• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Why Russ Brandon needs to go.

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    Good football players have marketable names. Your not really breaking any new ground.

I was OK with the trade for McCoy, but was in the same boat as you as I was against his extension. Good football teams have been known to pay for running backs, though. It's not completely unheard of.

Denver signed Peyton Manning, he was one of the biggest names in football. Was that a marketing decision? You probably would say it was if Peyton never recovered from his neck injury. That's the risk you take with any player you sign/trade for. If a player underperforms, it doesn't mean the intention of signing him was not valid.

I think you're just taking decisions that turned out to be bad football decisions and spinning them to be made solely for marketing purposes.
    If Tyrod wasn't garbage maybe we'd be able to make use of Clay/McCoy/Player X.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, that's what Ralph did.
    This is what you're missing: The decisions that they made were ones that were easy to market, so whether or not they work on the field becomes secondary. They're still gonna make money off of it.

Of course, neither of us know exactly what their internal thought process is. For me, I have a hard time believing that giving up assets and taking a big cap hit for an RB is the best football decision. I have a hard time believing that hosing the 2016 cap to sign Clay in 2015 is the best football decision.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
      Making Spirits Bright
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
      This is what you're missing: The decisions that they made were ones that were easy to market, so whether or not they work on the field becomes secondary. They're still gonna make money off of it.

Of course, neither of us know exactly what their internal thought process is. For me, I have a hard time believing that giving up assets and taking a big cap hit for an RB is the best football decision. I have a hard time believing that hosing the 2016 cap to sign Clay in 2015 is the best football decision.
      We probably shouldn't sign anybody then, as having a full 53-man roster could be miscontrued as a marketing decision. Maybe we can trade all of our 1st round draft picks away, as those are probably the highest selling jerseys we have each year. Let all of our talented players walk without signing them, as that might increase revenue. It's the only way to make sure the moves we make are not marketing based.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

We probably shouldn't sign anybody then, as having a full 53-man roster could be miscontrued as a marketing decision. Maybe we can trade all of our 1st round draft picks away, as those are probably the highest selling jerseys we have each year. Let all of our talented players walk without signing them, as that might increase revenue. It's the only way to make sure the moves we make are not marketing based.
        Well ok- ignore the specific examples that I brought up and use generalized hyperbole instead.

The three biggest moves since Pegula took over were Rex, McCoy and hosing the 2016 cap to sign Clay in 2015. All three are questionable from a football perspective (and I don't just mean in hindsight- there was reason to be concerned at the time they were made). All three moves are easily marketable. Once again, we don't know the inner workings of the team and this is no smoking gun, but it's one hell of a coincidence.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
          Making Spirits Bright
          • Mar 2006

Well ok- ignore the specific examples that I brought up and use generalized hyperbole instead.

The three biggest moves since Pegula took over were Rex, McCoy and hosing the 2016 cap to sign Clay in 2015. All three are questionable from a football perspective (and I don't just mean in hindsight- there was reason to be concerned at the time they were made). All three moves are easily marketable. Once again, we don't know the inner workings of the team and this is no smoking gun, but it's one hell of a coincidence.
          You could argue that they are easily football based decisions as well.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

You could argue that they are easily football based decisions as well.
            They're 3 for 3 on marketing decisions and 0 for 3 on football ones.

And again, I don't see how giving up resources and taking a big cap hit for the position that has the shortest shelf life and is the easiest to replace constitutes being "football based." I don't see how hiring a coach who creates off the field controversy and had performance that regressed for 3 consecutive years is "football based." I don't see how hosing the 2016 cap to make big moves in 2015 is a "football based" decision.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
              Making Spirits Bright
              • Mar 2006

They're 3 for 3 on marketing decisions and 0 for 3 on football ones.
              Bad football teams make bad football decisions.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Bad football teams make bad football decisions.

Bad but marketable football decisions. Which is why Russ Brandon gets promoted instead of being held accountable for football decisions that you admitted were bad.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                  Making Spirits Bright
                  • Mar 2006

Bad but marketable football decisions. Which is why Russ Brandon gets promoted instead of being held accountable for football decisions that you admitted were bad.
                  So Russ is the one responsible for signing Rex, Clay, and trading for McCoy?

What are we paying Whaley for?

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

So Russ is the one responsible for signing Rex, Clay, and trading for McCoy?

What are we paying Whaley for?
                    Who do you think hired Whaley? And if Whaley made those decisions, why isn't he being held accountable for them? The only possible reason is because they made the team money even though they didn't lead to wins.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                      Making Spirits Bright
                      • Mar 2006

Who do you think hired Whaley? And if Whaley made those decisions, why isn't he being held accountable for them? The only possible reason is because they made the team money even though they didn't lead to wins.
                      You think Whaley should be fired for the McCoy trade and Clay signing? I don't even think those decisions crack his top 5 bad decisions.

But seriously, you don't think Whaley is on the hot seat right now? You can't just fire the guy immediately after he makes the decision you want to fire him for. You have to let it play out and blow up in his face first. This is probably coming in the near future.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

You think Whaley should be fired for the McCoy trade and Clay signing? I don't even think those decisions crack his top 5 bad decisions.

But seriously, you don't think Whaley is on the hot seat right now? You can't just fire the guy immediately after he makes the decision you want to fire him for. You have to let it play out and blow up in his face first. This is probably coming in the near future.
                        Well, if those decisions aren't even in his top 5 bad decisions, why hasn't he been fired already? He's had plenty of time for things to blow up in his face.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                          Making Spirits Bright
                          • Mar 2006

Well, if those decisions aren't even in his top 5 bad decisions, why hasn't he been fired already? He's had plenty of time for things to blow up in his face.
                          Firing your GM must be bad for marketing.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Firing your GM must be bad for marketing.
                            Or, maybe his decisions are marketable so lack of football results and making 5 decisions worse than trading for McCoy and hosing the 2016 cap are irrelevant in an organizational culture that values the bottom line over football victories.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                              Making Spirits Bright
                              • Mar 2006

Or, maybe his decisions are marketable so lack of football results and making 5 decisions worse than trading for McCoy and hosing the 2016 cap are irrelevant in an organizational culture that values the bottom line over football victories.
                              Or maybe he's made some good decisions, too. Ever think about stuff like that? Good stuff that people do? Maybe Pegula doesn't just harp on every bad decision he's ever made like some of us fans do and is able to see the big picture. A picture that had us at 8-8 at the end of last year with the expectations of playoffs this year. Since we haven't been mathematically eliminated yet, he's still got a job. Maybe that changes in the near future.

Well, either that or Russ Brandon is constantly running his hands through Terry's hair and telling him everything is going to be alright.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                                Making Spirits Bright
                                • Mar 2006

Just out of curiousity, where does the signing of Richie Incognito fall into your list of marketing/football decisions?

Was there a less marketable person on the face of the planet, besides Ray Rice, when we signed that guy?

Comment

Working...
                                X