• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Why Russ Brandon needs to go.

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    Or maybe he's made some good decisions, too. Ever think about stuff like that? Good stuff that people do? Maybe Pegula doesn't just harp on every bad decision he's ever made like some of us fans do and is able to see the big picture. A picture that had us at 8-8 at the end of last year with the expectations of playoffs this year. Since we haven't been mathematically eliminated yet, he's still got a job. Maybe that changes in the near future.

Well, either that or Russ Brandon is constantly running his hands through Terry's hair and telling him everything is going to be alright.
    Good decisions that don't result in wins aren't really that good.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
      Making Spirits Bright
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
      Good decisions that don't result in wins aren't really that good.
      Good decisions mixed with bad decisions result in a mediocre team. We've been mediocre for years.

Just out of curiousity, where does the signing of Richie Incognito fall into your list of marketing/football decisions?

Was there a less marketable person on the face of the planet, besides Ray Rice, when we signed that guy?

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Just out of curiousity, where does the signing of Richie Incognito fall into your list of marketing/football decisions?

Was there a less marketable person on the face of the planet, besides Ray Rice, when we signed that guy?
        That would have been one football decision overshadowed by 3 high-profile marketing decisions. It was also a decision made out of desperation because we needed OL help and there wasn't much available.

Also, remember I said "Marketing decisions are valued over football ones." That doesn't automatically mean that no football decisions will ever be made, although you keep trying to steer the conversation that way because it's the only way your narrative works.
        Last edited by OpIv37; 09-25-2016, 09:51 PM.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
          • Jun 2024

I hate Russ

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
            Making Spirits Bright
            • Mar 2006

That would have been one football decision overshadowed by 3 high-profile marketing decisions. It was also a decision made out of desperation because we needed OL help and there wasn't much available.
            It's the 1st high profile coach we've signed since I can remember. Marrone, Gailey, Williams, Jauron, etc.

Was Russ in charge of those coaching hires? Why did he hire such boring names?

Also, remember I said "Marketing decisions are valued over football ones." That doesn't automatically mean that no football decisions will ever be made, although you keep trying to steer the conversation that way because it's the only way your narrative works.
            It's easy to claim that a football decision that didn't work out was based on something other than football.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

It's the 1st high profile coach we've signed since I can remember. Marrone, Gailey, Williams, Jauron, etc.

Was Russ in charge of those coaching hires? Why did he hire such boring names?

It's easy to claim that a football decision that didn't work out was based on something other than football.
              The boring names were hired under Ralph. He protected the bottom line by spending as little as possible. Red was hired under Pegula. He protects the bottom line by investing in marketable assets. Either way, it's still a Russ Brandon culture of valuing the bottom line over winning.

And it's not "a football decision that didn't work out." the 3 biggest decisions made in the last two years all turned out to be much better for marketing than for football. You are refusing to see that this is a pattern.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                Making Spirits Bright
                • Mar 2006

The boring names were hired under Ralph. He protected the bottom line by spending as little as possible. Red was hired under Pegula. He protects the bottom line by investing in marketable assets. Either way, it's still a Russ Brandon culture of valuing the bottom line over winning.
                So you can protect the bottom line by hiring undesirable coaches...or very desirable coaches. Is there anyone we could have hired that would not have protected the bottom line?

Even if we hired a great coach, we would have protected the bottom line by winning and getting to the playoffs. Who do you hire that ruins the bottom line?

And it's not "a football decision that didn't work out." the 3 biggest decisions made in the last two years all turned out to be much better for marketing than for football. You are refusing to see that this is a pattern.
                What I'm refusing to do is lump the last 2 years under Pegula to the last 20 years under Ralph.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

So you can protect the bottom line by hiring undesirable coaches...or very desirable coaches. Is there anyone we could have hired that would not have protected the bottom line?

Even if we hired a great coach, we would have protected the bottom line by winning and getting to the playoffs. Who do you hire that ruins the bottom line?

What I'm refusing to do is lump the last 2 years under Pegula to the last 20 years under Ralph.
                  If we had hired a great coach, we wouldn't be having this discussion because the team would be winning and would have a healthy bottom line. But we don't. We either hire no name coaches to save money or marketable coaches to make money. Either way, the bottom line is healthy while the team still sucks.

You shouldn't lump the last two years under Pegula to the previous 20 Ralph. You should lump the last 2 years under Brandon with the previous 8 years under Brandon because it's the same ****. Garbage on the field but no one is held accountable because the bottom line is healthy. The only thing that changed when Pegula took over was the method of keeping the bottom line healthy.

And for that matter, I don't know why you're even bringing up the previous 20 years when I've been talking about 3
                  Decisions made AFTER Pegula. You sure deflect a lot.
                  Last edited by OpIv37; 09-26-2016, 12:25 PM.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                    Making Spirits Bright
                    • Mar 2006

If we had hired a great coach, we wouldn't be having this discussion because the team would be winning and would have a healthy bottom line. But we don't. We either hire no name coaches to save money or marketable coaches to make money. Either way, the bottom line is healthy while the team still sucks.
                    Pegula has hired 1 coach, that's not a pattern. The Bills have hired 1 marketable coach in the last decade, that's not a pattern.

I'll ask it again, what hire would have ruined the bottom line?

And for that matter, I don't know why you're even bringing up the previous 20 years when I've been talking about 3
                    Decisions made AFTER Pegula. You sure deflect a lot.
                    If you just talk about the last 2 years, how many moves have been marketing based versus football based? Here are some moves we made.

Rex hired
                    LeSean trade/extension
                    Clay signing
                    Tyrod extension
                    Dareus extension
                    Incognito signing/extension
                    Glenn extension
                    Whaley extension
                    Roman firing
                    Hughes extension
                    Franchised Gilmore
                    Cut Karlos Williams
                    Signed Reggie Bush
                    Terminated the contract of Jim Schwartz
                    Kyle Williams extension
                    Signed Percy Harvin
                    Released Mario Williams
                    Released Fred Jackson

These are only a small fraction of our transactions, but I think these are probably the biggest, in no particular order. I probably missed some, too.

Where's the pattern?

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

The 3 biggest moves were all bad football moves but good marketing moves. I don't know why you are refusing to acknowledge that pattern.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                        Making Spirits Bright
                        • Mar 2006

The 3 biggest moves were all bad football moves but good marketing moves. I don't know why you are refusing to acknowledge that pattern.
                        I refuse to acknowledge that it proves anything, because it doesn't.

I also wouldn't say those are the biggest moves we've made. Rex is definitely, but the other 2...eh. Extending Dareus, Hughes, Glenn, releasing Mario, franchising Gilmore, terminating Jim Schwartz...I think those are bigger than signing Clay and probably bigger than McCoy too.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Well you can refuse to acknowledge it all you want, but Russ Brandon has created an organizational culture where the bottom line is valued over football success. This team has not won in the 10 years he's been in an executive position and they won't win until he's gone.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• coastal
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Mar 2005

He can die

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                              Making Spirits Bright
                              • Mar 2006

Well you can refuse to acknowledge it all you want, but Russ Brandon has created an organizational culture where the bottom line is valued over football success. This team has not won in the 10 years he's been in an executive position and they won't win until he's gone.
                              They won't win what? The Superbowl or a playoff game?

Comment

• OpIv37
                                Acid Douching Asswipe
                                • Sep 2002

They won't win what? The Superbowl or a playoff game?
                                They definitely won't win the SB. I highly doubt they will even win enough games to make the playoffs. But as long as that bottom line is healthy....
                                MiKiDo Facebook
                                MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                                X