Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Results 281 to 299 of 299

Thread: Sabres news and notes

  1. #281
    Registered User DetoxTent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2023
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    248
    Thanked 119 Times in 101 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    2

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    https://twitter.com/CMDeDominicis/st...47317817946545
    The belief is the Sabres are on the outside of the kane sweeps. Thankfully
    I wouldn't base anything on that Tweet. I have my doubts about Kane's effectiveness. He'll be expensive and it will take him over a month of game play to be near his prime, IF things all go right for him. I know he and Kevyn Adams are friends and his family still lives in Buffalo. But I doubt Adams will upset the locker room chemistry by bringing Kane in. Even though it had been said last year that he would do it. Not holding my breath. But that Tweet means nothing.

  2. #282
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    58,838
    Thanks
    12,165
    Thanked 16,496 Times in 12,037 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    141

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    Quote Originally Posted by DetoxTent View Post
    I wouldn't base anything on that Tweet. I have my doubts about Kane's effectiveness. He'll be expensive and it will take him over a month of game play to be near his prime, IF things all go right for him. I know he and Kevyn Adams are friends and his family still lives in Buffalo. But I doubt Adams will upset the locker room chemistry by bringing Kane in. Even though it had been said last year that he would do it. Not holding my breath. But that Tweet means nothing.
    Well, Kane just signed with Detroit
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

  3. Post thanked by:

    DetoxTent (11-28-2023)

  4. #283
    Registered User DetoxTent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2023
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    248
    Thanked 119 Times in 101 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    2

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    We'll see how it goes for him. Too much hoopla surrounding this signing. It somehow didn't sit well with me. I'm kinda glad, at this point, the Sabres stayed away. We'll see how he does.

  5. #284
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    58,838
    Thanks
    12,165
    Thanked 16,496 Times in 12,037 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    141

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    Quote Originally Posted by DetoxTent View Post
    We'll see how it goes for him. Too much hoopla surrounding this signing. It somehow didn't sit well with me. I'm kinda glad, at this point, the Sabres stayed away. We'll see how he does.
    I'm torn. Because Kane was the one thing KA was looking at to "improve" but Kane isn't much of a improvement.

    I'm more or less frustrated that Adams is sitting on his ass saying "trust the process"

  6. Post thanked by:

    DetoxTent (11-28-2023)

  7. #285
    Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    21,007
    Thanks
    8,581
    Thanked 6,514 Times in 4,888 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    57

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    Here's two reasons WHY GMKA might have stayed away from signing Kane:

    1. Zach Benson and how well he's fit into the offense.
    2. Jack Quinn, though still not close to getting back into the lineup, IS skating again.
    "We've got a lot to cover. The good news is...I've got the time and I ain't going anywhere." -CM Punk, AEW Rampage, 8/20/21

    "I see things in black and white and I have a zero tolerance policy for ****ty people." -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 1/6/21

  8. #286
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    58,838
    Thanks
    12,165
    Thanked 16,496 Times in 12,037 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    141

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    Levi down to roch

  9. Post thanked by:

    DetoxTent (11-28-2023)

  10. #287
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    58,838
    Thanks
    12,165
    Thanked 16,496 Times in 12,037 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    141

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    Here's two reasons WHY GMKA might have stayed away from signing Kane:

    1. Zach Benson and how well he's fit into the offense.
    2. Jack Quinn, though still not close to getting back into the lineup, IS skating again.
    From what I read, Kane was trending towards teams performing better. Buffalo is... Mediocre. 2. To compensate, Kane may have only accepted a two year deal from Buffalo. Which is bad bad bad.

    At any rate, Kane is a declining player who is a black hole at even strength.

  11. #288
    Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    21,007
    Thanks
    8,581
    Thanked 6,514 Times in 4,888 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    57

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    Per The Score(and no doubt, other outlets), Devon Levi has been sent down to Rochester.

    IMO, the best possible move for him. Give him his reps away from the NHL spotlight, let him be the #1 for the Amerks for however long it is...and when he's ready, come be the #1 for Buffalo.

