• Sep 2012

Re: You are the GM . . .

Trying to do this only with players that haven't been taken

Peyton Manning
    Tony Gonzalez
    Antonio Gates
    Ed Reed
    Derrick Thomas

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• TacklingDummy
      Unreachable Douche
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
      Trying to do this only with players that haven't been taken

Peyton Manning
      Tony Gonzalez
      Antonio Gates
      Ed Reed
      Derrick Thomas
      2 TEs?

Comment

• BidsJr
        • Sep 2002

1. Peyton Manning
        2. Barry Sanders
        3. Randy Moss
        4. Reggie White
        5. Ray Lewis
        "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• Jaybird
          • Dec 2005

1) Tom Brady
          2) Jerry Rice
          3) Barry Sanders
          4) Deion Sanders
          5) Ray lewis

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Otto Graham--In the argument for best of all time.
            Gale Sayers--Pure runner, caught a lot of balls (considering the game at his time), also covers me for KR.
            Deacon Jones--The reason why sacks are now a stat, nasty against the run too.
            Lawrence Taylor--A pack of wild dogs in one body.
            Rod Woodson--Unlike Deion, Woodson was shutdown and loved to hit people and tackle, also covers me for PR.

Hated to not choose an offensive lineman, but defense has always won championships, and always will.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Arm of Harm
              • Dec 2015

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
              Are we playing under the current league rules?
              yes

Comment

• Gibby
                • Jun 2006

1) QB John Unitas, he got 40,000 yards and almost 300 tds in an era when QBs could be ***** slapped, beaten around, and brutalized. Could you imagine what he could do today?
                2) RB Sweetness, Walter Payton - Longevity, great hands, great back, not his fault he played on lots of **** teams and that the Bears did not reach their peak during the Ditka years until his last few years in the League.
                3) WR Jerry Rice, I want Johny U to have the greatest receiver to ever play the game
                4) DE Bruce Smith, good against the run and better against the pass. He makes bad things happen to opposing offenses for years
                5) LB/C Chuck Bednarik, the single toughest SOB to ever play the game.

You can buy tickets to watch the MST3K Juggernaut win the superbowl now
                Last edited by Generalissimus Gibby; 07-05-2016, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                  2 TEs?
                  I wanted two pass catchers, and given my limit on taking only guys who hadn't been claimed I think I get better value from two TEs. The 2011 Pats were primarily a two TE offense and they were dominant.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Sweetness is a good pick...I was down to him or Sayers for RB for my five...tough call.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
                      Haha...yeah you think so ?
                      • Mar 2013

Absolutely great thread idea, imho. Made me think, remember, and appreciate the football I've seen through my life.

1. Need a QB. I'm going outside the box. Archie Manning, "the franchise QB without a franchise". I loved his arm, his touch, his leadership, his mobility, and it drove me nuts that the saints couldn't but a team around him, protect him, or utilize him for his entire wasted career. Well I'm giving him a franchise.

2. Need protect the QB. LT Anthony Munoz to anchor the line. I think Munoz was the most dominant offensive lineman I ever saw. Always looked like he was playing against little kids and wasn't even breaking a sweat. Don't you worry about a thing, Archie, I'll fill out your line in the draft better than the Bills have, or the Saints could.

3. Need an offensive threat for Manning. Obviously has to be Jerry Rice. Danny Abramowicz was a good receiver for the Saints with Archie. He was not however Jerry Rice. Roll 'em up, Archie.

4. Over to defense. LB Lawrence Taylor, the most dominant defensive player I ever saw. He was all over the place, all the time. It was ridiculous. I used to think of the Giants as the NY Lawrence Taylor's. He makes everything better, coverage, pass rush, run defense, even the offense which has to worry less.

5. I was thinking about a DB or DL...there's one other player I define a whole team by. The Houston JJ Watt's. DE JJ Watt. Pair him up with LT and you have a horror movie for opposing offenses.

With those 2-7 picks, I'll beef up my OL, look for a TE, DB's, ILB, and a DT, I'll fish through FA and UDFA for RB's (who won't be Trent Richardson) and a vet receiver.

There are a lot of players I had to painfully rule out because I'm not sure how they translate to the modern era of the game or translate to different coaches or schemes, being thrown into the fire as rookies in this era, etc. I wanted 5 players who I felt transcended era, those are my guys.

Thanks for the thread idea, really enjoy it.

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers View Post
                        Johnny Unitas
                        Jim Brown
                        Jerry Rice
                        Reggie White
                        Dick Butkus
                        I was torn between White and Deacon Jones. Great picks.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

1. C Jim Otto
                          2. P Ray Guy
                          3. QB Dan Fouts
                          4. MLB Ray Lewis
                          5. RB John Riggins.
                          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Arm of Harm
                            • Dec 2015

My personal preference is for passing offense/defense over rushing offense/defense. Bearing that preference in mind, I wanted players at the following five positions: 1) QB, 2) LT, 3) WR, 4) pass rusher or CB, 5) pass rusher or CB.

QB: The three players I most strongly considered were Joe Montana, Tom Brady, and Aaron Rodgers. Of the three, Rodgers has the highest career yards per attempt (8.0), Brady the lowest (7.4). Montana had the strongest supporting cast of the three, Rodgers by far the weakest. On the other hand, Rodgers' teams earned only one Super Bowl ring, as opposed to four each for Montana and Brady. I'm going with Rodgers on this one.

LT: My initial choice here would have been Orlando Pace. But after doing some research, I've decided Munoz was probably better. Going with Munoz.

WR: the three players I considered were Jerry Rice, Larry Fitzgerald, and A.J. Green. After looking at their stats, I decided on Rice. (Even though I consider the other two physically superior.) Maybe ten years from now Green might be the choice--at least if he continues putting up Rice-like stats between now and then.

Defensive player: Bruce Smith. Not only is he the all-time sack leader in NFL history, he accomplished that playing as a DE in a 3-4. You'd normally expect a 3-4 DE to get fewer sacks than a 4-3 DE, because the 3-4 DE has more run-stopping responsibilities. To get as many sacks as Smith did, while also being a complete football player (run stopping) is remarkable.

Defensive player: Lawrence Taylor. With Smith and Taylor on the same defense, opposing QBs will hear the footsteps coming. Offenses might be able to figure out a way to neutralize one or the other. But they'd be hard-pressed to neutralize both! Like Smith, Taylor was a complete football player.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Reggie White. Could play outside or inside so arguably the most complete Dlineman in NFL history.

John Elway. Best all around QB in NFL history.

Lawrence Taylor. Offenses can't double team White and Taylor pn every down.

Rob Gronkowski. Elway made Shannon Sharpe a HOF.Gronk is a more complete TE.

Marcus Allen. Early in his career he was as complete a RB as you could find. If Bo Jackson stuck with baseball Allen's career numbers would be off the charts.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                                Buffalo Bills Fan
                                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post

Marcus Allen. Early in his career he was as complete a RB as you could find. If Bo Jackson stuck with baseball Allen's career numbers would be off the charts.
                                Absolutely. Allen was a tremendous back.
                                Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

Working...
                                X