Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Sabres news and notes

Thanks
    Thanked 9,462 Times in 6,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sabres news and notes

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    I know montreal was looking at him. I'd love him back. Hes beloved in the community, he provides a vet presence, he can still play good hockey..... all the ingredients are there for him to be a positive impact player
    Once they shake free some salary by moving or buying out a defenseman, they may sign him back. Sounds like Botterill wants to do that.
    Welcome to Buffalo Carter Hutton

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 839 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Did I read somewhere that Risto asked for a trade? Or is that just speculation?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    Here: https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/08/11...ut-of-buffalo/

Dear Risto, hockey hasn't been "fun" in Buffalo in large part due to your inconsistent play. Face facts. You wouldn't be on the trading block if you didn't kinda suck.

4. Post thanked by:

mightysimi (08-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 1,416 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    Speculation, I think the media is trying to make a story or comments. I mean trading him seems the thing to do with all the Dmen we added or maybe we added them to reduce his ice time and maybe just maybe our new HC can teach him to play a little defense.

6. Post thanked by:

mightysimi (08-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 685 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Paul Hamilton said on WGR a month or so ago the last 8 to 12 months.. he could tell and it was fairly obvious Risto doesnt want to be in Buffalo anymore

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The translated quote from TSN which I saw this morning was that he said he will be at an NHL training camp in Sep just not sure which one.

Ristolainen told Finland's MTV Sports that opening the season with the Sabres is far from a guarantee.
    "I cannot say anything other than the fact that on the 12th of September, I will be at one of the NHL team's training camps," Ristolainen said, as translated by the Buffalo News.
    MTV Sports added that Ristolainen wants to be moved by the Sabres, though the right-handed defenceman said he intended to keep his discussions with the team private.
    https://www.tsn.ca/buffalo-sabres-d-...amps-1.1349951

9. Post thanked by:

Downinfloflo (08-12-2019)

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,656 Times in 2,330 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Risto wants a fresh start, Buffalo was no fun the last couple seasons.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,350 Times in 8,588 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Downinfloflo View Post
    Risto wants a fresh start, Buffalo was no fun the last couple seasons.
    Neither was watching Risto play the last couple of seasons, especially last year. He had so much promise and then he just stagnated.

But, can you blame him for wanting out? Aside from the coaching/management carousel, there have been rumors that he was going to be traded since before the deadline. Then more rumors once FA started. Then the Sabres loaded up on right-shot defensemen.

There are a lot of reasons for him to be frustrated with the team. I'd love to move him cuz a) he hasn't played well and b) he has a big cap hit and we desperately need the cap space. I just don't know what kind of return we will get for him because I don't know how many teams would be willing to take that cap hit for a player of his quality, and other teams know that we're up against the wall with the cap and have too many right-shot defensemen, so it's definitely a buyer's market for whoever wants him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Here is a pretty good article breaking down Ristolainen and what he thinks was the problem. Basically he is saying that his play never deserved 1st pairing minutes but because of what was available to the team for a number of years, he was used well and above where he should be.

https://www.tsn.ca/ristolainen-has-b...line-1.1350067

[...]
    It’s a different story for defencemen. Relative to forwards, there is a lot more focus on usage. There are two reasons for this. One, defencemen scoring rates are substantially lower than forwards and most of their scoring tends to be assist-driven. Two, there has always existed a historical dichotomy between expectations for forwards (they should be the ones scoring) and defenders (they should be the ones suppressing goals).

That line of thinking is starting to evolve, but there still exists considerable opportunity in player analysis for the defender class.
    In the absence of a singularly clear measure that quickly speaks to a player’s talent, teams still tend to rest their laurels on usage – the argument being that if a coach played a defender a lot of minutes, those minutes were both justified and indicative of high performance. We know NHL head coaches are extremely capable, but we also know that head coaches – along with front offices, fans, media and just about everyone else in the hockey universe – have a difficult time understanding what makes a defender ‘good.’
    That brings us to this past weekend. The Buffalo News did an excellent job summarizing the Rasmus Ristolainen saga, one with a fresh new twist – the implication that the long-time Sabres defenceman has either requested a trade, or is at least considering requesting one.
    Ristolainen, the eighth-overall pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, has been an NHL regular since the 2014-15 season. Over that timeframe, only eight defencemen – Drew Doughty, Ryan Suter, Brent Burns, Roman Josi, Erik Karlsson, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Alex Pietrangelo, and Duncan Keith – have played more minutes. It’s an impressive class that includes multiple Norris Trophies and considerable individual accolades.
    If we weighed ice time as a positive predictor variable of a player’s true talent, we would assume Ristolainen was quite the difference maker. But that has never been the case. Ristolainen, like many defenders before him, is another story in how failed internal player evaluations and a lack of credible depth created an issue that the Sabres couldn’t solve until it was too late.
    [...]

13. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-12-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Neither was watching Risto play the last couple of seasons, especially last year. He had so much promise and then he just stagnated.

