Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 384445464748

Thread: Sabres news and notes

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 921 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sabres news and notes

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    I think the pegulas inaction kills this team and that failure falls through the front office.
    I still don't follow. I don't know any NHL owners that really get involved in the day to day. Basically saying there doesn't seem to be a Jerry Jones in the NHL. If by inaction you mean not firing guys, then maybe. Years of questionable draft picks or personnel desicions have hurt the team IMO not anything the owners have or have not done.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,276 Times in 9,656 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    I still don't follow. I don't know any NHL owners that really get involved in the day to day. Basically saying there doesn't seem to be a Jerry Jones in the NHL. If by inaction you mean not firing guys, then maybe. Years of questionable draft picks or personnel desicions have hurt the team IMO not anything the owners have or have not done.
    They had no idea what they were getting into when they bought the team. From day 1, they should have fired Reiger and arguably Ruff (personally, I would have liked to see Ruff get to work under a better GM but one could make a strong case for a house cleaning). Then they should have hired a hockey czar to find the coach and GM.

Instead, they just keep putting band-aids on cancer. The core of Pominville, Vanek and Roy was rotten. All those guys have some talent but they weren't leaders and weren't good enough to build a team around. Pegula thought throwing expensive FA's like Ville Leino and Christian Ehroff into the mix would fix it. Obviously, it didn't. Then we had the coaching carousel.

Rolston-fine. He was interim and was never going to get the full time gig.
    Let's bring back the experienced coach that fans like in Nolan. Failed.
    Let's get the Cup winning coach from a hated rival who has had success. Failed.
    Let's get a rookie coach who fans liked as a player. Failed.
    Then comes Kruger: He's not a rookie like Housley because he had coached in the NHL before Buffalo. He's not the established guy who may be stuck in the past like Bylsma. He's the safe middle of the road pick. Results still pending, but early returns are not good.

And one could argue that most or all of those coaches failed because the GM didn't put enough talent around them. Tim Murray is a moron- he reminds me of Tom Donahoe in that he was always trying to find the "I'm smarter than you" move instead of the obvious good move.

But the point is that the organization has been an unmitigated disaster since they've been running it. They should have hired someone who knows what they're doing 5 years ago.

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 921 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    They had no idea what they were getting into when they bought the team. From day 1, they should have fired Reiger and arguably Ruff (personally, I would have liked to see Ruff get to work under a better GM but one could make a strong case for a house cleaning). Then they should have hired a hockey czar to find the coach and GM.

Instead, they just keep putting band-aids on cancer. The core of Pominville, Vanek and Roy was rotten. All those guys have some talent but they weren't leaders and weren't good enough to build a team around. Pegula thought throwing expensive FA's like Ville Leino and Christian Ehroff into the mix would fix it. Obviously, it didn't. Then we had the coaching carousel.

Rolston-fine. He was interim and was never going to get the full time gig.
    Let's bring back the experienced coach that fans like in Nolan. Failed.
    Let's get the Cup winning coach from a hated rival who has had success. Failed.
    Let's get a rookie coach who fans liked as a player. Failed.
    Then comes Kruger: He's not a rookie like Housley because he had coached in the NHL before Buffalo. He's not the established guy who may be stuck in the past like Bylsma. He's the safe middle of the road pick. Results still pending, but early returns are not good.

And one could argue that most or all of those coaches failed because the GM didn't put enough talent around them. Tim Murray is a moron- he reminds me of Tom Donahoe in that he was always trying to find the "I'm smarter than you" move instead of the obvious good move.

But the point is that the organization has been an unmitigated disaster since they've been running it. They should have hired someone who knows what they're doing 5 years ago.
    I'm with you on this stuff. But now? What coach in their right mind would come here with that churn mentioned above. You assume they had the pick of the litter. I'm not defending the Pegulas but I don't see how they could be doing anything right now. Not the last 5 years but right now. Is it the GM and Coach again? Are they the wrong picks again? That would definetly be on them but I took the inactivity comment to mean they should be doing something now. Unless they are going to take over hockey ops, they have to trust the guys they hired very recently to do it or you are back to square 1. I think you will have some money coming off the books after the year so we can see if anyone wants to play in Buffalo or if the GM is worth anything. If not, start over again and more chaos

Thanks
    Thanked 11,488 Times in 8,413 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

https://buffalohockeycentral.com/202...headed-to-khl/

Pilut leaving for Russia.

