• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Bosa holding out

While neither party chose to publicly convey the greater details of the stalemate in the interest of keeping talks peaceful and protected, there is known disagreement on what percentage of Bosa's signing bonus should be deferred to the 2017 calendar year. For players, it generally is considered favorable to receive more money upfront. Willingness to feature off-set language (a team-friendly provision) in Bosa's contract comes with expectation of minimal deferral amount.
    A day devoted to hotel check-ins, medical evaluations, conditioning tests and meetings will be remembered more in San Diego for who didn't check in, who didn't take his physical, who bypassed his on-field workout and missed his meetings.

So it isn't the offset language (which is practical and obvious), but how much of a fully guaranteed 25 million he gets when.

I can't really grasp Bosa's position with that probable guaranteed number unless they're trying to pay him 150 dollars this year.
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: Bosa holding out

In the Fiesta Bowl against ND, it looked to me like he intentionally speared the ND QB to get ejected from the gameafter seeing ND's Myles Jack go down.

Buyer beware, perhaps...
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Mace View Post
      http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...dout-contract/

So it isn't the offset language (which is practical and obvious), but how much of a fully guaranteed 25 million he gets when.

I can't really grasp Bosa's position with that probable guaranteed number unless they're trying to pay him 150 dollars this year.
      It could be stiffing him on certain money, with a pending L.A. move and fuzzy accounting coming into play. I'm sure if SD was staying for sure, this wouldn't be happening.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
        In the Fiesta Bowl against ND, it looked to me like he intentionally speared the ND QB to get ejected from the gameafter seeing ND's Myles Jack go down.

Buyer beware, perhaps...
        Myles Jack played for UCLA.

Bosa was a star player as a Freshman and one of the safest picks in the draft. This has to do with SD and their possible move. Trying to defer money.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Mace
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
          It could be stiffing him on certain money, with a pending L.A. move and fuzzy accounting coming into play. I'm sure if SD was staying for sure, this wouldn't be happening.
          Don't know. They're talking like it's all guaranteed anyway, he just wants more earlier, which boggles me, because it's all guaranteed anyway and with that much money it seems irrelevant unless they're trying to stick him with only 1 or 2 up front.

Even if they did that, the guaranteed contract is a favorable line of credit which is hardly going to cripple him. Just seems peculiar.

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
            Myles Jack played for UCLA.

Bosa was a star player as a Freshman and one of the safest picks in the draft. This has to do with SD and their possible move. Trying to defer money.
            My mistake - it was Jaylon Smith I was thinking about.

Here's what Bosa's mom said today:

"Wish we pulled an Eli Manning on draft day."

Comment

• Mace
              • Mar 2013

My mistake - it was Jaylon Smith I was thinking about.

Here's what Bosa's mom said today:

"Wish we pulled an Eli Manning on draft day."

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...a-mom-holdout/
              Still doesn't make sense to me, he supposedly wants his full 17 million bonus this year and not split with next. It's fully guaranteed anyway. I don't think many teams are going to play that game. It's like, so what ?

Comment

• stuckincincy
                Buffalo Bills Fan
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                Still doesn't make sense to me, he supposedly wants his full 17 million bonus this year and not split with next. It's fully guaranteed anyway. I don't think many teams are going to play that game. It's like, so what ?
                Agreed. The only sense I can see is he and his family are adamant on getting the bundle up front, a bird in hand being better than two in the bush, so to speak, because the plan is to dog it once he suits up, to the point where he's useless for SD to put on the field. Getting cut sooner rather than later suits the scheme.

The world is chock full of unethical, egotistical, greedy, bombastic people. Many of the the NFL owners fit that description.

IMO, he lowered his head with yards to go, to hit the ND QB for the purpose of getting tossed, to save himself from injury in the Fiesta Bowl.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Agreed. The only sense I can see is he and his family are adamant on getting the bundle up front, a bird in hand being better than two in the bush, so to speak, because the plan is to dog it once he suits up, to the point where he's useless for SD to put on the field. Getting cut sooner rather than later suits the scheme.

The world is chock full of unethical, egotistical, greedy, bombastic people. Many of the the NFL owners fit that description.

IMO, he lowered his head with yards to go, to hit the ND QB for the purpose of getting tossed, to save himself from injury in the Fiesta Bowl.

If he did do that, he's not very bright, increasing his chance of injuring himself by lowering his head.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                    If he did do that, he's not very bright, increasing his chance of injuring himself by lowering his head.
                    Having trouble thinking he's too bright anyway, arguing guaranteed money like 8-9 million just won't hold him for a year like 17 would until he holds out attempting to renegotiate in year 2.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                      Buffalo Bills Fan
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                      He did do it - there is no doubt about it. 'twas a low-speed affair. In the open. Check out the youtube video:

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

The saga continues...

Joey Bosa's holdout is proving a distraction for those at Chargers camp and at least one veteran is speaking up. What does Antonio Gates have to say to the rookie?

Comment

• Swiper
                          • Sep 2010

At some point Bosa has to understand he has to fall in line.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Chargers announced that they have pulled their offer to Bosa because of the time he missed he won't be able to contribute to a full season and thus will restructure their offer.

The Chargers pulled their offer to unsigned first-round draft pick Joey Bosa after he rejected what they said was their "best offer."
                            COMING SOON...
                            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• trapezeus
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Oct 2004

crazy if he dips back into the draft. really not fair to a team that drafts a guy. at least bosa can get back into the draft and be selected again. I wonder If he would go top 3 again with a year away from a football program. if he doesn't, he's losing a lot more than the "offset" language.

Comment

Working...
                              X