Page 83 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3373798081828384 LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 1669

Thread: Sabres news and notes

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,844 Times in 4,322 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sabres news and notes

Casey Mittelstadt & Alex Tuch(acquired in the Eichel trade with the Golden Knights)were on the ice at practice today in non-contact roles.

We won't see Alex in games for a while; you'd have to presume Casey is closer to getting back in the lineup. Also: Mark Jankowski signed a 1 year deal with the Sabres over the weekend(after joining the Amerks & putting up 5 goals and 17 points in 13 games)and Arttu Ruotsalinen was send down to Rochester.
    "We've got a lot to cover. The good news is...I've got the time and I ain't going anywhere." -CM Punk, AEW Rampage, 8/20/21

"I see things in black and white and I have a zero tolerance policy for ****ty people." -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 1/6/21

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,727 Times in 8,523 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

25. Buffalo Sabres
    Previous ranking: 26
    Points percentage: 0.432
    Upcoming schedule: @ FLA (Dec. 2), @ CAR (Dec. 4), vs. ANA (Dec. 7)

Aaron Dell. The Sabres really miss Craig Anderson. But the veteran goaltender is still week to week with an injury, so the play of Dell backing up Dustin Tokarski has come under (justifiable) scrutiny. Dell is 0-4-0, with an .862 save percentage and 4.56 goals-against average. Tokarski is doing his best filling Anderson's shoes, but Dell isn't helping carry the load at all for Buffalo.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...tep-every-team

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,924 Times in 6,769 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sabres really need to see what they can get for Dahlin. He is a complete mess.

After coughing up the puck twice on the power play which resulted in the first 2 shorthanded goals in Seattle history, he's basically crying for help. Benching him now would be welcome.

If Adams and Granato are projecting forward a year or 2, there is no way Dahlin can be part of the plan. He's the opposing teams secret weapon and just kills the teams ability to win more often than not.
    We don't even have pictures
    Just memories to hold
    That grow sweeter each season
    As we slowly grow old...

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post

After coughing up the puck twice on the power play which resulted in the first 2 shorthanded goals in Seattle history, he's basically crying for help. Benching him now would be welcome.

If Adams and Granato are projecting forward a year or 2, there is no way Dahlin can be part of the plan. He's the opposing teams secret weapon and just kills the teams ability to win more often than not.
    Moreover, Granato has lost the whole team.

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    Moreover, Granato has lost the whole team.
    Another coach has lost the team and already?

Acid Douching Asswipe
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,907 Times in 12,132 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    I haven't watched much this year so I don't have a strong opinion about whether you're right or wrong about Dahlin's play but here's my problem with this statement: If' he's a complete mess, why would anyone give us something for him?

Also, from the numbers and from what I have watched, it's pretty clear that the D is bad. Obviously Dahlin is part of that, but who do we have that's equal or better? I suspect it would be even worse without him.

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    Another coach has lost the team and already?
    I have watched the last 5 or 6 games. If you had, you'd also walk away with the same impression. The team gets rolled over in their defensive end. The players who were supposed to have played better under Granato vs Krueger (namely Dahlin, Thompson, Mittelstadt) no longer appear to be due to his tutelage. Dahlin looks horrid. Thompson developed on his own and "blossomed" only when they made the decision to let him play #1 center (a position he shouldn't be playing). His improvement seems to be the result of the team (dating back to Housley) having patience and forcing him to develop slowly in the AHL. Mittelstadt has been hurt and out since the first game of the season.

Asplund has regressed. Ruotsalainen got so bad they sent him down to the AHL this week. Those are the 5 players, supposedly, most affected by Granato being named coach. The results look like a failure at this point.

They named Girgenson and Okposo co-captains, which IMO is a joke, because neither one pull their own weight on the ice ever. They got it purely based on seniority. As hockey players, they should both be dumped.

You watch that Seattle team play against the Sabres the other day. They traveled out east, a long trip. They beat Washington, Florida AND Carolina just days before they played Buffalo. A NEW team that is full of players that thier old teams exposed. They were cohesive and played hard. The Sabres, playing at home in front of their fans, played lazy and disorganized. But don't take my word for it. Long time Sabres reporter, Paul Hamilton, ripped into them also...

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports...were-team-wide

Buffalo, N.Y. (WGR 550) – The Buffalo Sabres were outplayed in every phase of the game on Monday and it spelled a 7-4 loss to the Seattle Kraken. The win gave the expansion team four wins in five games, and those victories were against Buffalo, the Florida Panthers, Carolina Hurricanes and the Washington Capitals.

That gave the league’s 26th-ranked team wins against the first, second and fourth ranked teams in the NHL.