  12. #289
    Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    21,007
    Thanks
    8,581
    Thanked 6,514 Times in 4,888 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    57

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    From what I read, Kane was trending towards teams performing better. Buffalo is... Mediocre. 2. To compensate, Kane may have only accepted a two year deal from Buffalo. Which is bad bad bad.

    At any rate, Kane is a declining player who is a black hole at even strength.

    Not to mention there have been at least 4 other players who have had hip resurfacing surgery. Let's just say the results have been....not so good.

  13. #290
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    58,838
    Thanks
    12,165
    Thanked 16,496 Times in 12,037 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    141

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    Not to mention there have been at least 4 other players who have had hip resurfacing surgery. Let's just say the results have been....not so good.
    My red wing friends are thrilled, but I think they think they're getting prime Kane. Not this shell of his former self Kane.

  14. Post thanked by:

    DetoxTent (11-28-2023)

  15. #291
    Registered User DetoxTent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2023
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    248
    Thanked 119 Times in 101 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    2

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    Levi down to roch
    It was time for this move. Best move for all 3 goaltenders.

  16. #292
    Registered User DetoxTent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2023
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    248
    Thanked 119 Times in 101 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    2

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    My red wing friends are thrilled, but I think they think they're getting prime Kane. Not this shell of his former self Kane.
    Like I said, we'll see. But I tend to agree with you. Especially based on his time with the NY Rangers. This is not the Kane of 4 or 5 years ago. And why throw money at him like that and disrupt the locker room? I do agree the Sabres need a Pat LaFontaine/Mike Peca/Chris Drury-type and I think KA is to afraid to go get that guy. Whoever he is. I sure would love to have Sam Reinhart on the team right now.

  17. #293
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    58,838
    Thanks
    12,165
    Thanked 16,496 Times in 12,037 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    141

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    Quote Originally Posted by DetoxTent View Post
    Like I said, we'll see. But I tend to agree with you. Especially based on his time with the NY Rangers. This is not the Kane of 4 or 5 years ago. And why throw money at him like that and disrupt the locker room? I do agree the Sabres need a Pat LaFontaine/Mike Peca/Chris Drury-type and I think KA is to afraid to go get that guy. Whoever he is. I sure would love to have Sam Reinhart on the team right now.
    Believe it or not, the Sabres core is pretty set. This team just needs more structure and, yes, while I think Tuch is the Chris Drury type the fans want, they need more. Who that is, exactly, I don't know.

    The sabres may have to make tough decisions with some younger guys to acquire needs (I think the sabres need a complete, rounded RHD who is willing to be punishing with skill)

    They also need a third line center who can play offensively and defensively.

  18. #294
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    58,838
    Thanks
    12,165
    Thanked 16,496 Times in 12,037 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    141

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    Biro up. Gives granato more options

  19. #295
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    58,838
    Thanks
    12,165
    Thanked 16,496 Times in 12,037 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    141

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    Ok, just listened to the maintenance day cast.

    They gave some good insight. If you had said that Cozens and Thompson had ten goals combined at this stage of the season, you'd believe the sabres would be in the lottery running. Much of the Sabres struggles can be attributed to youth. The team is still inconsistent. But all things are trending in the right direction.

    Levi to Roch doesn't have to be a long term plan. But he needs pro experience and with his struggles, getting him some pro experience, even just a few weeks worth in Roch, can really help him..this is also so UPL can go and be the starter as he's earned that spot for now.

  20. #296
    Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    21,007
    Thanks
    8,581
    Thanked 6,514 Times in 4,888 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    57

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    Biro up. Gives granato more options
    Kulich was sent down; Rosen's likely going to be given a longer look.

    Also of note: Hockey Canada wants Zach Benson for the WJC. GMKA said "Not so fast; we'll revisit this in a week or so."

  21. #297
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    58,838
    Thanks
    12,165
    Thanked 16,496 Times in 12,037 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    141

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    They won't send Benson to the WJC. If he was playing 6 minutes a game, sure. But that's not the case.

