X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Victor7
    • Jul 2013

Re: Vikings QB Bridgewater might be done for the season

For the life of me I can't understand why so many of these world class athletes get hurt by themselves. When they get hit its one thing. But you often hear of the non contact injuries. These guys are absolute beasts and the top of the pyramid in athleticism and strength. Why ?

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Victor7 View Post
      For the life of me I can't understand why so many of these world class athletes get hurt by themselves. When they get hit its one thing. But you often hear of the non contact injuries. These guys are absolute beasts and the top of the pyramid in athleticism and strength. Why ?
      I would guess they are pushing the stress points of their bodies mechanical structure/capabilities beyond their limits.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Victor7
        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        I would guess they are pushing the stress points of their bodies mechanical structure/capabilities beyond their limits.
        On non contact injuries ? They would have to be doing some weird stretching, body bending weird ass moves.

Comment

• Luisito23
          Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
          • Apr 2003

Maybe it's the demanding strain/stress on their bones, muscles and body...Some people are just not meant to take that constant physical punishment.
          "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
          ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
          ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
          ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• feldspar
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR View Post
            Why are we trying to get rid of EJ.

If Tyrod goes down you want Jones starting?
            We aren't trying to get rid of EJ in no way, shape or form.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

That kid who had that horrific injury at Louisville in the Final Four had it happen via non-contact.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Swiper
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2010

This injury sounds horrible. Hope he is ok. Never like to hear this stuff.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

On non contact injuries ? They would have to be doing some weird stretching, body bending weird ass moves.
                  Not necessarily. If working out/training etc already builds muscle/tendon/ligament close to their limit it doesn't take much to push it over.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ckg927
                    Not quite Best in the World....
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                    This injury sounds horrible. Hope he is ok. Never like to hear this stuff.
                    The Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that, per the Vikings' head trainer, Bridgewater has a complete tear of his ACL in the left knee-as well as other structural damage to the same knee.
                    John Hemingway(facing certain death): I want to see Buffalo win the Super Bowl.
                    David Coltrane(threatening John): Nobody's going to live that long, pal.

-The John Larroquette Show, "A Dark and Stormy Night", 4/12/94

Comment

• Mace
                      Haha...yeah you think so ?
                      • Mar 2013

Turf, cleats and body mechanics don't always mesh well.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                        Dances With Buffaloes
                        • Sep 2002

speaking strictly as someone who's worked in and around football his whole life, noncontact injuries, particularly to the legs are typically a sign steroid use. That or horrible luck + bad field.

not insinuating anything about Bridgewater, just tossing it out there that in general most of these types of injuries occur because of the human body being pushed well beyond it's structural capacity. That structural capacity tends to be "stronger" when built up with weight training and years of hard work. Adding 20lb of muscle due to steroids over a summer, you do nothing to increase the ability of your joints, tendons and ligaments to withstand those new forces.
                        Last edited by Ingtar33; 08-30-2016, 08:24 PM.
                        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Mace
                          Haha...yeah you think so ?
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                          speaking strictly as someone who's worked in and around football his whole life, noncontact injuries, particularly to the legs are typically a sign steroid use. That or horrible luck + bad field.

not insinuating anything about Bridgewater, just tossing it out there that in general most of these types of injuries occur because of the human body being pushed well beyond it's structural capacity. That structural capacity tends to be "stronger" when built up with weight training and years of hard work. Adding 20lb of muscle due to steroids over a summer, you do nothing to increase the ability of your joints, tendons and ligaments to withstand those new forces.
                          Thing is though, they put down new matching turf at their stadium and practice field. Some players called it sticky, soft, mushy, needing to be broken in. They said Bridgewater dropped back, planted his foot and crumpled with his knee flailing all over the place.

On the turf, via the Chargers : http://www.wctrib.com/sports/pro/410...etter-new-turf

Comment

• stuckincincy
                            Buffalo Bills Fan
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post

Injuries can, and may well, occur to ligaments, tendons joints, in the general population among folks who get cortisone injections. Those injections are cash cows to podiatrists that treat plantar fasciitis. IIRC, you get the shots and the problems might show up years later.

There was an injury thread here weeks ago, where I posted about the limitations of the body and the over-building of the body as to why we are seeing these camp and preseason injuries. Nothing prescient by me - it's old medical knowledge.
                            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Turf
                              • Jul 2002

IMO, the players train to hard. Look at the stupid leaping drills in scouting combines. It's getting to the point where we have body builders, who were not meant to move like this, playing football. I was always amazed how the bills in their 4 glorious years remained relatively injury free. The training regimes for these players are insane.
                              Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Swiper
                                Legendary Zoner
                                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ckg927 View Post
                                The Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that, per the Vikings' head trainer, Bridgewater has a complete tear of his ACL in the left knee-as well as other structural damage to the same knee.
                                I guess Chan Gailey was ahead of his time when he had the Bills lineman wearing knee braces during camp and preseason.

Comment

Working...
                                X