From goaltending, to the defense, to the compete, to the plain laziness on some of the goals-against, it was a team loss.
    Hamilton tries hard to find good parts of bad games, so seeing him details all the problems of this games shows how he really feels too. Granato, IMO, is going to start feeling some heat for the play, because team-wide it isn't very good.
    Last edited by swiper; 12-01-2021 at 02:30 PM.

8. Post thanked by:

mightysimi (12-01-2021)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I just go back to the same point that it is mostly the same players so is it the coach every time? At a certain point, the players just might not be very good.

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    I just go back to the same point that it is mostly the same players so is it the coach every time? At a certain point, the players just might not be very good.
    Players have changed. ROR, Eichel, Ristolainen, Reinhart, Brandon Montour, Zach Bogosian, and Evander Kane all gone. Will Borgen, Jonas Johansson, Patrik Berglund, Johan Larsson, Sobotka, Sheary, Evan Rodriguez, and Jake McCabe all gone.

So that's not really true.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    Players have changed. ROR, Eichel, Ristolainen, Reinhart, Brandon Montour, Zach Bogosian, and Evander Kane all gone. Will Borgen, Jonas Johansson, Patrik Berglund, Johan Larsson, Sobotka, Sheary, Evan Rodriguez, and Jake McCabe all gone.

So that's not really true.
    Ok fair. Only 5 or 6 from last year though which means 13-14 are pretty much the same.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,503 Times in 10,504 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hearing Casey mittlestadt is back tonight and the sabres have traded for Malcolm Subban

Acid Douching Asswipe
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,907 Times in 12,132 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    Hearing Casey mittlestadt is back tonight and the sabres have traded for Malcolm Subban
    Glad they're at least trying at goalie.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Glad they're at least trying at goalie.
    Part of the reason why is Dustin Tokarski has entered COVID protocol.

Also: UPL has been recalled from Rochester...and as JATM noted, Mittelstadt HAS been activated off IR.
    Last edited by ckg927; 12-02-2021 at 06:27 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Also: The Subban trade is official; Buffalo is giving up "future considerations".

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    Part of the reason why is Dustin Tokarski has entered COVID protocol.

Also: UPL has been recalled from Rochester...and as JATM noted, Mittelstadt HAS been activated off IR.
    UPL hasn't been good this year in the AHL. He's 3-3 with .888 GAA. He got called up when Tokarski got sick because there was no one else, but they want to leave him in the AHL, therefore Subban. But Subban also has been playing in the AHL and, also, has not been good there. He is Dell all over again.

John Vogl: “The biggest thing this does: It allows the Sabres to keep Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen in Rochester. The only goalies on NHL deals were Anderson, Tokarski, Dell and UPL. With Anderson hurt and Dell not playing well, Subban will add another NHL goalie”

John Vogl: “Malcolm Subban would likely be an upgrade over Aaron Dell, but as a pending UFA, he wouldn’t be that bridge to the prospects that we recently discussed.”

John Vogl: “Malcolm Subban is with Chicago’s AHL team. He’s 2-2-1 with an .893 save percentage. The 27-year-old has played 82 NHL games, going 36-31-8 with an .899 save percentage.”

John Vogl: “Malcolm Subban is now the highest-paid goalie in the Sabres’ organization with an $850,000 cap hit and $950,000 salary. Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen has a cap hit of $788,733, Craig Anderson and Aaron Dell are at $750,000 and Dustin Tokarski has a cap hit of $725,000 with a salary of $750,000.”
    - - - Updated - - -

Also: The Subban trade is official; Buffalo is giving up "future considerations".

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Additionally, The Score notes that Dallas' Anton Khudobin is also being shopped around...and Buffalo DOES have an interest.

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,409 Times in 4,720 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Additionally, The Score notes that Dallas' Anton Khudobin is also being shopped around...and Buffalo DOES have an interest.
    Makes sense.

He's 35 years old and currently has a .873 SV% this season.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

At this point, I don't see the value. Might as well bottom out in such a deep draft class. Sign power at the end of the season, okay UPL and see what you can do

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    At this point, I don't see the value. Might as well bottom out in such a deep draft class. Sign power at the end of the season, okay UPL and see what you can do
    Considering that A. Craig Anderson has been downgraded to month to month and B. Malcolm Subban got dinged up on Saturday night, it's something Buffalo might want to address.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Considering that A. Craig Anderson has been downgraded to month to month and B. Malcolm Subban got dinged up on Saturday night, it's something Buffalo might want to address.
    I mean obviously they need goaltending. I don't see the value in trading assets for them just to be marginally better at this point.

It was something that needed to be addressed back when they were hoping to compete and failed to