Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bosa /Chargers aren't coming together, their best offer is being pulled of the table

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,468 Times in 9,174 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bosa /Chargers aren't coming together, their best offer is being pulled of the ta

Quote Originally Posted by k-oneputt View Post
    Thank-you. That ends that scenario.
    It still really looks to me like all Bosa did was make sure he gets less money. Chargers pulled their offer and mean to offer him less now (for games he won't play), and if he goes back into the draft he won't be going 3rd again after sitting out a year.

2. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (08-25-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,425 Times in 14,144 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bosa /Chargers aren't coming together, their best offer is being pulled of the ta

Quote Originally Posted by k-oneputt View Post
    Thank-you. That ends that scenario.
    Not completely, they could still do a sign and trade deal. I just have no idea how you structure it with the bonuses to ensure the Chargers wouldn't be left with dead cap money from the trade.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

4. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Not completely, they could still do a sign and trade deal. I just have no idea how you structure it with the bonuses to ensure the Chargers wouldn't be left with dead cap money from the trade.
    From what I understand, you can't.

Another possible outcome, though it is very unlikely, would be a sign-and-trade scenario. The Chargers could sign Bosa and then trade him to another team, but San Diego would take a huge cap hit in terms of dead money, so it's unlikely the Chargers would pursue this option considering they would just end up paying Bosa to play for a different team.
    http://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/8/124...o-chargers-why

6. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Had a cat on my arm. Signing bonus is guaranteed, you can't trade dead cap. It would cost the Chargers 17 million in dead cap.

8. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (08-25-2016),The last buffalo fan (08-25-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yea with the way that the NFL pro-rates bonuses it would be nearly impossible unless he "waives" the signing bonus and gets it in Year 2 as a roster bonus. And I'm not even sure they can do that but he'd basically have to waive all bonuses and any other cap hits (outside of salary) until he's officially with his new team.

10. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Had a cat on my arm. Signing bonus is guaranteed, you can't trade dead cap. It would cost the Chargers 17 million in dead cap.
    I didn't know the CBA guaranteed a Signing Bonus slot as well. Seems odd.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,480 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't understand all the terms of this ****. But it seems to me there is a cap on what they can offer. They reached it. WTF else does he want? The guy is a tool in the order of Vesey right now.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    I didn't know the CBA guaranteed a Signing Bonus slot as well. Seems odd.
    He can't waive anything for signing bonus. From what I understand it's predetermined based on percentage of cap by draft slot in the first 4 rounds.

Again, this is from what I understand in looking it up.

As for salaries, the vast majority of drafted players have four years of non-guaranteed minimum salaries, accompanied by a signing bonus that’s not negotiated by the agent, but predetermined by the CBA.
    "Vast majority" I believe is first 4 rounds.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/22/nfl-ro...t-negotiations
    Last edited by Mace; 08-24-2016 at 09:40 PM.

14. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (08-25-2016)

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    the chargers aren't the only team that uses offsets in their rookie contract language (most teams do, it's something that was allowed with the rookie pay cap); they are one of a handful of teams that do it with their "other" contracts though. everyone knows they do. it's just what you have to live with when you deal with the chargers.

it's not just the chargers, nearly every single rookie who signed this year has offset language in their deal.

It's obviously collusion the way nfl clubs are using it. but while I would be all over the team if it was anyone else for collusion, the chargers have been using offset language or a form of it in every single contract signed since the last labor deal. Its their way of doing business.
    If only one team does it I'm missing the collusion basis.

The other way to view this is that allthe other teams aren't having this problem under the same CBA...

It doesn't seem that hard to me. The contract is pretty much known. It's a cheap rate compared to pre-rookie-salary-cap days so what is the problem.

I can't back the Chargers at all here. If they are getting the guy they think they have based on the pick they spent on him they get a steal.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    I can't back the Chargers at all here. If they are getting the guy they think they have based on the pick they spent on him they get a steal.
    I really don't get this. He gets the same guaranteed money through the life of the deal, but wants to either (no offset) double dip if he's that terrible to get cut in 4 years (before option), or wants more of the money he'll get anyway (I read somewhere it's like 1.5 mil diff) from the Chargers.

