• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feldspar
    • Mar 2007

Re: Shaq Lawson update...

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
    In '08, Matt Cassel was a nobody until proven otherwise.

Since he's been with the Patriots, Bellicheck has had to work with unknown QB's twice: Brady and Cassel. We all know the results.
    Have you listened to a word I've said?

And you keep saying this year's Patriots aren't like '08, but then you bring up Bellicheck's record with the Browns. The Patriots are one of the best-run orgs in the league and the Browns are one of the worst. The Patriots aren't like the Browns. So take your pick- either past performance means something or it doesn't. You can't pick and choose when it counts.
    Apparently, you don't even know what you are talking about.

The Cleveland Browns that Belichick coached are actually now the Baltimore Ravens franchise. Those Browns relocated to Baltimore in 1996, remember? You should ****ing know that at least, since you tell us you actually live in Baltimore. The horrible Browns team you are referring to is the expansion team that started in 1999, and Belichick never had any part in that franchise. It's completely different.

Prior to Belichick being coach of the Browns, that franchise had made the playoffs 7 of the past 11 seasons...and they won their division 5 of those times. Then Belichick took over, and the Browns made the playoffs ONCE in five years. Would you say that's a significant downgrade? I think I would. Then the Browns moved to Baltimore. Then Cleveland got a brand new team after about three seasons without one. That expansion team is not the same organization Belichick coached.

Get it?
    Last edited by feldspar; 07-24-2016, 05:57 PM.

Comment

• Goobylal
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
      He did find a roster spot as a rookie for Brady though, as the 4th string qb. That's not nothing!
      Big deal. He could have put him on the PS. No one would have taken him.

In '08, Matt Cassel was a nobody until proven otherwise.

Since he's been with the Patriots, Bellicheck has had to work with unknown QB's twice: Brady and Cassel. We all know the results.

And you keep saying this year's Patriots aren't like '08, but then you bring up Bellicheck's record with the Browns. The Patriots are one of the best-run orgs in the league and the Browns are one of the worst. The Patriots aren't like the Browns. So take your pick- either past performance means something or it doesn't. You can't pick and choose when it counts.
      So what if Cassel was unproven in 2008? He proved it. Garrooppoollo has proven nothing. Just because 2 QB's out of a dozen they've drafted/groomed panned-out (Cassel briefly), it doesn't mean Garrooopppooolllo will. Actually the odds are against him succeeding. And I'm using your logic here because if this were a Bills player, you'd be saying the same thing.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
        Big deal. He could have put him on the PS. No one would have taken him.

So what if Cassel was unproven in 2008? He proved it. Garrooppoollo has proven nothing. Just because 2 QB's out of a dozen they've drafted/groomed panned-out (Cassel briefly), it doesn't mean Garrooopppooolllo will. Actually the odds are against him succeeding. And I'm using your logic here because if this were a Bills player, you'd be saying the same thing.
        Um no. You don't get to make up a hypothetical scenario that has never actually happened then make an argument based on your guess at what my reaction would have been. That's pure nonsense.

The odds were against Brady and Cassel too, but Bellicheck is still 2 for 2 on them.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Goobylal
          • Jan 2004

Um no. You don't get to make up a hypothetical scenario that has never actually happened then make an argument based on your guess at what my reaction would have been. That's pure nonsense.
          It's not a guess. If I did a poll, there would be just 1 vote for "he wouldn't say the same thing" and that would be from you.

The odds were against Brady and Cassel too, but Bellicheck is still 2 for 2 on them.
          That's not how odds work. When you're 2 for 14 in drafting QB's, the odds are against you. Again Garroopppooollo is a scrub until proven otherwise.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

It's not a guess. If I did a poll, there would be just 1 vote for "he wouldn't say the same thing" and that would be from you.

That's not how odds work. When you're 2 for 14 in drafting QB's, the odds are against you. Again Garroopppooollo is a scrub until proven otherwise.
            Polls and votes mean nothing. You assumed how I would react in a situation that's never occurred. You're trying to make it about me when it isn't.

And nothing you can say changes the reality that both Cassel and Brady were scrubs until Bellicheck got a hold of them. And seriously- you're a Bills fan complaining about another team being bad at drafting QB's? Ouch.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
              Making Spirits Bright
              • Mar 2006

Op - I don't think I've ever wanted to argue with someone who I agree with so much.

My prediction for this season is 6-10. You'd think that would make me agree with your take on most things, but the fact that you give the Bills so little credit and such a small chance of seeing any success in the future just makes it so easy for me to want to argue with you.

Comment

• Goobylal
                • Jan 2004

Polls and votes mean nothing. You assumed how I would react in a situation that's never occurred. You're trying to make it about me when it isn't.

And nothing you can say changes the reality that both Cassel and Brady were scrubs until Bellicheck got a hold of them. And seriously- you're a Bills fan complaining about another team being bad at drafting QB's? Ouch.
                The reality is the Cheaters fail with most of their QB draft picks. They've actually only hit on late rounders, which Garrroooppooolllo isn't. Meaning it's purely luck with them because if they had any inkling they'd be good, they'd have taken them much earlier to not risk losing them. So again, Garroopppoollloo has everything to prove before you can say he's even as good as Cassel, much less a HOF'er like Brady. This is common sense.

