Thread: Bills had two new playcallers yesterday

Thanks
    Thanked 24,441 Times in 14,158 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bills had two new playcallers yesterday

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016...aaron-williams

When the Buffalo Bills took on the Arizona Cardinals yesterday, everyone knew that a new play-caller would be taking over on the offensive end. After the game, it was revealed that the same thing was true of the defensive side of the ball.

In his post game press conference, Coach Rex Ryan noted that Dennis Thurman was the man in charge of executing the plan on defense yesterday. He was sure to mention that it was a total team effort, noting that his brother Rob was responsible for the red zone coverages (Rob studied two years worth of Cardinals red zone plays, according to Rex via Matthew Fairburn). After a week where the Bills were torched for 37 points and 500 total yards, they were able to hold the potent Cardinals offense to 18 points and 348 yards, while also forcing 4 turnovers and sacking Carson Palmer 5 times.
    Didn't see this mentioned anywhere else and not sure it means much but still an interesting note.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

2. Post thanked by:

Buffalogic (09-26-2016),jimmifli (09-26-2016),Lone Stranger (09-26-2016)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills has two new playcallers yesterday

Dennis Thurman was the man in charge of executing the plan on defense...Rob studied two years worth of Cardinals red zone plays
    This is more of what I was expecting when we hired Rob. Work together to come up with a game plan, then have someone execute it while the others watched the game to watch for adjustments that they should make. Whatever they did on defense, it seemed to work yesterday.

The biggest thing I noticed from this past week was how the offense seemed to get the plays in significantly faster than under Roman. Our hurry up at the end of the half, although unsuccessful, at least looked like some semblance of a team in a hurry.

4. Post thanked by:

psubills62 (09-27-2016)

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,700 Times in 3,421 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills has two new playcallers yesterday

Explains a lot.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,518 Times in 17,411 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills had two new playcallers yesterday

I didn't see much difference in the offense, other than the couple of designed runs for Tyrod. The defense, I believe, played a lot more zone shells than before, but I had heard that was to counter the absence of Darby more than anything.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 24,441 Times in 14,158 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I didn't see much difference in the offense, other than the couple of designed runs for Tyrod. The defense, I believe, played a lot more zone shells than before, but I had heard that was to counter the absence of Darby more than anything.
    I didn't see the game but from what I gathered off Twitter there was a lot more of Tyrod getting outside the pocket, a number of routes over the middle, and a lot more of Shady being given the ball in quick running calls v. long developing plays. Like I said, I didn't watch it so I don't know how accurate that is but a number of Bills reporters made note of the offensive changes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They ran a lot less power and sweep, more inside zone and iso runs. Pass game wasn't much different from a concept standpoint, but we did run more 3 WR sets, even got into 5 wide.

Biggest difference on O, the plays got in on time, we broke the huddle with plenty of time left on the clock, didn't burn a single TO because the clock was running out. It's sad that this is progress, but Roman was dreadful with this. Also felt we ran a much more efficient two minute offense at the end of the first half, we just played quicker. Mind you, this isn't something to right home about, and it's a one game sample, but we got the plays in fast. Progress!

9. Post thanked by:

k-oneputt (09-26-2016),psubills62 (09-27-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Agreed on getting the plays in faster. I recall being embarrassed for our two-minute offense under Roman. There was never any urgency, we'd lose 30 seconds just getting to the LOS for another play, it was really ridiculous for a professional football offense. They looked better this time.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings