Thread: Late Christmas gift.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,296 Times in 13,726 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Late Christmas gift.

My wife gave me a 90’s era authentic Rob Ray sweater, white goat head complete with the A. It was late because the whole thing was custom and hand stitched. Tonight was the first chance I had to wear it during a game.

Which I could post pics but it’s a pain in the ass on this forum.

FWIW I think the current/classic crossing swords crest logo is the superior logo. But the 90’s is my era and Ray, while certainly not the best hockey player, is such an iconic part of this franchise right through to this day.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,501 Times in 12,041 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Late Christmas gift.

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    My wife gave me a 90’s era authentic Rob Ray sweater, white goat head complete with the A. It was late because the whole thing was custom and hand stitched. Tonight was the first chance I had to wear it during a game.

Which I could post pics but it’s a pain in the ass on this forum.

FWIW I think the current/classic crossing swords crest logo is the superior logo. But the 90’s is my era and Ray, while certainly not the best hockey player, is such an iconic part of this franchise right through to this day.
    The current logo is definitely a classic. But it can get stale. The 90s logo and jersey kit was definitely more fun. But I think it gets a lot of love simply because nostalgia. I mean, dont get me wrong, it's awesome. But a lot of that awesomeness is because 90s kids are older now, pining for the past. It's kind of the same thing with the recent resurgence of popularity with the 90s Detroit Pistons teal horse logo.

Also, I don't want the sabres to change their regular sweaters, or even the third. But I would love to see a fourth jersey which is kind of a classic, but different take on the full time logo.

Or, even better. I'd be willing to ditch the current logo for the old buffalo bisons logo. Someone made this as a concept a few years ago. And if the sabres made these in blue and gold, I would CREAM

https://twitter.com/stevensdale/stat...28870545817600
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Thanks
    Thanked 26,296 Times in 13,726 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    The current logo is definitely a classic. But it can get stale. The 90s logo and jersey kit was definitely more fun. But I think it gets a lot of love simply because nostalgia. I mean, dont get me wrong, it's awesome. But a lot of that awesomeness is because 90s kids are older now, pining for the past. It's kind of the same thing with the recent resurgence of popularity with the 90s Detroit Pistons teal horse logo.

Also, I don't want the sabres to change their regular sweaters, or even the third. But I would love to see a fourth jersey which is kind of a classic, but different take on the full time logo.

Or, even better. I'd be willing to ditch the current logo for the old buffalo bisons logo. Someone made this as a concept a few years ago. And if the sabres made these in blue and gold, I would CREAM

https://twitter.com/stevensdale/stat...28870545817600
    I’m horribly biased. But I think the current Bills logo is a great mix of classic and modern. It isn’t dated but it isn’t trying too hard to be modern. The Sabres crest logo is a classic that can never be outdated.

The slug flat out sucked and the only reason anyone bought it is cuz the Sabres had an amazing team.

The goat head was a total product of the time. But it was MY time. So I love it. I understand why old people and young people don’t like it. If I were 10 years older or 10 years younger, I’d hate it too. But I watched some really good Sabres players rocking the goat head during my HS and college years. I loved Jordan and the Bulls. I was into punk rock and despised anything trendy and derivative (still true). And the goat head was totally derivative of the Bulls logo. I also loved hockey and watched the Sabres play some good hockey in those goat head sweaters.

I completely rambled in this post. Sorry. Here’s the TL/DR: In the 90’s I hated the trendiness of the colors and goat head but loved the hockey. Now, I hate the hockey but love the throwback to my era even if I didn’t embrace the colors at the time.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That counts as a gift?

Thanks
    Thanked 16,501 Times in 12,041 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm heading to Buffalo in two weeks. And I want to get a third Benson jersey but unless you buy authentic, it doesn't appear to be available. Maybe in store is different, but last year when we were there, there was virtually no jerseys in the store.

The store used to be awesome. Used to be able to buy game pucks and all sorts of neat ****. Now it's all fanatics **** that is universal to all the teams, really