Serious bummer. Kid was good and wasn't given a fair shot.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Dunno where to put this but I thought some of you might find this interesting. Today I bought a derek roy game used stick. I always was a huge fan of his. Roy was cursed for not being as good as briere and Drury, so I think he was expected to do too much. The guy should probably be in the teams hall of fame.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,100 Times in 6,800 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Dunno where to put this but I thought some of you might find this interesting. Today I bought a derek roy game used stick. I always was a huge fan of his. Roy was cursed for not being as good as briere and Drury, so I think he was expected to do too much. The guy should probably be in the teams hall of fame.
    The Diver? Known by every NHL ref for attempting to dive to attract penalties and failing half the time. That's what Roy will be remembered for, not his 81 points in 2007-2008 or his 63 points as 3rd line center in 2006-2007. I always liked him too. Even despite this photo:

Last edited by Swiper; 06-05-2020 at 02:08 PM.
    Welcome to Buffalo Henri Jokiharju

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    The Diver? Known by every NHL ref for attempting to dive to attract penalties and failing half the time. That's what Roy will be remembered for, not his 81 points in 2007-2008 or his 63 points as 3rd line center in 2006-2007. I always liked him too. Even despite this photo:

meh. Roy was a heck of a find in the second round and played some GREAT seasons for the sabres. Far from perfect, but was a very good player for the Sabres

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Got the stick today. Its from the 11-12 season. Shows considerable wear and tear. Very cool to have though

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post

This is why I don't believe Sammy Watkins when he said he'd be blackout drunk on Chippewa every night. Everyone knew about Roy partying and that was back when cell phone cameras just came out. We were well into the smart phone era when Watkins was here. If he was really partying every night, there'd be more evidence.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I was never a big fan of Roy but I do agree that he was misused. Roy, Pominville and Vanek are all second liners- maybe one can be on a top line if there is another superstar, but none of them were a Briere or Drury type who can truly anchor a top line. DR tried to use them that way and I don't have to tell anyone here how that turned out.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I was never a big fan of Roy but I do agree that he was misused. Roy, Pominville and Vanek are all second liners- maybe one can be on a top line if there is another superstar, but none of them were a Briere or Drury type who can truly anchor a top line. DR tried to use them that way and I don't have to tell anyone here how that turned out.
    Vanek was a top liner, so long as he didn't have the puck. He couldn't create on his own, but in front of the net, he was a horse, and he had a lethal shot. Roy complimented him well, but again, DR didnt go out and seek top line talent and just hoped that core could do it. It got us one division championship and 2 first round exits

Thanks
    Thanked 19,293 Times in 10,271 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

13. Post thanked by:

coastal (06-14-2020),Haile SpikedLemonade (06-15-2020),JATMtheJATM (06-14-2020),OpIv37 (06-14-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,076 Times in 5,910 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Kimchi can lifestyle me

15. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (06-15-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/06/11...res-president/

The most telling paragraph:

The Sabres, who once had to place a cap on season-ticket sales, have more recently had difficulty selling out games. According to Forbes, Buffalo ranked 24th among NHL teams with $1.9 million in operating revenue in 2018-19.
    This used to be a team that had to cap season ticket sales. Remember back in either 08 or 09 when the Sabres won 10 straight to start the season? I was in town for a Bills game and a friend’s wedding. The Sabres had a game that Friday night. I couldn’t find tickets anywhere. A trick I learned is that sometimes scalpers sell tickets cheap if you are willing to find them after the game starts and miss the first few minutes. My dad and I tried to do that and there weren’t any scalpers. Every single ticket was sold. We ended up watching the game in a nearby brewpub.

Somehow we went from that to playing in front of a mostly empty arena, with season ticket holders not even able to give them away. That’s what the Pegulas have done

17. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (06-15-2020)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/06/11...res-president/

The most telling paragraph:

This used to be a team that had to cap season ticket sales. Remember back in either 08 or 09 when the Sabres won 10 straight to start the season? I was in town for a Bills game and a friend’s wedding. The Sabres had a game that Friday night. I couldn’t find tickets anywhere. A trick I learned is that sometimes scalpers sell tickets cheap if you are willing to find them after the game starts and miss the first few minutes. My dad and I tried to do that and there weren’t any scalpers. Every single ticket was sold. We ended up watching the game in a nearby brewpub.

Somehow we went from that to playing in front of a mostly empty arena, with season ticket holders not even able to give them away. That’s what the Pegulas have done
    that was October 06.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sabres sign Laaksonen to 3-year, entry-level deal
    https://www.thescore.com/s/14475275

Guys on beyond the blade or die by the blade love him so that's good

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Erik Portillo to play for Michigan next year. Michigan is historically a goalie factory.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Scott wheeler of the athletic has cozens as the best drafted non NHL prospects.