Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bosa /Chargers aren't coming together, their best offer is being pulled of the table

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bosa /Chargers aren't coming together, their best offer is being pulled of the ta

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Much better example.

I think Bosa would still end up being a top 10 pick if he ultimately decides to re-enter the draft next year...it'll cost him a few dollars and will get him a year further from FA though.
    Dunno. His motivation to perform is under serious question. And were I a GM, I'd have to be concerned about the effect inking him would have on my current players who are already giving their best efforts to get wins for their team.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,441 Times in 14,158 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bosa /Chargers aren't coming together, their best offer is being pulled of the ta

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    I see what you're saying but without the offsets aren't you actually giving a player an INCENTIVE to suck? I'm normally pro player but you have to wonder a bit when a player is willing to play hardball when he's going to get paid the full guaranteed money, just not a BONUS for sucking. That isn't logical no matter what was done in the past in my opinion.
    Not if he wants a second contract and to get seriously paid.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I guess SD's public outburst puts that doubt into other GM's minds as well. so I guess that makes more sense on why they did it that way. make him seem like damaged goods.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 3,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post

Then again, it's not the Bills so who really cares outside of 20 threads a day Skooby...
    I started none today, lowering my average to 19.9 a day.

5. Post thanked by:

Mace (08-25-2016)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    I started none today, lowering my average to 19.9 a day.
    Add some more, please. Days can go by when this site inches along like the tiny waves lapping up against an old sailing ship mired in the doldrums. Heh - mixed metaphores rule!

7. Post thanked by:

Mace (08-25-2016),Skooby (08-25-2016)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    I disagree, if I'm getting guaranteed money, then that should truly mean guaranteed no matter what.
    Yes, but this is the whole thing in a nutshell. It IS truly guaranteed.

If the last year of his contract says he gets 2 million, he gets 2 million. Period. Offset language means if he was bad enough to get cut, and some team gives him 100k, he still gets 2 million. The Chargers just pay 1,900,000 of it, while the new team pays 100k. He gets 2 million.

Thing is, if you're bad enough to get cut, teams don't just cut cheap players with possibility, they pick up the option and then tags and UFA start, why should he get to increase his salary ? First of all, he's going on waivers, a team claims him. He still gets 2 million dollars. They are going to pay him lower, that's right, he was cut, they don't want to pay him 2 million dollars, San Diego is still on the hook for the guaranteed money minus his new salary. Why should he get 2 million dollars from San Diego, plus say a million from a team who wants him to report, essentially rewarding him for being terrible in San Diego and getting cut under guaranteed contract ? That's double dipping.

As for his guarantee, he's getting 17 million signing bonus. 15.5 up front and 1.5 next year is unreasonable ? He's getting the whole 17 million regardless.

Put the whole thing into real world context. You're guaranteed the next 4 years of salary no matter how you do, with a huge bonus, guaranteed. Are you going to haggle that if you're terrible and get fired (you're still guaranteed the whole sum), you should be able to make even more off of your terrible performance ? This sort of puts the employers position in a different light. You're still getting the same sum regardless, the employer your dorked and the employer you joined are just sharing the burden of your career path.

He gets the same guaranteed money. No offset gets him more for being cut. Still makes no sense to me.

I'm kind of amazed I'm arguing about Joey Bosa this passionately and he's not even on the Bills, but I guess I'm that bored at this point in the offseason.

9. Post thanked by:

Bill Cody (08-26-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Add some more, please. Days can go by when this site inches along like the tiny waves lapping up against an old sailing ship mired in the doldrums. Heh - mixed metaphores rule!
    I appreciate that, it's hard when you perpetually get grief when pointing things out that might be unobvious. Some things may even seem crazy but there's other angles that need to viewed.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Spanos pulled the Chargers' latest offer after failing to reach agreement on a deal that would pay Bosa 85 percent of his $17 million signing bonus during this calendar year. That offer was up from San Diego's starting point of 60 percent.

"I'm blown away," Spanos told the San Diego Union-Tribune. "At all costs I wanted to avoid going down this road. They made it overly clear we had no other option."

Now that the Chargers are resigned to the contract impasse's deleterious effect on Bosa's rookie season, Spanos is pulling no punches.

