Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why all these FB and 2 TE formations?

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Why all these FB and 2 TE formations?

I watched the game recording today. So many formations with a FB, H-Back, 2 tight ends. When Manual went in I got out the pencil and noted that in 15 snaps they had a FB in for 8 and twice 2 TEs. One of the announcers at some point in the game noted that they were getting a lot of 8-in-the-box D tossed at them.

Tasker noted late in the 2nd that they hadn't made any OL substitutions. I realize that Glenn and Incognito weren't suited up, and they need to protect their QBs ,but they need to find out who is going to step up in the 3rd WR spot.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,336 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Why all these FB and 2 TE formations?

they had a lead against a team that couldn't move the ball and with a defensive head coach. looked like a 4 minute offense to me.

3. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (08-22-2016)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    they had a lead against a team that couldn't move the ball and with a defensive head coach. looked like a 4 minute offense to me.
    Perhaps. I think they fully realize that their OL is weak (what else is new?) and they wanted to make sure that their current crop of QBs didn't get flattened in preseason. They ran the FB/TE thing most of the game. Even with that, they had a terrible ground game.

They did not try to figure out things about their WR corps in this game.The slot guy? A crossing pattern by a WR, perhaps? They should have been running 3 wide sets most of the game, instead of sen ding out RBs down field.

And even with the extra help of a FB and the occasional a H-Back and the two-TS sets, they couldn't run for squat. They even stuck in a DL kid once or twice as a run blocker.

I suspect that the rest of the league are drawing up their plans for playing BUF with 8 in the box. Taylor doesn't scare anybody.

It's a train wreck...

Wasted game by the coaching staff IMO...better teams use the preseason to address weaknesses. Which is one reason why they are better.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 08-22-2016 at 01:32 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,336 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Perhaps. I think they fully realize that their OL is weak (what else is new?) and they wanted to make sure that their current crop of QBs didn't get flattened in preseason. They ran the FB/TE thing most of the game. Even with that, they had a terrible ground game.

They did not try to figure out things about their WR corps in this game.The slot guy? A crossing pattern by a WR, perhaps? They should have been running 3 wide sets most of the game, instead of sen ding out RBs down field.

And even with the extra help of a FB and the occasional a H-Back and the two-TS sets, they couldn't run for squat. They even stuck in a DL kid once or twice as a run blocker.

I suspect that the rest of the league are drawing up their plans for playing BUF with 8 in the box. Taylor doesn't scare anybody.

It's a train wreck...

Wasted game by the coaching staff IMO...better teams use the preseason to address weaknesses. Which is one reason why they are better.
    Taylor doesn't scare anybody? Do you not watch this team? Taylor is the QB as a coach I hate playing against. He can pick up first downs with his feet, his feet really hold off the pass rush by themselves, as the rushers need to make sure they don't over pursue and stay in their lanes, you need to put a spy on him most of the time, playing man defense is like playing roulette. Top it all off he has a great deep ball to burn you when you aren't playing something cautious.

Taylor opens up a lot for the rest of this offense

Is he as dangerous as aaron rogers? no way. nor does he scare me like someone like brady does. However, even if he had no arm his feet alone make life dificult for the defense. combined with a solid arm and he's (to take a saying from baseball) a tough out.
    Last edited by Ingtar33; 08-22-2016 at 04:20 AM.

6. Post thanked by:

Mad Bomber (08-23-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,524 Times in 17,417 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

With Watkins and Salas sitting and Woods getting limited snaps (did he even play against the Giants? I honestly don't remember seeing him...) it gives the younger guys fighting for roster spots basically the entire game (including some time with starters) to show what they can do. Even if the base offense was run out of a mostly run set when the coaches break down the film afterward they can see who was running the right routes, picking up the correct block downfield, reacting to the situation as the play unfolds, etc. I think that's a good thing.

As far as the extensive use of FB and two tight ends, that simply may be Roman's version of 'vanilla' for the preseason.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

8. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 3,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It was a protective scheme, no reason for 5 WR during the preseason.

10. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 24,441 Times in 14,158 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think it's a few factors:
    1. Like Ingtar mentioned, we had a big lead and were just running the clock constantly.
    2. I think they want to take a long look at a few depth FB/TE types, specifically Glenn Gronkowski and Blake Annen
    3. With Karlos Williams being cut and Gilly hurt, they needed to see what they had in Johnson and Wilder Jr.

I would expect Game 4 to be a very similar style offensively.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

12. Post thanked by:

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Why would Roman show anything film worthy in the pre season?

14. Post thanked by:

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    1. Like Ingtar mentioned, we had a big lead and were just running the clock constantly.
    2. I think they want to take a long look at a few depth FB/TE types, specifically Glenn Gronkowski and Blake Annen
    3. With Karlos Williams being cut and Gilly hurt, they needed to see what they had in Johnson and Wilder Jr.

