Patriots QB Jacoby Brissett out QB Edelman to Possibly Face Bills.....Really!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ckg927
    Not quite Best in the World....
    • Aug 2012

Re: Patriots QB Jacoby Brissett out QB Edelman to Possibly Face Bills.....Really!?!

Originally posted by k-oneputt View Post
    I can't stand Belichick, but he is the best coach in NFL history imo.
    Better than Shula? Or Halas? Or Lombardi?
    Last edited by ckg927; 09-24-2016, 02:27 PM.
    John Hemingway(facing certain death): I want to see Buffalo win the Super Bowl.
    David Coltrane(threatening John): Nobody's going to live that long, pal.

-The John Larroquette Show, "A Dark and Stormy Night", 4/12/94

Comment

• Mr. Pink
      Peterman Sucks!
      • Mar 2006

Re: Patriots QB Jacoby Brissett out QB Edelman to Possibly Face Bills.....Really!?!

Originally posted by ckg927 View Post
      Better than Shula? Or Halas? Or Lombardi?
      Paul Brown?

Comment

• Oaf
        Do you read what you write?
        • Jun 2007

When Troy Brown played "emergency DB", he made us pay embarrassingly. Wouldn't be shocked to see it happen again here.

Comment

• Gibby
          • Jun 2006

I can't stand Belichick, but he is the best coach in NFL history imo.
          I have to disagree. To be sure, he is the greatest coach in the league today, and he is one the best coaches in NFL History, but he is not the best. I have to place Halas, Shula, Landry, Lombardi, Noll, Gibbs, and Walsh ahead of him. Let me explain.

Halas and Shula have the most wins ever. The retort to their win totals and even for Landry who is third is that "they were around forever, anyone can win a lot of games if they stay around long enough." This is true, but as Hank Stram who I almost put in this list observed this is the NFL, which means not for long. As another coach once quipped, in the NFL there are two types of coaches, those who have been fired and those who will be fired. Halas and Shula got to stay around for 300+ wins because both had mostly sustained excellence. Shula and Halas have another thing in common, their teams have been nowhere near as good after them as they were when they roamed the sidelines. Halas retired in 1966 after winning 8 NFL championships, the Bears have won one title and only been to another superbowl in the past fifty years. I know there was the Ditka era, but generally speaking the Bears have not been the same since Halas retired in 1966. The same is true of the Dolphins. Shula kept them as a power every year. However, since 1996 they have been at best also rans.

I also have to put Tom Landry ahead of Belichick as he has the third most wins in league history and lets not forget that his Cowboys went to twenty straight playoff appearances and an ungodly amount of league championship games and Superbowls. Plus he won with three different QBs, Don Meredith, Roger Staubach, and Danny White, and two versions of the Doomsday Defense. His team, and not Jimmy Johnson's druggies, are why the Cowboys earned the title America's team.

Then there is Lombardi. The only coach to win three straight league titles, and the coach of the greatest team of the 1960s.

There is Chuck Noll as well. In the annals of the history of the Pittsburgh Steelers there are two eras, before Noll, and the Noll era. Prior to Noll the Steelers were a laughing stock for decades. Since 1972 the Steelers have been in contention for a title almost every year.

Then there is Joe Gibbs. Gibbs won several superbowls and he did it with mostly castoffs, over the hill players, and scrubs. Other than Theismann his QBs were mediocre and he won anyways.

Lastly, but not least there is Bill Walsh, who turned San Fran into a Dynasty that lasted two decades.

Now again, Bellichick is certainly undisputably the greatest coach today, and one of the best coaches ever, but I think its a bit pretentious to say he is the best coach ever.

Comment

• k-oneputt
            • Jun 2009

in your opinion.

Comment

• Gibby
              • Jun 2006

in your opinion.
              In fact, actually. Plus, they did their wins without the taint of possible cheating. Also, how in depth is your knowledge of NFL history?

Comment

• BOBM253
                elite QB
                • Aug 2010

Totally agree. He's deadly consistent and done more with less than any other coach, imo

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                  Making Spirits Bright
                  • Mar 2006

Belichick has to average 10 wins per season for the next 11 years to over take Shula. Shula also has a better winning percentage as it stands today.

Comment

• jimmifli
                    • Nov 2006

The NFL today has such a different level of competition than in the past. Doing what they've done in the salary cap era is really mind boggling.

