Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Patriots QB Jacoby Brissett out QB Edelman to Possibly Face Bills.....Really!?!

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Patriots QB Jacoby Brissett out QB Edelman to Possibly Face Bills.....Really!?!

Quote Originally Posted by k-oneputt View Post
    in your opinion.
    In fact, actually. Plus, they did their wins without the taint of possible cheating. Also, how in depth is your knowledge of NFL history?

elite QB
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Patriots QB Jacoby Brissett out QB Edelman to Possibly Face Bills.....Really!?!

Totally agree. He's deadly consistent and done more with less than any other coach, imo

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Belichick has to average 10 wins per season for the next 11 years to over take Shula. Shula also has a better winning percentage as it stands today.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The NFL today has such a different level of competition than in the past. Doing what they've done in the salary cap era is really mind boggling.

He's just so good.

5. Post thanked by:

upstart (09-28-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MST3KBillsfan View Post
    In fact, actually. Plus, they did their wins without the taint of possible cheating. Also, how in depth is your knowledge of NFL history?
    Oh that's a fact ? Ok.
    I've watched a few games. How is your "depth" of knowledge of the NFL history ?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Most people discount anything in NFL history that is over 20 years old, unfortunately.

I saw you bring up Gibbs, I would say he isn't even the best coach the Redskins ever had. I'd put George Allen ahead of him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have to disagree. To be sure, he is the greatest coach in the league today, and he is one the best coaches in NFL History, but he is not the best. I have to place Halas, Shula, Landry, Lombardi, Noll, Gibbs, and Walsh ahead of him. Let me explain.

Halas and Shula have the most wins ever. The retort to their win totals and even for Landry who is third is that "they were around forever, anyone can win a lot of games if they stay around long enough." This is true, but as Hank Stram who I almost put in this list observed this is the NFL, which means not for long. As another coach once quipped, in the NFL there are two types of coaches, those who have been fired and those who will be fired. Halas and Shula got to stay around for 300+ wins because both had mostly sustained excellence. Shula and Halas have another thing in common, their teams have been nowhere near as good after them as they were when they roamed the sidelines. Halas retired in 1966 after winning 8 NFL championships, the Bears have won one title and only been to another superbowl in the past fifty years. I know there was the Ditka era, but generally speaking the Bears have not been the same since Halas retired in 1966. The same is true of the Dolphins. Shula kept them as a power every year. However, since 1996 they have been at best also rans.

I also have to put Tom Landry ahead of Belichick as he has the third most wins in league history and lets not forget that his Cowboys went to twenty straight playoff appearances and an ungodly amount of league championship games and Superbowls. Plus he won with three different QBs, Don Meredith, Roger Staubach, and Danny White, and two versions of the Doomsday Defense. His team, and not Jimmy Johnson's druggies, are why the Cowboys earned the title America's team.

Then there is Lombardi. The only coach to win three straight league titles, and the coach of the greatest team of the 1960s.

There is Chuck Noll as well. In the annals of the history of the Pittsburgh Steelers there are two eras, before Noll, and the Noll era. Prior to Noll the Steelers were a laughing stock for decades. Since 1972 the Steelers have been in contention for a title almost every year.

Then there is Joe Gibbs. Gibbs won several superbowls and he did it with mostly castoffs, over the hill players, and scrubs. Other than Theismann his QBs were mediocre and he won anyways.

Lastly, but not least there is Bill Walsh, who turned San Fran into a Dynasty that lasted two decades.

Now again, Bellichick is certainly undisputably the greatest coach today, and one of the best coaches ever, but I think its a bit pretentious to say he is the best coach ever.

You must have forgotten about Kay Stephenson.

9. Post thanked by:

Historian (09-29-2016)

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OLDSRIP View Post
    You must have forgotten about Kay Stephenson.
    Surely you can't be serious.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    Belichick has to average 10 wins per season for the next 11 years to over take Shula. Shula also has a better winning percentage as it stands today.

Lest we forget - John Madden.

Coaching record: 103-32-7.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'd like to expand on what MST3K wrote about Bill Walsh.

In the days before Walsh, teams normally wanted a strong-armed QB to go with the good running game they wanted. If the opponent put 8 men in the box you burned them deep. If they only put 7 in the box you ran the ball. Terry Bradshaw was an example of a guy who did well in that kind of offense.

Joe Montana fell to the third round, largely due to the fact he didn't have the arm strength felt necessary to excel in an offense like that. But Bill Walsh created an entirely new kind of offense. The West Coast offense. Today, a very large number of teams run, or claim to run, a West Coast offense. It's difficult to overemphasize the impact this new offense has had on the NFL.

But I have to give credit where credit is due. When Lawrence Taylor was drafted first overall, his defensive coordinator (Bill Parcells) and his linebackers coach (Bill Belichick) created a new defense just for him: the 3-4 defense. That defense had also had a very significant impact on the league. No question.

But of the two, I would argue that the West Coast offense has been more impactful. One of the reasons for that is that even if a team is technically a 3-4 defense, odds are they'll spend plenty of time in the nickel. So a 3-4 defense is only a "some of the time" thing, even for the teams which adopt it. Whereas, a West Coast offense team will run that offense almost all the time! Also, a 3-4 is a defensive formation, whereas the West Coast offense is an entire offensive philosophy.

Of course, none of this directly answers the question as to which of the two was the better coach.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Arm of Harm View Post
    I'd like to expand on what MST3K wrote about Bill Walsh.
    With the many rule changes through the years favoring the pass game and dis-favoring (that's a made-up word) the defense, any strict definition of the WCO has fallen by the wayside.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Arm of Harm View Post

When Lawrence Taylor was drafted first overall,
    Taylor was drafted 2nd overall.. The Saints took RB George Rogers 1st overall in 1981

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Maybe George Rogers should have done blow.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Nah, If I was serious. I would have said Hank Bullough.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

fixed

18. Post thanked by:

feldspar (09-28-2016),OpIv37 (09-28-2016),WagonCircler (09-29-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Saw that coming a mile away, bdutton.

20. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (09-29-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Saw that coming a mile away, bdutton.
    All I see is a empty box. What does that mean?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Nah, If I was serious. I would have said Hank Bullough.
    Ah, but he had an extremely underrated gift for words, who will ever forget, they really took the sail out of our winds.

23. Post thanked by:

OLDSRIP (10-01-2016)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ah, but he had an extremely underrated gift for words, who will ever forget, they really took the sail out of our winds.
    Gawd - he was hilarious on the radio after a game. You have a good memory!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,170 Times in 5,901 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Belichick and company are great at first round picks... Other teams first rounders. They spot a former first rounders not living up to potential in a bottom dwelling teams and they scarf
    them up for a 4th rounder or later.

Now a player comes to the Pats without the expectations of a first rounder and they fill holes. The Pats got 4 former first rounders this year alone.

That is how you build a team. Signing Revis-esque players is an oddity. They find the diamonds on other teams that were covered in "loser" dirt and give them a shot without the hype. Brilliant.

26. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (10-01-2016)