This. It's not rocket science.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I watched the game recording today. So many formations with a FB, H-Back, 2 tight ends. When Manual went in I got out the pencil and noted that in 15 snaps they had a FB in for 8 and twice 2 TEs. One of the announcers at some point in the game noted that they were getting a lot of 8-in-the-box D tossed at them.

Tasker noted late in the 2nd that they hadn't made any OL substitutions. I realize that Glenn and Incognito weren't suited up, and they need to protect their QBs ,but they need to find out who is going to step up in the 3rd WR spot.

because it's preseason....really the only answer here

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I read the title and thought this was about Facebook.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Heavy formations are Greg Roman's thing. I'm not surprised he pulled that out, his is not a 5 wide spread the field offense. Yeah, teams are certainly going to stack the box on us, which is why Watkins, Clay, and whomever wins our #2 spot need to be able to win deep passes.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

19. Post thanked by:

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The game was 14 - with 31 seconds left in the 2nd. Then NYG fumbled on their own 19. My point is that throughout the 1st half, and into the second, they kept using FBs and 2 TEs.

Nothing wrong with trying out the FBs, TEs, RBs, but I'm not sure how much you learn about them with power formations. I'd want to see how they do with 3WR sets.

As to WR - they have Watkins - recovered we hope - for good. But one has to think about re-injury. And a hot and cold Woods. Then what? This is a major thing to address IMO.

In this pass-friendly league, I want to use the preseason to find who rises to the top as my (hopefully) reliable #3. What other WRs should I keep on the roster. So I would use a lot of rotation, 3 and 4 WR sets. This will also give me some info about how my OL and OL bench is doing with pass protection, and run blocking.

Just my

21. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (08-23-2016)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    Taylor doesn't scare anybody? Do you not watch this team? Taylor is the QB as a coach I hate playing against. He can pick up first downs with his feet, his feet really hold off the pass rush by themselves, as the rushers need to make sure they don't over pursue and stay in their lanes, you need to put a spy on him most of the time, playing man defense is like playing roulette. Top it all off he has a great deep ball to burn you when you aren't playing something cautious.

Taylor opens up a lot for the rest of this offense

Is he as dangerous as aaron rogers? no way. nor does he scare me like someone like brady does. However, even if he had no arm his feet alone make life dificult for the defense. combined with a solid arm and he's (to take a saying from baseball) a tough out.
    My saying "Taylor scares nobody" was over the top. I like Taylor, but I have to factor in that he led the team to victory over only 2 teams that ended up with winning regular season records - NYJ and HOU.

Yes he has shifty feet etc., and I appreciate that, but he has to take off more that I care for (see the long-standing BUF OL woes).

He got his new contract which seems to be one that has this or that "out" clauses. Which says to me that the team feels that this coming season will tell if he's the real deal or that the other clubs have figured out how to play against his skills.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,441 Times in 14,158 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The game was 14 - with 31 seconds left in the 2nd. Then NYG fumbled on their own 19. My point is that throughout the 1st half, and into the second, they kept using FBs and 2 TEs.

Nothing wrong with trying out the FBs, TEs, RBs, but I'm not sure how much you learn about them with power formations. I'd want to see how they do with 3WR sets.

As to WR - they have Watkins - recovered we hope - for good. But one has to think about re-injury. And a hot and cold Woods. Then what? This is a major thing to address IMO.

In this pass-friendly league, I want to use the preseason to find who rises to the top as my (hopefully) reliable #3. What other WRs should I keep on the roster. So I would use a lot of rotation, 3 and 4 WR sets. This will also give me some info about how my OL and OL bench is doing with pass protection, and run blocking.

Just my
    Then Clay, then McCoy. The #3 WR will be a 5th option in the passing game more than likely.

24. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (08-23-2016)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Then Clay, then McCoy. The #3 WR will be a 5th option in the passing game more than likely.
    8 in the box, here we come.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 08-24-2016 at 08:34 PM.

26. Post thanked by:

Mace (08-24-2016)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

8 in the box, here we come.
    So beat them deep until they back off. So goes the chess match.

28. Post thanked by:

feldspar (08-25-2016),The last buffalo fan (08-25-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    Exactly.

The deep threat is important when you have a run-heavy offense. Tyrod Taylor can throw the deep ball very well...we've all seen it.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    Yes - if you can do it. The 8 - 3 is essentially a 3 down linemen set, with 5 others standing up and confusing the QB as to who is covering who, or who will stay home, who will rush the QB and make him pass too quickly? Will some of the 5 drop back and jump routes? Will the CBs press the WRs at the LOS? How good are one's WRs at beating that immediate press?

JMO, when your opponent starts playing 8 in the box against you have either a run game that irks them, you have decided that said run game is what you choose to feature, or you have a passing attack and pass protection that doesn't particularly strike fear in them.

As you say - chess match.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 08-25-2016 at 09:55 AM.

31. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (08-25-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,914 Times in 5,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Rex is building a bully