"It's absolutely asinine," Spanos said. "He would have gotten more cash in this calendar year than anyone except Carson Wentz."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...lutely-asinine

WTF does this guy want, or think he deserves? He's going to turn down getting 85% of his guaranteed money this year? Why exactly? He's definitely putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on himself by doing this...this is not the way to become a fan-favorite. He'd better play well once he finally arrives, or they won't let him be.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Spanos pulled the Chargers' latest offer after failing to reach agreement on a deal that would pay Bosa 85 percent of his $17 million signing bonus during this calendar year. That offer was up from San Diego's starting point of 60 percent.

"I'm blown away," Spanos told the San Diego Union-Tribune. "At all costs I wanted to avoid going down this road. They made it overly clear we had no other option."

Now that the Chargers are resigned to the contract impasse's deleterious effect on Bosa's rookie season, Spanos is pulling no punches.

"It's absolutely asinine," Spanos said. "He would have gotten more cash in this calendar year than anyone except Carson Wentz."

WTF does this guy want, or think he deserves? He's going to turn down getting 85% of his guaranteed money this year? Why exactly? He's definitely putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on himself by doing this...this is not the way to become a fan-favorite. He'd better play well once he finally arrives, or they won't let him be.
    He's been convinced that he's the S--t, life doesn't hand you $17 M for sure without some type of luck. If anything happens to him, his might run out.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Yes, but this is the whole thing in a nutshell. It IS truly guaranteed.
    No, it's truly not. A guaranteed contract means that regardless of what happens to me you as the organization owes me X dollars. You don't suddenly get taken off the hook because you can't scout or put me in a position to fail. Why should I support your risk mitigation techniques and take on all the risk? If I go out there and under preform not only do I hurt my current earnings but I also hurt my future earnings because the league wants to double dip.

Thing is, if you're bad enough to get cut, teams don't just cut cheap players with possibility, they pick up the option and then tags and UFA start, why should he get to increase his salary ? First of all, he's going on waivers, a team claims him. He still gets 2 million dollars. They are going to pay him lower, that's right, he was cut, they don't want to pay him 2 million dollars, San Diego is still on the hook for the guaranteed money minus his new salary. Why should he get 2 million dollars from San Diego, plus say a million from a team who wants him to report, essentially rewarding him for being terrible in San Diego and getting cut under guaranteed contract ? That's double dipping.
    I get that if this is waivers but the offset isn't just limited to waivers. That's my issue with it.

As for his guarantee, he's getting 17 million signing bonus. 15.5 up front and 1.5 next year is unreasonable ? He's getting the whole 17 million regardless.
    I don't know, but if you tell me I'm getting a $17 million signing bonus, I'm gonna be expecting a check for $17 million once I sign, you wouldn't?

Put the whole thing into real world context. You're guaranteed the next 4 years of salary no matter how you do, with a huge bonus, guaranteed. Are you going to haggle that if you're terrible and get fired (you're still guaranteed the whole sum), you should be able to make even more off of your terrible performance ? This sort of puts the employers position in a different light. You're still getting the same sum regardless, the employer your dorked and the employer you joined are just sharing the burden of your career path.
    You can't do that because the difference between how a regular corporation operates in the NFL are not even remotely comparable.

He gets the same guaranteed money. No offset gets him more for being cut. Still makes no sense to me.
    There is no guarantee he gets more, if he gets cut going into the final year with a $5 million guaranteed amount left but signs a 1 year deal for $2 million he's not suddenly going to be making seven. He still only gets five million he was already owed, that's basically free labor for the team who signed him.

I'm kind of amazed I'm arguing about Joey Bosa this passionately and he's not even on the Bills, but I guess I'm that bored at this point in the offseason.
    No worries, college football kicks off tonight, so we should be good to go after this.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He wanted either his entire signing bonus up front or he wanted no offsets. No other pick at #2-5 was asked to give up either from 2012-2015.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,934 Times in 3,490 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not if he wants a second contract and to get seriously paid.
    There's ALWAYS a bigger incentive to play well but you can't deny removing the offsets creates an incentive in the other direction that isn't there with the offsets. Obviously a lot of teams including SD have non-bigotedn up to this and they want no part of it which makes sense to me.

