• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Why Russ Brandon needs to go.

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    I'd be all for getting rid of Russ if he were still in the position he was in over the last bunch of years when Ralph was owner. That's not the case anymore, at least I believe Pegula when he says that. A lot of people don't, which is fine, but can you answer my question?

Which decision did Russ make that has caused us to miss the playoffs since Pegula was hired and moved him to the non-football aspect of the team?
    Again, no one knows the inner workings of the team. There are probably only 10 people in the world close enough to the situation to answer that question, and none of them post here, and if they did, they wouldn't answer as long as they value their jobs.

Just because Brandon's position is technically "non-football" doesn't automatically preclude him from influencing football decisions. The only way to ensure that he doesn't is to get rid of him.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
      Making Spirits Bright
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
      Again, no one knows the inner workings of the team. There are probably only 10 people in the world close enough to the situation to answer that question, and none of them post here, and if they did, they wouldn't answer as long as they value their jobs.
      "We don't know what he does, but we want him fired."

That's just ridiculous.

Just because Brandon's position is technically "non-football" doesn't automatically preclude him from influencing football decisions. The only way to ensure that he doesn't is to get rid of him.
      Well one way to ensure that is to reduce his responsibilities to only non-football related tasks, which is what Pegula said he did.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

That's just ridiculous.

Well one way to ensure that is to reduce his responsibilities to only non-football related tasks, which is what Pegula said he did.
        I didn't say we don't know what he does. What I said was that we don't know how much influence he had over specific decisions. You complain that people aren't answering your question, then as soon as someone does, you spin their words.

Yes, technically he does not have "football related" tasks. But you don't know if he has Pegula's ear on football issues (Rex is much more marketable than any of the other coaches available at the time). You don't know if he pressures Whaley on football issues. Hell, you don't know if Whaley asks him for advice.

As long as Russ is here, a marketable product will be valued over a quality one. As long as Russ is here, there is no guarantee that he isn't interfering on football issues. That's why he needs to go.

- - - Updated - - -

That's just ridiculous.

I didn't say we don't know what he does. What I said was that we don't know how much influence he had over specific decisions. You complain that people aren't answering your question, then as soon as someone does, you spin their words.

Yes, technically he does not have "football related" tasks. But you don't know if he has Pegula's ear on football issues (Rex is much more marketable than any of the other coaches available at the time). You don't know if he pressures Whaley on football issues. Hell, you don't know if Whaley asks him for advice.

As long as Russ is here, a marketable product will be valued over a quality one. As long as Russ is here, there is no guarantee that he isn't interfering on football issues. That's why he needs to go.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

joe fo sho is russ fo sho. one guy defending a leech.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
            Making Spirits Bright
            • Mar 2006

I must have missed the part where you answered my question.

You don't know either, yet you want him fired. Sounds irrational.

As long as Russ is here, a marketable product will be valued over a quality one.
            Are you saying a winning organization isn't marketable?

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
              Making Spirits Bright
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
              joe fo sho is russ fo sho. one guy defending a leech.
              Eh, I just don't like getting my pitchfork out when I'm not certain there's a need for it.

But whatever, if that's what you want to do. Go ahead and start your GoFundMe page for the billboard.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Eh, I just don't like getting my pitchfork out when I'm not certain there's a need for it.

But whatever, if that's what you want to do. Go ahead and start your GoFundMe page for the billboard.
                Well you can keep doing the same thing while expecting different results. That usually works well.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                  Making Spirits Bright
                  • Mar 2006

Well you can keep doing the same thing while expecting different results. That usually works well.
                  Is Russ' job the same with Pegula as it was with Ralph? If not, then it's not really doing the same thing is it? That's my point, I already said that I'd want Russ gone if he was in the same role he was in under Ralph.

Russ isn't coming up with terrible game plans. He isn't drafting injured players. He isn't trading future draft picks for flashy receivers. He isn't forcing players into 10 personal foul penalties every game. He isn't refusing to throw to wide open receivers.

He's making deals with New Era for naming rights for the stadium. He's making deals with business for advertising in the stadium. He's determining prices of season tickets. He's doing all of the behind the scenes crap that I don't care about, and he's actually good at it from what I gather.