It's the same money. It's guaranteed.
    Last edited by Mace; 08-24-2016 at 09:57 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I really don't get this. He gets the same guaranteed money through the life of the deal, but wants to either (no offset) double dip if he's that terrible to get cut in 4 years (before option), or wants more of the money he'll get anyway (I read somewhere it's like 1.5 mil diff) from the Chargers.

It's the same money. It's guaranteed.
    Tell him to go **** himself. I'm on board with the Chargers. There's a reason all this has been negotiated, to avoid this stuff. He cant get this money as a CEO in 5 years, like he could anyways.

18. Post thanked by:

Mace (08-24-2016)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The other way to view this is that allthe other teams aren't having this problem under the same CBA...

It doesn't seem that hard to me. The contract is pretty much known. It's a cheap rate compared to pre-rookie-salary-cap days so what is the problem.

IIRC, he wants all his guaranteed $ up front, and wants you to sign up to pay that regardless if he every plays a down. You can't recover future money if I go out and do something bad.

That's like hiring a contractor who says pay me for all the materials and labor costs that I haven't yet incurred - now - before I start the job, and too bad for you if I never show up. And if I do show up and dig a ditch somebody falls in, no skin off my nose. You gotta pay me additional $ to get out of the contract.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 08-24-2016 at 10:07 PM.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    IIRC, he wants all his guaranteed $ up front, and wants you to sign up to pay that regardless if he every plays a down. You can't recover future money if I go out and do something bad.

That's like hiring a contractor who says pay me for all thematerials and labor costs that I haven't yet incurred - now - before I start the job, and too bad for you if I never show up. And if I dig a ditch somebody falls in, no skin off my nose.
    The weird thing to me is that it's still the guaranteed money he's guaranteed. I don't get why anyone is blaming the Chargers. He gets the same money. They offered him up to 15.5 million of 17 million first year that he's going to get anyway. He still gets that 1.5 million and all the rest, because well, it's guaranteed.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post

That's like hiring a contractor who says pay me for all the materials and labor costs that I haven't yet incurred - now - before I start the job, and too bad for you if I never show up. And if I do show up and dig a ditch somebody falls in, no skin off my nose. You gotta pay me additional $ to get out of the contract.
    That's how guaranteed money works. It's guaranteed even if you are terrible. This is more like scouring the country to find the best contractor in the USA, paying a massive retainer to secure his exclusive rights, and then saying "Woah! What if you're an incompetent buffoon? I gotta protect myself here!"

The weird thing to me is that it's still the guaranteed money he's guaranteed. I don't get why anyone is blaming the Chargers. He gets the same money. They offered him up to 15.5 million of 17 million first year that he's going to get anyway. He still gets that 1.5 million and all the rest, because well, it's guaranteed.
    I'm blaming the Chargers because this always seems to happen to the Chargers. This is, by my count, the sixth franchise type player they've antagonized until it became a public **** flinging contest just in the last 15 years.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    I'm blaming the Chargers because this always seems to happen to the Chargers. This is, by my count, the sixth franchise type player they've antagonized until it became a public **** flinging contest just in the last 15 years.
    I mean that's fine and all, but it's still the same guaranteed money.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I mean that's fine and all, but it's still the same guaranteed money.
    If it's all the same, why not pay it?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Your books. NFL teams have them.

Would anyone reasonably refuse 15.5 million when they're getting the other 1.5 the next year anyway ?

There is no "if" whatever. It's the same GUARANTEED money by slot. It just is.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bosa's a Vesey. See Marinovich. **** em all.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

2 years ago, simultaneously nearly all the teams independently and without consulting each other in any way whatsoever , suddenly started to demand "offsets" in their rookie contract offers. Prior to this only a couple of teams were using it (Chargers included in that list), and it was a "negotiable" feature of those contracts. In the NFL right now, no team will bend on offsets for rookie deals anymore. It's straight up collusion. And offsets are one of the things the players union is going to try to get rid of next CBA (offsets are ALLOWED in the current CBA; the teams aren't doing anything illegal, it's just curious how it went from a nearly never used contract detail to universally used contract detail which no nfl team will bend on no matter what).
    Last edited by Ingtar33; 08-24-2016 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
    You can say that about 95% of the threads you start.
    My threads get people talking and debating each other, better than talking about S--t in other forums (literally).