But, can you blame him for wanting out? Aside from the coaching/management carousel, there have been rumors that he was going to be traded since before the deadline. Then more rumors once FA started. Then the Sabres loaded up on right-shot defensemen.

There are a lot of reasons for him to be frustrated with the team. I'd love to move him cuz a) he hasn't played well and b) he has a big cap hit and we desperately need the cap space. I just don't know what kind of return we will get for him because I don't know how many teams would be willing to take that cap hit for a player of his quality, and other teams know that we're up against the wall with the cap and have too many right-shot defensemen, so it's definitely a buyer's market for whoever wants him.

They call him Risto -45 Ristolainen on the internets.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

They call him Risto -45 Ristolainen on the internets.
    Wow. I have been a big fan of Ristolainen. Until this post made me double back and look at his stats. He is -143 for his time in Buffalo. Yikers.

https://www.nhl.com/player/rasmus-ristolainen-8477499

Here I always thought he was going to be Buffalo's Nicklas Lidstrom. LOL. I guess not.

16. Post thanked by:

Downinfloflo (08-14-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I guess this is strike two for the Sabres with the tall, rangy defensemen.

First Tyler Myers.

Now Ristolainen.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Wow. I have been a big fan of Ristolainen. Until this post made me double back and look at his stats. He is -143 for his time in Buffalo. Yikers.

https://www.nhl.com/player/rasmus-ristolainen-8477499

Here I always thought he was going to be Buffalo's Nicklas Lidstrom. LOL. I guess not.
    You may be shocked by this.

I have center ice for my Rangers.

I also watch all the Buffalo Sabres games.

Risto is a turn over machine in his own zone hence the +/- Numbers. He panics

I also said Zadorov would be the guy I would keep when they were teammates.

-143 is horrific for a defense men.

19. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-12-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You may be shocked by this.

I have center ice for my Rangers.

I also watch all the Buffalo Sabres games.

Risto is a turn over machine in his own zone hence the +/- Numbers. He panics

I also said Zadorov would be the guy I would keep when they were teammates.

-143 is horrific for a defense men.
    Go NHL.tv streaming. $115 for single team, $180 for every game. You can start games late, stream on any device. Works great on PS4.

Just remember to log in and disable scores before the first game so you don’t get spoilers.

21. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,729 Times in 5,670 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Growing up playing the game there were very few players that could skate better than me. I always knew if I made better choices, I would win my time on the ice.

even when someone was more skilled... I still won.

i played the game better. As a result, no one really ever scored when I was on the ice.

risto is an idiot.

23. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Growing up playing the game there were very few players that could skate better than me. I always knew if I made better choices, I would win my time on the ice.

i played the game better. As a result, no one really ever scored when I was on the ice.

risto is an idiot.
    So many players who are gifted physically have bird brains.

That's what we don't know as fans when we bitch about why a certain players not out there.

The coach knows he can't tie his skates, But we see pics on the internet of them lifting cars.

Chris Kreiders a weirdo, Said it because I met him at the frozen four.

All the physical tools, But......

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post

risto is an idiot.
    I played some ice hockey recreationally. I only played roller hockey competitively. I always played D. It’s not that hard. You just need to sacrifice the body. I’d neutralize the best guys in our league by just getting in their way and hitting them. Failing that, just get in the shooting lane. I’d always be out there against their best scorers because I knew how disrupt them. These were dudes who could skate circles around me but I got the best of them with strategy, technique, and balls.

So wtf is risto doing? He has size, skating and athleticism, plus a life of nothing but hockey. I just wish i could have had that chance.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

While it's certainly not fair to criticize Ristolainen based on someone that played roller hockey defense, it is highly unlikely to expect him to completely turn around these +/- numbers even if he gets a change of scenery.

Look at Tyler Myers stats after he left Buffalo. He went from minus to plus, but the Jets had to pair him with someone that would cover up for his inefficiencies. And he still is really the same player. He is being called the worst free agent contract of this off-season (by the Canucks). https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/4485/

Thanks
    Thanked 17,446 Times in 9,271 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He had the fastest slapshot at the Sabres Skills Challenge last January....

Seriously though, my son and I used to count out loud the number of times the puck flopped over his stick and back over the blue line when he was on the point.

One game a couple years ago, it happened like 10 times.

28. Post thanked by:

Swiper (08-14-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    While it's certainly not fair to criticize Ristolainen based on someone that played roller hockey defense, it is highly unlikely to expect him to completely turn around these +/- numbers even if he gets a change of scenery.

Look at Tyler Myers stats after he left Buffalo. He went from minus to plus, but the Jets had to pair him with someone that would cover up for his inefficiencies. And he still is really the same player. He is being called the worst free agent contract of this off-season (by the Canucks). https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/4485/
    While the minutes were more sheltered. his partner most often was Kulikov/whoever was replacing him when he was hurt, so I wouldn't say paired with a world beater but yes he is still the same player. Frustratingly un-physical for his size, above average offence and you can count on at least one face palm moment in his own end per game.

30. Post thanked by:

Swiper (08-14-2019)