Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frazier on the LBers

Thanks
    Thanked 30,578 Times in 17,456 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Frazier on the LBers

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffal...sxms_late.html

Although plenty can change between now and Week 1 of the regular season, Frazier shed light on Buffalo's linebacker situation when he told Marvez and Polian that Buffalo's starting linebackers are currently Lorenzo Alexander, Preston Brown and Ramon Humber. Frazier first talked about the middle linebacker position and a player that he says needs to be a leader for the Bills.

"At middle linebacker, Preston Brown. A guy who has a ton of potential. He's been a starter in this league. He's a guy who we're counting on to really step up and be a leader for us in our 4-3 scheme. The middle linebacker is so, so important."
    Frazier made no mention of second year linebacker Reggie Ragland during his segment on Late Hits, but that doesn't mean the former Alabama linebacker is out of the middle linebacker competition. Heading into training camp, Brown appears to be the favorite at middle linebacker.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,708 Times in 3,427 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Frazier on the LBers

That is possibly the worst 4-3 LB corps in the NFL. This constant scheme switching hopefully stops here for a while.

3. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (07-14-2017),Mace (07-13-2017),psubills62 (07-19-2017),streetkings01 (07-14-2017),Thurmal (07-15-2017),Topas (07-14-2017)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You'd think he'd be "excited over the competition at mlb" if Ragland was really in the mlb conversation. I guess it's early yet.

Agree with Paranoid though...that's a feeble looking lb corps.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,081 Times in 4,278 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You can't pencil a guy who has never played a down in the NFL, and is coming off of a major injury (Ragland) into the starting lineup. He has to earn it.

6. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (07-15-2017),jamze132 (07-15-2017),swiper (07-15-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I am afraid that Tyrod is actually better than anticipated and I really like McDermott. That all leads me to think that we might actually win some games which would screw our chances to get a good Qb next year. Then I think about Frazier and our D, especially our LBs and then I smile and google "Sam Darnold".
    Only problem is if Kyle motivates Dareus. But I am confident that Dareus will not disappoint me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 597 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Topas View Post
    I am afraid that Tyrod is actually better than anticipated and I really like McDermott. That all leads me to think that we might actually win some games which would screw our chances to get a good Qb next year. Then I think about Frazier and our D, especially our LBs and then I smile and google "Sam Darnold".
    Only problem is if Kyle motivates Dareus. But I am confident that Dareus will not disappoint me.
    Please explain how that's a bad thing?
    You can call me streetkings

9. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (07-15-2017),kgun12 (07-14-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Our Dline is so good the LBs will look better than they are.

My big worry is that the offense can't match last year's output. If we could keep the scoring and get the defense to not be among the league's worst we'd be in good shape.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    You can't pencil a guy who has never played a down in the NFL, and is coming off of a major injury (Ragland) into the starting lineup. He has to earn it.
    Not pencil him in by any means. But so far they've been all about talking competition for spots. Brown isn't a given excellence as an lb (not saying he's terrible though either) where Frazier couldn't talk up being being pleased having a "solid" vet and a "young talent", which I suppose I would have expected.

I'm not getting overly focused on it, just an observation. I think Ragland has some major lb chops and will show it, I'm not anti-Brown, and it's early.

Regardless of which one is there though, he's going to need to be able to cover a zone and plug a hole fast. If the best available guy to do that at mlb is Cardale Jones I won't be upset.

12. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (07-15-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I still expect Ragland to win a starting job at LB. It's hard to imagine him not being one of our top 3 LBs considering how weak the unit is, but at the same time he's never looked like a good fit for this D so who knows. Either way I expect LB to be a top need heading into next season. I'd also rather see one of the rookies they just drafted start at OLB over Humber. Even if they struggle at least they'll get some valuable experience. And maybe they'll even end up being a pleasant surprise. Starting Humber just seems like a waste.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So let me get this start, your worried that our present QB will be good and in turn won't draft a QB because the team is winning or is it that you like the coach but want TT to suck so we can draft a QB which will take 2-3 years to play the position and then the coach you like gets fired, REALLY?
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

15. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (07-15-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I really want to know what Niles thinks of the secondary.

17. Post thanked by:

Mace (07-14-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I really want to know what Niles thinks of the secondary.
    It's going to be an um, interesting year like it or not. I'd be happy with a couple good pieces. I think Hyde and White at least will be two of them.

19. Post thanked by:

YardRat (07-15-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    So let me get this start, your worried that our present QB will be good and in turn won't draft a QB because the team is winning or is it that you like the coach but want TT to suck so we can draft a QB which will take 2-3 years to play the position and then the coach you like gets fired, REALLY?
    Yeah, because all of these guys want to do is play NFL draft forever. They have no concept of today or winning. ****ing morons.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

21. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (07-15-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Darnold might not even declare next year. It would be dumb to tank for him when he could say "the Bills have the first pick? I'm not coming out this year."

As for the starting LB corps I'm hoping it's made up of Ragland, Brown, and Hodges when all is said and done.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Kyle doesn't need to do it. If the Bills new DL coach can't motivate Dareus, no one will. He motivated Robert Quinn in St. Louis.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I still expect Ragland to win a starting job at LB. It's hard to imagine him not being one of our top 3 LBs considering how weak the unit is, but at the same time he's never looked like a good fit for this D so who knows. Either way I expect LB to be a top need heading into next season. I'd also rather see one of the rookies they just drafted start at OLB over Humber. Even if they struggle at least they'll get some valuable experience. And maybe they'll even end up being a pleasant surprise. Starting Humber just seems like a waste.
    Brown and Ragland, hopefully, will both turn out to be healthy good LBs. And maybe someone will slide over to that outside spot.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You guys are forgetting about LorAx. He may see some time at end spelling Hughes, but in the base D he's a given at one spot. I would expect Hodges to pass Humber on the depth chart, and unless Ragland really shows a ton in TC he's probably going to at least start the season backing up Brown in the middle.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    You guys are forgetting about LorAx. He may see some time at end spelling Hughes, but in the base D he's a given at one spot. I would expect Hodges to pass Humber on the depth chart, and unless Ragland really shows a ton in TC he's probably going to at least start the season backing up Brown in the middle.
    I like Lorenzo Alexander, but I can't see him lasting as a full time starter at LB. He's 34, and while he's great at special teams and excelled in Ryan's junk D, I have a feeling he's best as a rotational or situational guy.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Waiting for camp and seeing who plays the LB positions....is a beautiful thing.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

28. Post thanked by:

swiper (07-16-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The quiet of June/July 2017 is a beautiful thing. Every year there seems to be something to discuss or fight about on these boards leading up to camp. The latest savior QB. Drafting too many CBs. An overpaid lineman. Whatever. All of it distracts us from how bad the Bills really are. It's what Brandon is good at. Distracting fans from reality. At least he tries that. This year there's nothing. It's nice to see. You just get a feel that the coaches are hard at work on football matters. Maybe Pegula did it right this time. Even with an underwhelming roster, the hope of turning things around is still there. The roster is good enough that with some good coaching and in-game management this team could break above that .500 mark.

30. Post thanked by:

YardRat (07-16-2017)