Example: Let's say Bosa gets hurt and then isn't really the same guy after he returns and he gets frustrated. With no offsets he can play all kinds of games until he's cut and then some team like NE gives him a 2nd chance. So then he goes Rocky and puts the pedal to the metal all the while SD is still paying him. That's nonsense.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bosa is no saint...he's no Charger, either.

he's just being an idiot at this point, IMO. Or maybe it's his ma or his agent. But this is just stupid already.

17. Post thanked by:

Skooby (08-26-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bosa is no saint...he's no Charger, either.

he's just being an idiot at this point, IMO. Or maybe it's his ma or his agent. But this is just stupid already.
    It's like not cashing a lottery ticket on time, it's sorta crazy.

19. Post thanked by:

feldspar (08-26-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    It's like not cashing a lottery ticket on time, it's sorta crazy.
    I don't know what the difference is to Bosa whether he has to wait a matter of months to get the remaining 15% of his guaranteed money, or signing bonus, or whatever. I mean, WTF? What exactly does he need to buy or invest in in the meantime?

You are right. He's set to be a rich man, but refuses to play the game, if you will. This should not be that big of a deal at all.

Sounds to me like he's banking on the possibility that he won't be good at the the thing he's actually being paid for. I can't imagine the *****-fest that would ensue had something like this happen with the Bills. But, again, I think Bosa has egg on his face with a sense of entitlement at this point. All this training he's missed will not help his play either, obviously. Dunno who is on "his side" anymore. I'm not.

21. Post thanked by:

Skooby (08-26-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I just think Bosa has no desire to play for the Chargers and is quibbling about any little thing to get his way.

At this point almost everyone publicly is ridiculing the Chargers for what they're doing in this entire process and they might have pushed things beyond the point of no return.

Unless there is a sign and trade, which I dunno if it even happens in the NFL, I don't see Bosa ever signing a contract with the Chargers.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I say **** the entitled jackass. He's alarming the entire league of his mentality and is only hurting himself in San Diego and elsewhere.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    There's ALWAYS a bigger incentive to play well but you can't deny removing the offsets creates an incentive in the other direction that isn't there with the offsets. Obviously a lot of teams including SD have non-bigotedn up to this and they want no part of it which makes sense to me.
    I disagree, take Sammy Watkins for example. He was the #4 pick in 2014 and his contract does not contain any offset language. Do you think he has any kind of an incentive to not try hard? A guy is either going to want to make the most of his opportunity or he isn't, the inclusion of offset language doesn't do anything to add incentive for poor play.

Example: Let's say Bosa gets hurt and then isn't really the same guy after he returns and he gets frustrated. With no offsets he can play all kinds of games until he's cut and then some team like NE gives him a 2nd chance. So then he goes Rocky and puts the pedal to the metal all the while SD is still paying him. That's nonsense.
    That's the risk you take when you draft any player. That's also why the owners got the rookie cap in the first place to limit their risk. Injuries happen and some times guys who get a second or third chance finally bloom.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    I say **** the entitled jackass. He's alarming the entire league of his mentality and is only hurting himself in San Diego and elsewhere.
    The thing is he's not.

The rest of the league is pretty alarmed at the Chargers for their behavior in this whole thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,934 Times in 3,490 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I disagree, take Sammy Watkins for example. He was the #4 pick in 2014 and his contract does not contain any offset language. Do you think he has any kind of an incentive to not try hard? A guy is either going to want to make the most of his opportunity or he isn't, the inclusion of offset language doesn't do anything to add incentive for poor play.
    Obviously you're wrong. If you were right teams wouldn't be demanding it. Or is your position that no player would ever take advantage of the contract just because most don't? Or that the teams are just being dicks? No, there's a reason there's an argument here.

That's the risk you take when you draft any player. That's also why the owners got the rookie cap in the first place to limit their risk. Injuries happen and some times guys who get a second or third chance finally bloom.
    Only if the team and the player agree it is. The offsets are not illegal. Your argument is that it wasn't done in the past so it shouldn't be done now. To which I say it was dumb before and it's dumb now.