• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Pink
    Peterman Sucks!
    • Mar 2006

Re: Andrew Luck just got ALL THE MONEY

I know people don't like Luck or think he's overrated but if you were starting a franchise today and you could have your pick of whichever QB you wanted to be the face of your franchise for the next decade, you'd be hard pressed to name 5 guys you'd do that with over Luck.

Comment

• Mace
      Haha...yeah you think so ?
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
      I know people don't like Luck or think he's overrated but if you were starting a franchise today and you could have your pick of whichever QB you wanted to be the face of your franchise for the next decade, you'd be hard pressed to name 5 guys you'd do that with over Luck.
      That might speak more about the crop of younger QB's not being so good though rather than Luck being that great. Once you take Newton and Wilson out of the mix, none of them are real compelling though it's early in a lot of careers.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Brady will probably play until he's 60.
        Rodgers should still have 10 years left, especially if the rules keep changing.
        Wilson, Newton...maybe Ryan, Winston and Bridgewater.

Those are the only ones I would consider, and a few are a stretch (admittedly). IMO Mace nailed it...not necessarily how good Luck is, but how poor the state of NFL QB's are as a group.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mr. Pink
          Peterman Sucks!
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
          Brady will probably play until he's 60.
          Rodgers should still have 10 years left, especially if the rules keep changing.
          Wilson, Newton...maybe Ryan, Winston and Bridgewater.

Those are the only ones I would consider, and a few are a stretch (admittedly). IMO Mace nailed it...not necessarily how good Luck is, but how poor the state of NFL QB's are as a group.
          I can give 3 easily over Luck...Rodgers, Newton, Wilson but after that I don't think you can take anyone else over him for an extended period. Sure one year and done then you're adding in guys like Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger but you can't expect any of that trio to be around in a decade.

I don't think the QBing of the league is that poor to be honest. It's just the gap between the greats and the somewhat good is massive. We've been subjected to Brady, Manning and Brees over the past decade and when you look at a guy like Joe Flacco, just an example, he pales in comparison. That doesn't make Flacco not a good QB, because he is, it just shows the wide gap between the tiers.

There's really only a handful of teams with just a poor situation at QB. Cleveland, NYJ as of right now, Jacksonville, San Francisco. There are plenty of teams with unknowns and then a group of a good QBs. I'd put Luck near the top of that good QB group and because of his age, he's a guy you'd look to go to if you were building your team and any player was available to do so.

Comment

• Topas
            German smartass
            • Feb 2014

I would only take Rodgers above him. I think Wilson is good, but he needs a good team and he has some limitations. Wilson is very good, but I'd prefer Luck.
            Same for Newton. I have to see more greatness from him. Admittedly Luck wasnt great either, but probably this is a gut feeling because Newton is such a whiner. I think Luck is better in 2 years than Newton. I mean compare the supporting cast (including defense) of these two teams and it is night and day.

Comment

• cookie G
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
              30 years ago Jim Kelly became the highest paid player in the league, 5 years, between $7.5 and $8mil...TOTAL.

How soon until we see the first billion dollar contract? 15 years? 20?
              This might be hard to believe (I didn't until looking it up), but as crazy high as Luck's contract is...the money paid to him as a percentage of team revenue is about the same as was paid to Kelly in 1986. Well, at least in terms of shared revenue.

Using basic figures of each contract, not considering guaranteed money or other things, and averaging out the contract terms...

Kelly 1986

Kelly contract 1.6 million/year

NFL shared revenue (TV money) 15 million/year

Kelly's % of shared revenue 10.6%

Luck 2016

Luck contract 23.2 million/year

NFL shared revenue (TV money) $222.6

Luck's % of shared revenue 10.4%

For reference regarding the 1986 TV money....

Inflation has been licked, gasoline prices are tumbling and the stock market is soaring, but there may be hard times ahead for pro football.

and the funny thing is, in 1986, many, if not most, considered the TV money received by each team to be the NFL's pot of gold.

I'm sure that if Goodell ever looks at those figures he thinks 2 things: 1) How the hell did the NFL subsist on $15 million per team and 2) I've earned my $40 million a year from the owners.

Comment

• Victor7
                • Jul 2013

Sports in the US are insane these days. I know Luck is good but that much money to play a sport ??

I just read on twitter that Timofey Mozgov is getting 20+ million a year from the Lakers. Are you ****ting me ?? He aint worth 5 mill IMO.

Amazing deals all over the board.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                  Buffalo Bills Fan
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Victor7 View Post
                  Sports in the US are insane these days. I know Luck is good but that much money to play a sport ??

