 08:15 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ground turkey... lol.

11. Post thanked by:

Historian (06-26-2016)

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Ground turkey... lol.
    Some ***** added 10 lbs to my ass in 3 days so I need to get back on track.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I ate some ground turkey, Swiss chard, tomato concotion yesterday for lunch.

Said **** it and had a ribeye for dinner

SpikedLemonade

I ate some ground turkey, Swiss chard, tomato concotion yesterday for lunch.

Said **** it and had a ribeye for dinner
    That is why I will weigh less than you in October and I am a full foot taller than you.

15. Post thanked by:

coastal (06-25-2016)

SpikedLemonade

OK, stuffed peppers in the oven.

I am still working on a salted cod (left over from Portuguese restaurant) Frittata on top of a heirloom tomato, half a mango, scotch bonnet sauce and a slice of whole grain bread.

Taking that cod in a whole different direction.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,690 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Leafs trade for a goalie was actually worse than the Sabres trade for Lehner. Which I thought would be hard to top. But if you include that in Murray's evaluation, then the trade for Andersen needs to be discussed too.

A first and a second???

And then $5 million per? Insanity
    Last edited by Dr. Lecter; 06-25-2016 at 09:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

18. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (06-26-2016),Yasgur's Farm (06-25-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

careful... making a frittata may excite jam it in my ass.

20. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 30,558 Times in 17,442 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, considering the conclusion is so lopsided in Toronto's favor the Sabres should just jettison everything they've done over the last three seasons and just tank again for a couple more.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 30,558 Times in 17,442 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    OK, stuffed peppers in the oven.

I am still working on a salted cod (left over from Portuguese restaurant) Frittata on top of a heirloom tomato, half a mango, scotch bonnet sauce and a slice of whole grain bread.

Taking that cod in a whole different direction.
    careful... making a frittata may excite jam it in my ass.

Is this one of those ersatz homosexual relationships that Leonard's mother was talking about on Big Bang Theory?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Leafs haven't been at it as long, but you have to think they aren't far behind the Sabres, so let's create some topics of comparison to bring some structure to this debate...

Team President
    Russ Brandon v Brendan Shanahan - this one isn't even worth the discussion. Winner - Leafs

GM
    Tim Murray v Lou Lamoriello - autism boy already has two of his big trade pickups (Kane and Bogo) on the trade block per reports. He over paid for a goalie that cant seem to stay on the ice. He was able to tank properly in spite of every effort by some crazed, goalie's wife ****er enjun. The ROR trade was brilliant. Lamoriello is a Hall of Fame GM. They were able to correctly cut the head off of the snake by jettisoning Phaneuf, however They did give up the player that should have won the Conn Smythe. Phil isn't a franchise leader but with someone else in that role, Phil is an amazing talent. There are only so many players who can score goals in the universe. I don't think they should have given up on Phil. Like Murray, the Leafs overpaid for their goalie, but at least their's had a track record. The Leafs also didn't really tank. They got rid of guys that didn't fit their mold. They scrapped hard all year long. Here is no question that Sabres tanked for at least two years. Winner - Leafs

head coach
    Blysma v Babcock - considering we lost the Babcock sweepstakes and Blysma was the runner-up prize this automatically given to the Leafs. Winner - Leafs

Franchise Player
    Eichel v Matthews - it's still early but my money is on Matthews here. Eichel doesn't play D consistently and isn't the total player that Matthews is. Eichel is beyond talented in terms of skating, speed, strength and a shot... but one is destined to be a true #1 franchise pivot ala Toews. Winner - Leafs

supporting cast
    Reinhart, Rasumus, ROR, Kane v Rielly, JVR, Kadri, Nylander - aside from Kane showing some red flags and my love of JVR... the edge here goes to Buffalo. Reinhart has shown to be very crafty and incredibly fun to watch how he processes the game. ROR is clearly a captain in the makings in spite of his DUI and aversion to Tim Hortons. Kadri is a functional #2C and JVR is on his way out by all reports. Nylander looks to be a special talent. Rielly and Rasmus are a push. Winner - Sabres.

Outlook - as of now the clear winner on the rebuild are the Leafs, but much will be decided in terms of who ends up competing deep into the playoffs 2-3 years down the road based on the decisions that are made in that time. It all starts at the top though and the Leafs are better structure for success than the Sabres are. Winner - Leafs.
    How the hell could you not bring up Mitchell Marner? He killed it at the Memorial Cup and he may end up being one of the best 4th overall picks ever.. The Matthews/Marner combo potentially should be every bit as good as Eichel/Reinhart... And I disagree with Risto and Rielly being a push.. Risto will end up being better.. Wlllie Nylander is a player who you will end up complaining about from time to time.. I think he can be a good 2nd liner and be good at what he is good at..But I don't think he is a special talent
    Last edited by Ginger Vitis; 06-25-2016 at 10:21 AM.

24. Post thanked by:

coastal (06-25-2016)

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Is this one of those ersatz homosexual relationships that Leonard's mother was talking about on Big Bang Theory?
    What do you mean?

26. Post thanked by:

coastal (06-25-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

All it really comes down to is Goaltender vs Goaltender.

So it's Anderson vs Lehner.

Frederik Anderson wins going away.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's close. Leafs have advantage in coaching but overall, position to position I like our pieces slightly better.

I have faith in GMTM as well.

It's going to be a fun rivalry going forward for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSman WINS
    Vanek is Austrian not European
    Quote Originally Posted by Prov401
    Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
    Quote Originally Posted by better days
    I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

SpikedLemonade

OK, I am now prepared to respond.

My apologies for the delay.

Long day of cooking, gardening, EuroCup2016 and boccie with the local elderly.

I am here now with a very good glass of wine to deal with this...

Crap!

30. Post thanked by:

coastal (06-26-2016)