  22. #298
    Peterman Sucks! Mr. Pink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    the fifth ring of hell
    Posts
    35,303
    Thanks
    2,755
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    97

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    https://twitter.com/CMDeDominicis/st...47317817946545

    The belief is the Sabres are on the outside of the kane sweeps. Thankfully
    Sabres aren't going anywhere, bringing back hometown boy Kane would have moved some merch, sold some tickets, and made no real difference on the ice. The team wouldn't be any better nor worse with him here.

    If they cooled on a deal or had no interest, it's a major misstep or mistake on their part.

  23. #299
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    58,838
    Thanks
    12,165
    Thanked 16,496 Times in 12,037 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    141

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Sabres aren't going anywhere, bringing back hometown boy Kane would have moved some merch, sold some tickets, and made no real difference on the ice. The team wouldn't be any better nor worse with him here.

    If they cooled on a deal or had no interest, it's a major misstep or mistake on their part.
    The sabres are definitely going somewhere, just maybe not this year with that slow start. Getting an aging black hole at even strength isn't what the sabres need and I'm definitely fine with whatever happened. Especially if a required second year was the breaking point. Hell. No

  24. #300
    Registered User DetoxTent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2023
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    248
    Thanked 119 Times in 101 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    2

    Re: Sabres news and notes

    Ryan Johnson is the Sabres unsung hero

    It is hard to believe that Ryan Johnson started this season down in Rochester. His play so far since reaching the NHL has been nothing short of spectacular.
    Johnson’s play in the preseason showed flashes of excellence, but too many moves followed by some bad turnovers left him out of the discussion to be on the opening night roster in Buffalo. Injuries on the Sabres backend early in November allowed Johnson to get his first true taste of the NHL. Fans were expecting the 22-year-old to maybe play a couple games, then get sent back down once players returned. However, Johnson made the most of his ice time and has become a mainstay on the blue line.
    Johnson has always been a smooth-skating d-man who could move the puck. He has impressibly implemented that at the NHL level, while also shoring up the defensive side of his game. Johnson’s initial NHL experience saw him as the seventh-dressed defenseman and only receiving 8 minutes on the ice. He has made the most out of his limited chances and is currently tied with fellow defensive surprise Henri Jokiharju in leading the team in +/- with being a +4.

    While he only has one assist in his 11 games played, he has facilitated offense via his previously mentioned skating ability. Once his shot progresses and he gets more comfortable in the offensive zone, Johnson will be a much-needed jolt of offense. Johnson continues to move well in the o-zone and should begin to find those passing lanes he found so frequently in previous years. This won’t be something we notice overnight, but over the course of an 82-game season, we should start seeing assists being tallied by number 33.
    The best part about Johnson’s game so far is that he has been successful with every defenseman he has been paired with. It seems he has been carouseled around the lineup, but has somehow found success with every line combination. It didn’t matter if it was Rasmus Dahlin or Erik Johnson, he was able to fit in and not look out of place.


    His smooth skating isn’t only an asset on offense. Johnson’s ability to evade pressure on the backhand has been enormous in allowing the Sabres to get more consistent d-zone exits. This skating ability is what sets him apart from all other defensemen, and why he is such a key asset to this team now and in the future.
    The Sabres are in such a unique and lucky situation with both Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power secured on their blue line. Having Johnson on the third pairing gives the Sabres an offensive threat always on the ice. As Power and Johnson continue to grow and develop, (hopefully in a similar manner to Dahlin both offensively and defensively) the Sabres are going to be great at both ends of the ice.
    Ryan Johnson is honestly one of my favorite players to watch when he is on the ice. His evasiveness is exciting, and I cannot wait for Don Granato to lean on him more as he gets more comfortable in the NHL. I did not expect him to make such an impact this season, especially after the preseason. Johnson will be a key piece in the Sabres team taking the next step as he brings a dynamic to the ice that is lacking at times.
    The Sabres front office has done a great job so far this season of letting the kids shine when they deserve it. Ryan Johnson is one of those players I don’t believe the Sabres had any plans of being a part of this roster full-time this year. He has proven his worth and has made the most of each moment.




    Ryan Johnson is the Sabres unsung hero

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •