Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Sabres plan B

Thanks
    Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: My Sabres plan B

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    The first thing he did after acquiring the team was try to buy a championship. That's exactly like Snyder.
    He threw one at one guy, 5 years ago and now's he's exactly like Snyder?
    How many players has he "bought" since then? How many times has he interfered in the running of his team?

You're either acting like the chick who brings something that happened way in the past and can't past it or like BillsImpossible by taking the most superficial look at something possible - I'm not sure which......
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

2. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (06-30-2016),trapezeus (06-30-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

My worry with the Lightning players is that they want to stay together for one more run and no offer is going to make anyone leave. They may think they've got it all together and need one more chance. Yes it would be better to stick it to them and make him sign for more than he otherwise, but I can't see tb players leaving at this point.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,291 Times in 13,723 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    He threw one at one guy, 5 years ago and now's he's exactly like Snyder?
    How many players has he "bought" since then? How many times has he interfered in the running of his team?

You're either acting like the chick who brings something that happened way in the past and can't past it or like BillsImpossible by taking the most superficial look at something possible - I'm not sure which......
    The same year we got Leino, he signed Ehrhoff and another expensive D man (can't remember and too lazy to look it up). Then we had limited cap space for a couple years until it became painfully obvious that we had to break it down and start over. The is only the second time he's had both a decent core and cap money to spend in the same season with the Sabres.

However, he did the EXACT SAME THING with the Bills last year: McCoy, Clay, Tyrod, Incognito, Harvin.... He went all in on fancy new toys that didn't yield results.

The guy's had two opportunities to spend big with the third coming tomorrow. And he's gone all in both times.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Tyrod, Incognito and Harvin were not expensive last year. They were actually quite cheap. Clay and McCoy were, but it's no different than what most NFL teams do - i.e throwing money at players that don't always work out.

Erhoff had a 4 million cap hit and wasn't expensive. The term was long - but he wasn't expensive or a big cap hit.

The cap issues came more from Vanek, Pominville, Miller, etc who had contracts from BEFORE Pegula. Do you want to compare their cap hits to those of Leino and Erhoff?

And who is this mystery other Dman?

The problem is that you *****ed for years that these teams didn't spend money. Now they do and you complain about that. I get that some of these guys didn't work out. but that doesn't make him exactly like Snyder at all.

6. Post thanked by:

coastal (06-30-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Tyrod, Incognito and Harvin were not expensive last year. They were actually quite cheap. Clay and McCoy were, but it's no different than what most NFL teams do - i.e throwing money at players that don't always work out.

Erhoff had a 4 million cap hit and wasn't expensive. The term was long - but he wasn't expensive or a big cap hit.

The cap issues came more from Vanek, Pominville, Miller, etc who had contracts from BEFORE Pegula. Do you want to compare their cap hits to those of Leino and Erhoff?

And who is this mystery other Dman?

The problem is that you *****ed for years that these teams didn't spend money. Now they do and you complain about that. I get that some of these guys didn't work out. but that doesn't make him exactly like Snyder at all.
    Completely wrong. I've always said that throwing money at a problem doesn't make it go away. It needs to be spent wisely.
    Spending right up to the cap on skill players without building the line or having the right defenders for the coach's system isn't wise.

Losing out on the first biggest name and throwing money at the second biggest name isn't wise. And $4 million a season was a big contract 5 years ago.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And Robyn Regher was the other D man I was thinking of.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Completely wrong. I've always said that throwing money at a problem doesn't make it go away. It needs to be spent wisely.
    Spending right up to the cap on skill players without building the line or having the right defenders for the coach's system isn't wise.

Losing out on the first biggest name and throwing money at the second biggest name isn't wise. And $4 million a season was a big contract 5 years ago.
    No, $4 million a year really wasn't that huge 5 years ago. His cap hit was well down the list on the Sabres roster below players that were signed before Pegula was around (the point I made too and you ignore while it is completely relevant)

And Tyrod, Incognito and Harvin weren't expensive. That point still stands (and you ignored it)

And of course throwing money at a problem doesn't make it go away. It does need to be spent wisely. That wasn't the point either.

Snyder, nearly every single year, throws money at players that is laughable. He runs the team and makes bad choices himself.

