X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamze132
    • Jun 2003

Congrats Rex

Congrats on keeping most of your starters healthy through the preseason. Seriously, it takes guts to buck the NFL by not treating the 3rd game as a dress rehearsal. Now we'll get to Baltimore as healthy as can be with a bunch of good players who won't have the stamina and who are definitely not in game shape.

I think when this season is over, we're going to look back at what went wrong and a lot of fans are going to blame injuries, rightfully so.
  • feldspar
    • Mar 2007

Re: Congrats Rex

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
    Congrats on keeping most of your starters healthy through the preseason. Seriously, it takes guts to buck the NFL by not treating the 3rd game as a dress rehearsal. Now we'll get to Baltimore as healthy as can be with a bunch of good players who won't have the stamina and who are definitely not in game shape.

I think when this season is over, we're going to look back at what went wrong and a lot of fans are going to blame injuries, rightfully so.
    What are you saying? That the Bills starters won't be in game shape nor have stamina because they didn't play the whole first half of yesterday's exhibition game, and they are more likely to get injured later on now? If so, I can't disagree any more. In fact, I think it was a smart move to sit those guys and give the bubble players a chance to match-up against the other team's better players in order to make roster evaluations.

While I'm no expert, I don't imagine the Bills players have just been pulling each other's puds all training camp. They'll be as ready as they'd ever be come week 1, regardless of what happened week three of preseason. Hopefully, I won't be lamenting too much about further injuries later on down the line, but that's part of the game too. We'll see about that...nothing any of us can do about it.

Comment

• Turf
      • Jul 2002

What was Marvs preseason record, 2-38?
      Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

I guess there was no camp in Rochester. It was a media creation.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Novacane
          • Jul 2002

Please bring back the groan feature!

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post

Rex has a special way with words:

..."Ryan notably pulled Tyrod Taylor after just two drives that saw the starting quarterback absorb a sack and another punishing hit, leading the coach to question if Taylor should have dressed at all.

"Looks like a stupid decision to play him," Ryan said, "because I never expected him to get hit."...

Rex Ryan used Friday night's tune-up as a chance to rest the majority of his starters, while yanking other key players after two possessions. Tyrod Taylor absorbed some hits though while he played.
            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

I'm as big of a critic of Wrecks as anybody, but I have no problem with him sitting obvious starters in the third preseason game and 'bucking' the NFL's conventional wisdom. I'd rather keep the front liners as healthy as possible and watch the younger/newer guys that are battling for roster spots anyway.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Historian
                2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                • Dec 2002

...and Gragg still tore an ACL.

Sheesh!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

I still think that Watkins shoulda got a little more work in prior to the start of the regular season.

Other than him, no issues on how the starters were used.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                    • Jul 2005

He is being sarcastic.

Comment

• Mace
                      Haha...yeah you think so ?
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Turf View Post
                      These aren't Marv's Bills.

I always go back and forth on this every preseason.
                      -Not playing starters enough leaves them rustier and questionably conditioned for the season. But they're pro athletes who've been playing the game at high level for years.
                      -Playing starters too much risks injury. But injuries are going to happen anyway and they're pro athletes who've been playing the game at high level for years.

This year I concluded the coaching staff has to be presumed to know better. Whether they do or not will be proven when the Bills either come out of the gate rusty and have a bunch of conditioning injuries, or fresh and energetic.

Injuries are going to happen anyway though, and Rex Ryan isn't on my list of savvy conditioning experts.

We'll see.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                        What are you saying? That the Bills starters won't be in game shape nor have stamina because they didn't play the whole first half of yesterday's exhibition game, and they are more likely to get injured later on now? If so, I can't disagree any more. In fact, I think it was a smart move to sit those guys and give the bubble players a chance to match-up against the other team's better players in order to make roster evaluations.

While I'm no expert, I don't imagine the Bills players have just been pulling each other's puds all training camp. They'll be as ready as they'd ever be come week 1, regardless of what happened week three of preseason. Hopefully, I won't be lamenting too much about further injuries later on down the line, but that's part of the game too. We'll see about that...nothing any of us can do about it.
                        Sailed over your head a lttle bit?
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
                          He is being sarcastic.
                          It isn't written very well to convey the point, with the individual sentences bouncing from one end of the scale to the other.

Was he being sarcastic in sentences one and three, and sincere in the second...or vice versa?
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Turf View Post
                            Please. Just stop.

The NFL of the 90s has nothing to do with today's game. That was before FA when teams would return 90% of their starters every year. It was the same guys running the same systems every time.

Now, we have a coaching carousel, and even when we have consistency for a year or two in terms of systems, the personnel changes so much. The 90's teams didn't need reps. This team does.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                              These aren't Marv's Bills.

I always go back and forth on this every preseason.
                              -Not playing starters enough leaves them rustier and questionably conditioned for the season. But they're pro athletes who've been playing the game at high level for years.
                              -Playing starters too much risks injury. But injuries are going to happen anyway and they're pro athletes who've been playing the game at high level for years.

This year I concluded the coaching staff has to be presumed to know better. Whether they do or not will be proven when the Bills either come out of the gate rusty and have a bunch of conditioning injuries, or fresh and energetic.

Injuries are going to happen anyway though, and Rex Ryan isn't on my list of savvy conditioning experts.

We'll see.
                              Has anyone demonstrated any correlation between preseason play time and team success in the regular season?

My guess is there is zero. It's all old timey wisdom that is backed by things like gut feeling and outdates concepts of being "tough" and not actual data and science. The same way we all cringe when we hear about NFL coaches wanting to play smashmouth football.

I did find this tidbit that is slightly unrelated but interesting:

Comment

Working...
                              X