I just read on twitter that Timofey Mozgov is getting 20+ million a year from the Lakers. Are you ****ting me ?? He aint worth 5 mill IMO.

Judge Judy pockets $47 million per year.
                  Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Victor7 View Post

4 years for 64 million for Mozzie. A guy who saw limited to no action once Ty Lue took over as HC of the Cavs.

However, the NBA has a salary cap of 94 million dollars and there's a bunch of exceptions, MLE, Bird rights, early birds, trade exceptions, etc that play into that figure of a total salary. As well as the fact the cap is a soft cap and you can go well over it if you don't mind paying tax.

Plus you have to remember that you're paying at most 14 guys up to that 94 million+ dollars. So it's easy to see how a 7 footer who showed some skills last year during the regular season and finals to get some bank. His contract still leaves 80 million in play, at least, for 13 other guys. Meanwhile the bottom 2-4 guys on every roster are league minimum players where salaries are 500k to 1.5m depending on years of service. So in terms of making it easy, you now have 74 million to spread among 9 guys.

See why NBA players end up getting ridiculous contracts?

Comment

• Mouldsie
                      • Aug 2012

You doubters are nuts.

If I was starting a franchise and could pick 1 player to start a team it's either Luck or Rodgers with Luck as my pick.

Then in that same expansion year I'd be better than the sorry Colts surrounding him with free agents and rookies and a competent coaching staff.

Comment

• Historian
                        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                        • Dec 2002

Luck needs to focus on football, as opposed to acting....

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                          Luck needs to focus on football, as opposed to acting....
                          Acting like a top QB ?
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                            This might be hard to believe (I didn't until looking it up), but as crazy high as Luck's contract is...the money paid to him as a percentage of team revenue is about the same as was paid to Kelly in 1986. Well, at least in terms of shared revenue.

Using basic figures of each contract, not considering guaranteed money or other things, and averaging out the contract terms...

Kelly 1986

Kelly contract 1.6 million/year

NFL shared revenue (TV money) 15 million/year

Kelly's % of shared revenue 10.6%

Luck 2016

Luck contract 23.2 million/year

NFL shared revenue (TV money) $222.6

Luck's % of shared revenue 10.4%

For reference regarding the 1986 TV money....

Inflation has been licked, gasoline prices are tumbling and the stock market is soaring, but there may be hard times ahead for pro football.

and the funny thing is, in 1986, many, if not most, considered the TV money received by each team to be the NFL's pot of gold.

I'm sure that if Goodell ever looks at those figures he thinks 2 things: 1) How the hell did the NFL subsist on $15 million per team and 2) I've earned my $40 million a year from the owners.

I don't think it's hard to believe, my comment was relative to the general increases in contract values since 1986.

I'd like to see a comparison (just for ****s and giggles, not to argue) of Kelly's salary relative to the entire team, and the same for Luck (and the fact that one was signed under cap rules and the other wasn't is mostly irrelevant).
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Arm of Harm
                              • Dec 2015

I can't argue with that.

Derek Carr's name belongs in this discussion. He's only been in the NFL two years, so he's got plenty of mileage left. After a rough start as a rookie, he put up good, solid stats in his second year. Has he surpassed Andrew Luck? No, at this point in his career he hasn't. But he's making solid progress. If he makes solid improvement in year 3, then he will rival or exceed Luck.

Comment

• Victor7
                                • Jul 2013

4 years for 64 million for Mozzie. A guy who saw limited to no action once Ty Lue took over as HC of the Cavs.

However, the NBA has a salary cap of 94 million dollars and there's a bunch of exceptions, MLE, Bird rights, early birds, trade exceptions, etc that play into that figure of a total salary. As well as the fact the cap is a soft cap and you can go well over it if you don't mind paying tax.

Plus you have to remember that you're paying at most 14 guys up to that 94 million+ dollars. So it's easy to see how a 7 footer who showed some skills last year during the regular season and finals to get some bank. His contract still leaves 80 million in play, at least, for 13 other guys. Meanwhile the bottom 2-4 guys on every roster are league minimum players where salaries are 500k to 1.5m depending on years of service. So in terms of making it easy, you now have 74 million to spread among 9 guys.

See why NBA players end up getting ridiculous contracts?
                                Thanks for all the info. I knew some of it but I wasn't going off on how much they get in terms of deal structuring and they x and o's of salaries. Its just that some guys are getting deals that they sure as **** don't deserve. Mozgov is far from the only one. Didn't Dellavedova go for like 9 mill ?? Harrison Barnes (who sucks massive ass) got some stupid cash too. Unreal.

Comment

Working...
                                X