As for the Bills, I've said they've been bad at drafting QB's. I'm still waiting for them to hit on a late rounder like the Cheaters have, but hopefully TT is the man.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

The reality is the Cheaters fail with most of their QB draft picks. They've actually only hit on late rounders, which Garrroooppooolllo isn't. Meaning it's purely luck with them because if they had any inkling they'd be good, they'd have taken them much earlier to not risk losing them. So again, Garroopppoollloo has everything to prove before you can say he's even as good as Cassel, much less a HOF'er like Brady. This is common sense.

As for the Bills, I've said they've been bad at drafting QB's. I'm still waiting for them to hit on a late rounder like the Cheaters have, but hopefully TT is the man.
                  How would you even know if they fail with most of their picks? Since Brady took over, the only one they needed was Cassel and he got them 11 wins in a season.

The Patriots have proven time and time again that they can play well when starters are unavailable, even when they need to use WR's as DB's. Since Bledsoe went down, they've had to rely on two no-name QBs. They did well with one and built a dynasty with the other. Maybe they got lucky, but their success suggests they are the first time in the FA era that is "plug and play" at any position, even at QB (and even if it's only because they are so good at cheating).

But I'm so tired of people on this board trying to write off the Pats only to see them be one of the best teams in the leave year in and year out.

The lack of Brady for 4 games is just more false hope.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                    Op - I don't think I've ever wanted to argue with someone who I agree with so much.

My prediction for this season is 6-10. You'd think that would make me agree with your take on most things, but the fact that you give the Bills so little credit and such a small chance of seeing any success in the future just makes it so easy for me to want to argue with you.
                    What prospects do you see for success? Brandon has created an organizational culture where the bottom line is valued over winning football games. Whaley was 2nd in command for all the failed Nix teams. Pegula made the same mistake he did with the Sabres and spent up to the cap the second he took over. Yes, I complained about Ralph's cheapness, but I've always maintained that throwing money at the problem won't solve it. The spending needs to be wise, and so far, it hasn't been.

It's all SSDD.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Re: Shaw Lawson update...

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post

You said both, like I said.

OP loves arguing that he argues with himself.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                        • Jan 2003

I'm not reading all of this, so forgive me if it was brought up. But I see the Cassel talk about how he took the Patriots to 11-5 the year Brady got hurt. Cassel took the Patriots to not making the playoffs (though it was 11-5) the year after the Patriots made a historic run at the record books and came pretty close to having a perfect season. So, I think that might have been a pretty good team.

Comment

• Goobylal
                          • Jan 2004

How would you even know if they fail with most of their picks? Since Brady took over, the only one they needed was Cassel and he got them 11 wins in a season.

The Patriots have proven time and time again that they can play well when starters are unavailable, even when they need to use WR's as DB's. Since Bledsoe went down, they've had to rely on two no-name QBs. They did well with one and built a dynasty with the other. Maybe they got lucky, but their success suggests they are the first time in the FA era that is "plug and play" at any position, even at QB (and even if it's only because they are so good at cheating).

But I'm so tired of people on this board trying to write off the Pats only to see them be one of the best teams in the leave year in and year out.

The lack of Brady for 4 games is just more false hope.
                          How would I know? Because they eventually leave and don't do anything in the league. That's how.

And keep thinking they can easily replace Brady. The truth is they can't.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

How would I know? Because they eventually leave and don't do anything in the league. That's how.

And keep thinking they can easily replace Brady. The truth is they can't.
                            Well, first of all, there's no control sample for Brady. If he had left and didn't have Bellicheck, he might have been just as bad as those other guys. There is no way to know for sure.

And second, you keep saying they can't replace Brady, but they've only had to do it once and they won 11 games and only missed the playoffs on tiebreakers. Bellicheck is 2 for 2 with no-name QB's in NE.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

Well, first of all, there's no control sample for Brady. If he had left and didn't have Bellicheck, he might have been just as bad as those other guys. There is no way to know for sure.

And second, you keep saying they can't replace Brady, but they've only had to do it once and they won 11 games and only missed the playoffs on tiebreakers. Bellicheck is 2 for 2 with no-name QB's in NE.
                              True there's no way to know how Brady would have turned out if he had played for another team. But that's not what happened. He played for Belichick and proved himself. Cassel played well given the Ferrari he was handed the keys to and got a huge deal from KC, and flamed out in a couple years. That's still more than Garroopppoolllo has proven, which is nothing. And given he's a "name," that means he's going to fail, according to your "logic." But make no mistake, Belichick had ZERO to do with their development. He's a defensive coach, not a QB coach.

And the bottom line with Cassel is the Cheaters missed the playoffs that year. I don't care about the record since the AFCE played a weak schedule. If they had had Brady, they'd have gone deep in the playoffs, probably returned to the SB, and maybe won it. We'll never know, but what we do know is that with Cassel, they didn't even make the playoffs. And they have a far less talented team now.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                                Making Spirits Bright
                                • Mar 2006

Re: Shaw Lawson update...

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                                OP loves arguing that he argues with himself.
                                I argue with myself all the time, too. It's great, you always win.

Comment

Working...
                                X