But go ahead and act like firing him will solve all of our problems.

Comment

• coastal
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Mar 2005

Like I said... oh never mind.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Is Russ' job the same with Pegula as it was with Ralph? If not, then it's not really doing the same thing is it? That's my point, I already said that I'd want Russ gone if he was in the same role he was in under Ralph.

Russ isn't coming up with terrible game plans. He isn't drafting injured players. He isn't trading future draft picks for flashy receivers. He isn't forcing players into 10 personal foul penalties every game. He isn't refusing to throw to wide open receivers.

He's making deals with New Era for naming rights for the stadium. He's making deals with business for advertising in the stadium. He's determining prices of season tickets. He's doing all of the behind the scenes crap that I don't care about, and he's actually good at it from what I gather.

But go ahead and act like firing him will solve all of our problems.
                      You think he's the only one who can set ticket prices and sell naming rights? Please.

He's the one constant over the last decade of suckage. We know he's bad at football. As long as he's here, we have no idea if he does or doesn't influence football decisions. And he's the one who created the culture where a marketable move trumps a winning move, which is the most damning thing of all.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Oh and there is no single move that will solve all this team's problems. That's not a reason to not make the move.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• cookie G
                          • Mar 2003

I'd be all for getting rid of Russ if he were still in the position he was in over the last bunch of years when Ralph was owner. That's not the case anymore, at least I believe Pegula when he says that. A lot of people don't, which is fine, but can you answer my question?
                          He wouldn't be interviewing potential coaches if he no longer had that power. He wouldn't be one of the 2 advisors to the team owners in the coaching decision..if he didn't have that power.

You want to pretend it isn't true, but anyone looking at it, objectively and honestly would say he wields at least influential power, if not direct power, in head coaching decisions.

People want to close their eyes to the power he used in getting Rex here...that's fine..its not very honest, and intentionally ignorant..but that's for them.

Which decision did Russ make that has caused us to miss the playoffs since Pegula was hired and moved him to the non-football aspect of the team?
                          The decision to hire Rex definitely kept them out of the playoffs last season and most likely this season.

And set this team back several years. In most cases, that's enough. Except Buffalo. Tom Donahoe got 5 years. Many other GMs get less if they don't have a play off team.

But the question really isn't...why should he be fired, the question is..why should he be retained?

He became defacto GM in 2008, when Marv went into retirement.
                          In 2010, after acting as defacto GM for 2 years, he was promoted to a supervisory position OVER the GM, the GM HE selected.
                          In 2013, while acting as president, he was ACTIVELY involved in teh selection of the new coach...and after an astounding 4 interviews were conducted...he hired his buddy from Syracuse.
                          In 2015, he was again an active part of the new coaching decision..with similar results.

So.. after forgetting this nonsense that he's "not participating in football decisions"...

it comes down to this..

He has been in a position of power of GM or higher for a period of 9 years. And in those 9 years, what has he done to make this a better football team?

Whether through personnel moves, GM hires, coaching hires or anything else he has authority to do..and has exercised...what has he done to improve this football team?

The period of asking what has he done wrong is long passed. His grace period was over years ago.

The question is...what has he done right?

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

Just to point out, Brandon's team title is "Managing Partner and President", his Sabres and Americans title is "President".
                            Last edited by Mace; 09-23-2016, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                              Just to point out, Brandon's team title is "Managing Partner and President", his Sabres and Americans title is "President".
                              The only way it works is if Brandon has no control over sports operations AND isn't the direct supervisor of anyone who does have direct control. Those titles certainly don't convince me that my last statement is how things really are.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mace
                                Haha...yeah you think so ?
                                • Mar 2013

The only way it works is if Brandon has no control over sports operations AND isn't the direct supervisor of anyone who does have direct control. Those titles certainly don't convince me that my last statement is how things really are.
                                Managing partner says a lot about influence. I've said enough about it in my previous posts in the thread. You can't be "managing" partner and have no control or influence because you're busy saying "ok"to Tim Murray or dabbling in concession contracts.

Comment

Working...
                                X