He's just so good.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by MST3KBillsfan View Post
                      In fact, actually. Plus, they did their wins without the taint of possible cheating. Also, how in depth is your knowledge of NFL history?
                      Oh that's a fact ? Ok.
                      I've watched a few games. How is your "depth" of knowledge of the NFL history ?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                        Peterman Sucks!
                        • Mar 2006

Most people discount anything in NFL history that is over 20 years old, unfortunately.

I saw you bring up Gibbs, I would say he isn't even the best coach the Redskins ever had. I'd put George Allen ahead of him.

Comment

• OLDSRIP
                          • Dec 2008

I have to disagree. To be sure, he is the greatest coach in the league today, and he is one the best coaches in NFL History, but he is not the best. I have to place Halas, Shula, Landry, Lombardi, Noll, Gibbs, and Walsh ahead of him. Let me explain.

Halas and Shula have the most wins ever. The retort to their win totals and even for Landry who is third is that "they were around forever, anyone can win a lot of games if they stay around long enough." This is true, but as Hank Stram who I almost put in this list observed this is the NFL, which means not for long. As another coach once quipped, in the NFL there are two types of coaches, those who have been fired and those who will be fired. Halas and Shula got to stay around for 300+ wins because both had mostly sustained excellence. Shula and Halas have another thing in common, their teams have been nowhere near as good after them as they were when they roamed the sidelines. Halas retired in 1966 after winning 8 NFL championships, the Bears have won one title and only been to another superbowl in the past fifty years. I know there was the Ditka era, but generally speaking the Bears have not been the same since Halas retired in 1966. The same is true of the Dolphins. Shula kept them as a power every year. However, since 1996 they have been at best also rans.

I also have to put Tom Landry ahead of Belichick as he has the third most wins in league history and lets not forget that his Cowboys went to twenty straight playoff appearances and an ungodly amount of league championship games and Superbowls. Plus he won with three different QBs, Don Meredith, Roger Staubach, and Danny White, and two versions of the Doomsday Defense. His team, and not Jimmy Johnson's druggies, are why the Cowboys earned the title America's team.

Then there is Lombardi. The only coach to win three straight league titles, and the coach of the greatest team of the 1960s.

There is Chuck Noll as well. In the annals of the history of the Pittsburgh Steelers there are two eras, before Noll, and the Noll era. Prior to Noll the Steelers were a laughing stock for decades. Since 1972 the Steelers have been in contention for a title almost every year.

Then there is Joe Gibbs. Gibbs won several superbowls and he did it with mostly castoffs, over the hill players, and scrubs. Other than Theismann his QBs were mediocre and he won anyways.

Lastly, but not least there is Bill Walsh, who turned San Fran into a Dynasty that lasted two decades.

Now again, Bellichick is certainly undisputably the greatest coach today, and one of the best coaches ever, but I think its a bit pretentious to say he is the best coach ever.

You must have forgotten about Kay Stephenson.

Comment

• Gibby
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by OLDSRIP View Post
                            You must have forgotten about Kay Stephenson.
                            Surely you can't be serious.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                              Belichick has to average 10 wins per season for the next 11 years to over take Shula. Shula also has a better winning percentage as it stands today.

Lest we forget - John Madden.

Coaching record: 103-32-7.
                              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Arm of Harm
                                • Dec 2015

I'd like to expand on what MST3K wrote about Bill Walsh.

In the days before Walsh, teams normally wanted a strong-armed QB to go with the good running game they wanted. If the opponent put 8 men in the box you burned them deep. If they only put 7 in the box you ran the ball. Terry Bradshaw was an example of a guy who did well in that kind of offense.

Joe Montana fell to the third round, largely due to the fact he didn't have the arm strength felt necessary to excel in an offense like that. But Bill Walsh created an entirely new kind of offense. The West Coast offense. Today, a very large number of teams run, or claim to run, a West Coast offense. It's difficult to overemphasize the impact this new offense has had on the NFL.

But I have to give credit where credit is due. When Lawrence Taylor was drafted first overall, his defensive coordinator (Bill Parcells) and his linebackers coach (Bill Belichick) created a new defense just for him: the 3-4 defense. That defense had also had a very significant impact on the league. No question.

But of the two, I would argue that the West Coast offense has been more impactful. One of the reasons for that is that even if a team is technically a 3-4 defense, odds are they'll spend plenty of time in the nickel. So a 3-4 defense is only a "some of the time" thing, even for the teams which adopt it. Whereas, a West Coast offense team will run that offense almost all the time! Also, a 3-4 is a defensive formation, whereas the West Coast offense is an entire offensive philosophy.

Of course, none of this directly answers the question as to which of the two was the better coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X