Pegula does neither of those. He's really nothing like the arrogant blowhard named Snyder.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And Robyn Regher was the other D man I was thinking of.
    Who also wasn't that expensive.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No, $4 million a year really wasn't that huge 5 years ago. His cap hit was well down the list on the Sabres roster below players that were signed before Pegula was around (the point I made too and you ignore while it is completely relevant)

And Tyrod, Incognito and Harvin weren't expensive. That point still stands (and you ignored it)

And of course throwing money at a problem doesn't make it go away. It does need to be spent wisely. That wasn't the point either.

Snyder, nearly every single year, throws money at players that is laughable. He runs the team and makes bad choices himself.

Pegula does neither of those. He's really nothing like the arrogant blowhard named Snyder.
    Throwing money at McCoy and Clay with an unproven QB and questionable OL is laughable.

Throwing money at Leino cuz he lost out on the guy he really wanted is laughable.

Pegula is not an arrogant blowhard like Snyder- I'll give you that. But he isn't any wiser than Snyder in terms of throwing money around.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Oh and as far as inheriting those other contracts: Regier was responsible but Pegula kept him around and allowed him to exascerbate the problem. Just because he didn't start the fire doesn't mean he didn't throw a lot of fuel on it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

and questionable OL is laughable.

Turns out you were dead wrong about the OL going to be a disaster in 2015
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro...s-this-season/

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    Turns out you were dead wrong about the OL going to be a disaster in 2015

Yeah well, the point holds true. No one knew how Incognito would play on his return and we had other question marks on the OL as well. It turned out OK, but the team had no way of knowing that when they spent big on an RB, TE and QB.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,253 Times in 15,414 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

..or any success.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 12,036 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Oh and as far as inheriting those other contracts: Regier was responsible but Pegula kept him around and allowed him to exascerbate the problem. Just because he didn't start the fire doesn't mean he didn't throw a lot of fuel on it.
    The biggest problem with regier is at the end, he was making mistake after mistake. But up till about 2006, he was shrewd and hitting on alot of his moves. Remember, he got briere for gratton and gilmour/Dumont for grosek. Yeah, the writing was on the wall when he kept kotalik over Dumont in 06, and Grier was upset at the front office when he left, but for a while, regier was actually good.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 3,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah well, the point holds true. No one knew how Incognito would play on his return and we had other question marks on the OL as well. It turned out OK, but the team had no way of knowing that when they spent big on an RB, TE and QB.
    We know now and he played great, so we can assume about the same this season or better plus TT has another year of seasoning. Our Defense needs to step up big this season & if that happens, we hit the playoffs.

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,514 Times in 4,888 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He's not really anything like Snyder.
    Pegula is NOTHING like Snyder. Pegs prefers staying in the background; Snyder...well, he can't help but talk to the press.

End of discussion.
    "We've got a lot to cover. The good news is...I've got the time and I ain't going anywhere." -CM Punk, AEW Rampage, 8/20/21

"I see things in black and white and I have a zero tolerance policy for ****ty people." -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 1/6/21

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He's not really anything like Snyder.
    Your right. He makes Snyder look intelligent.

When will the bloom finally wear off the rose and fans see the flaws in the Pegulas. They are the prototypical rich people who buy sports franchise as toys when they have no clue what they are doing.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The same year we got Leino, he signed Ehrhoff and another expensive D man (can't remember and too lazy to look it up). Then we had limited cap space for a couple years until it became painfully obvious that we had to break it down and start over. The is only the second time he's had both a decent core and cap money to spend in the same season with the Sabres.

However, he did the EXACT SAME THING with the Bills last year: McCoy, Clay, Tyrod, Incognito, Harvin.... He went all in on fancy new toys that didn't yield results.

The guy's had two opportunities to spend big with the third coming tomorrow. And he's gone all in both times.
    Exactly. Ehrhoff, Regher, and Leino were all signed by Regier under direct instructions of the ******ed new owner.

Now he has ROR who he pays tons of money and who goes out immediately and gets into trouble. Then he gets Evander Kane who spits in his face too. Yeah. Pegula is a great owner. Not.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    Pegula is NOTHING like Snyder. Pegs prefers staying in the background; Snyder...well, he can't help but talk to the press.

End of discussion.

LOL. I expected more from you. But you fail. Terry & Kim Pegula like to stay in the background? Ridiculous.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

When Swiper agrees with you, you know you are in deep ****.