Thread: Besides the Win - Other positives

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Besides the Win - Other positives

The win is obviously good but there is more to take from the last 3 weeks.

We have a lot of players that are getting valuable playing time/experience which will help create great depth for the roster.

We've had the following players OUT:

Darby
    Dareus
    Glenn
    Henderson
    Lawson
    Ragland
    Watkins
    Salas
    Goodwin

All those guys play big roles on the team and the Bills have had to give other guys a chance to step up. Several players have made some solid contributions:

Bryant - Has been solid in run D
    Corey White - Nice INT yesterday
    Zach Brown - I've seen a lot of him, he gets around the field well and has been in on a lot of tackles
    Walt Powell - Nice catches yesterday and has proven he can make plays when the game counts
    Robert Woods - Had a solid day yesterday as our primary WR considering how few pass attempts we had
    Cyrus - Has been admirable filling in for Glenn - He should start asap at RT.
    Jordan Mills - Has been ok but Cyrus is a better player - Still he provides good depth
    Jerel Worthy - Will be interesting to have a a three man line of Worthy - Dareus - KW. All three can get in the backfield pretty quick

When the defense gets Dareus and Darby back in week five they should be a dominant group, at least on paper.

On offense having Glenn and Cyrus at the OT spots, Watkins, Woods, Salas, Powell and Clay as receiving targets and Shady (and hopefully Karlos re-signed in week 5) they offense should be ready to roll provided Taylor gives decent QB play and uses his legs more.

This team should be different by week 5 at the Rams.

SpikedLemonade

Re: Besides the Win - Other positives

Yeah, I am not buying in.

The Patriots will make us look like crap again on Sunday.

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post

As is tradition.

4. Post thanked by:

Mace (09-29-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post

Yeah maybe so, but comparing us to the Patriots at this time is useless, even without Brady. I still think we win Sunday though.

My only point is that this team for once actually has some depth. And when our starters come back we have the makings of a good team that is on paper better than most.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Goodwin played.

The team is NOT void of talent. But the schemes were not working at all, prior to yesterday.

The yearly contract means Taylor is still actually playing for his long term stay as our starter. That's OK by me but at least we're not on the hook.

Don't expect much in Foxboro. We'll see what happenes beyond that. I sure enjoyed myself at the game yesterday.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

the Arizona game was similar to the jets Thursday game. except, we had a few more plays. the offsense stayed on the field a little longer and the d made some early stops. otherwise, without the high snap, the bills offense did not control the game in the second half to seal off a win. that lack of finish can work against bad teams (not what the cards are) and at home. Do that on the road vs the pats, and they'll make you pay. that all being said, the bills win in Foxboro, they have an easy schedule where they can still play this brand of football and be in the hunt. I am not banking on it. I suspect they'll do what they've done for the last 17 years...and drop a turd in Foxboro and go 1-2 in three winnable games.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Completely forgot to mention Lorenzo Alexander....

He's been a big time player for us and this is a guy who wasn't brought here purely for depth and special teams.

Has 3 sacks and two FF and has been solid in run defense.

If Lawson comes back I doubt he'll be able to move LA out of the starting position too quick...

9. Post thanked by:

Thurmal (09-26-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,518 Times in 17,411 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't see KuJo moving back to the right side, IMO playing on his 'wrong' end was (apparently) a pretty big issue. Let him keep backing up Glenn when Cordy returns, and don't plug him in on the right unless it's absolutely unavoidable. He's going to HAVE to either get better on the right or learn to play guard also, eventually, or his lack of versatility is going to cost him his roster spot.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

11. Post thanked by:

ParanoidAndroid (09-26-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,082 Times in 3,566 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I don't see KuJo moving back to the right side, IMO playing on his 'wrong' end was (apparently) a pretty big issue. Let him keep backing up Glenn when Cordy returns, and don't plug him in on the right unless it's absolutely unavoidable. He's going to HAVE to either get better on the right or learn to play guard also, eventually, or his lack of versatility is going to cost him his roster spot.
    The Bills would be fools not to at least have Kujo practice at RT to see if he's just improved as a player. If he can't, you have your answer and he goes back to being the backup at LT.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    The Bills would be fools not to at least have Kujo practice at RT to see if he's just improved as a player. If he can't, you have your answer and he goes back to being the backup at LT.
    It's not as easy as some think, to switch line sides. Foot placement, hand motions, blocking angles, pulling and so on. Same with the idea that a slowing CB can become an effective Safety. I looked into that a while back.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

14. Post thanked by:

YardRat (09-29-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    It's not as easy as some think, to switch line sides. Foot placement, hand motions, blocking angles, pulling and so on. Same with the idea that a slowing CB can become an effective Safety. I looked into that a while back.
    Not a matter of being easy, but you can't say he won't play better at RT than he has without actually seeing him there again. When Glenn returns he'll be on the bench anyway, why not have him compete with Mills?

Thanks
    Thanked 30,518 Times in 17,411 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah, it wouldn't hurt to give him a little time over there again in practices...maybe even very short stints in games...I wouldn't expect different results, however.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Yeah, it wouldn't hurt to give him a little time over there again in practices...maybe even very short stints in games...I wouldn't expect different results, however.
    Won't know until they try. Remember this kid came into the league at 21.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 9,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Won't know until they try. Remember this kid came into the league at 21.
    Remember too they tried him at RT before swing tackle. He couldn't get past Mills or Henderson (when healthy). He'll go back to being swing tackle again.

His best calling atm, imho, might be backup left tackle though I certainly wouldn't disagree with seeing what he can do with Mills and Henderson your other best options.

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Remember too they tried him at RT before swing tackle. He couldn't get past Mills or Henderson (when healthy). He'll go back to being swing tackle again.

His best calling atm, imho, might be backup left tackle though I certainly wouldn't disagree with seeing what he can do with Mills and Henderson your other best options.

SpikedLemonade

Mace and his fellow slaves singing a beautiful song...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

One of the best positives this year is how Cyrus Kouandjio is finally starting to look like an NFL player. A pretty good one at that too. Glad they had the patience to develop him and not throw him away like some of the jerks on here wanted to do.