Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting fact: Bills have the most 5-star college recruits in the NFL.

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Interesting fact: Bills have the most 5-star college recruits in the NFL.

Doesn't mean much, but a good tidbit.

Buffalo Bills: OT Seantrel Henderson
    5 stars - National rank: 1 (2010

LeSean McCoy, Sammy Watkins, Tyrod Taylor, Stephon Gilmore, Reggie Ragland, Cyrus Kouandijo, Robert Woods, Ronald Darby, E.J. Manual, Nick O'Leary, Adolphus Washington and James Wilder Jr.

2. Post thanked by:

Joe Fo Sho (09-29-2016)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Interesting fact: Bills have the most 5-star college recruits in the NFL.

I'm fairly confident we could win a national championship.

4. Post thanked by:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

coastal (09-30-2016),G (09-29-2016),jamze132 (09-30-2016),kgun12 (09-29-2016),kishoph (10-01-2016),Mace (09-29-2016),Mad Bomber (10-02-2016),OpIv37 (09-29-2016),sahlensguy (09-30-2016),WagonCircler (09-29-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That's what this team is. A collection of dumb athletes that looks if it was assembled by a fantasy football GM. Zero nuance to Whaley's selections. No regard to how well they fit into a given system, how self-disciplined they are, how smart and able to comprehend and execute game plans. Just a boilerplate collection of blue chip recruits for which Whaley overpaid (in terms of draft choices AND dollars) at every turn.

This is GM malpractice.

6. Post thanked by:

coastal (09-30-2016),G (09-30-2016),Mace (09-29-2016),Thurmal (10-01-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

is that GM issue? if you give a coach the best talent possible, shouldn't he be able to work with that? to me, its more damning on rex.

Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!! Luisito23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 969 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thumbs down Re: Interesting fact: Bills have the most 5-star college recruits in the NFL.

Meh...Whaley sucks..
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    is that GM issue? if you give a coach the best talent possible, shouldn't he be able to work with that? to me, its more damning on rex.
    You and I have a different definition of talent.

Whaley gives coaches players with athletic skill. No brains, character or heart.

10. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (09-29-2016),Mace (09-29-2016),swiper (09-30-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    You and I have a different definition of talent.

Whaley gives coaches players with athletic skill. No brains, character or heart.

it truly cant be evaluated until we have a qb

Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!! Luisito23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 969 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Angry Re: Interesting fact: Bills have the most 5-star college recruits in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    it truly cant be evaluated until we have a qb
    Which is also Whaley's fault for not at least trying to fix that problem...but yeah, at least we have Taylor and EJ...

13. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (09-30-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

whaley has a built in bias against traditional pocket passers. he doesn’t care if you can hit the broad side of a barn so long as you can run the ball. it’s like whaley wants glorified rb’s behind center not qb's. i don’t understand it at all.

15. Post thanked by:

sahlensguy (09-30-2016),WagonCircler (09-30-2016),YardRat (09-29-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,614 Times in 17,481 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Too bad we've got a two-thumbs-down coaching staff.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

17. Post thanked by:

Jry44 (09-30-2016),kishoph (10-01-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,484 Times in 7,098 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Agreed. No one was complaining when we had a great D a couple of years ago. Last year that talent sucked under a different HC.

The pats are still winning without their top qb .

This is for the Tacklingdummies who think that its all about talent.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    That's what this team is. A collection of dumb athletes that looks if it was assembled by a fantasy football GM. Zero nuance to Whaley's selections. No regard to how well they fit into a given system, how self-disciplined they are, how smart and able to comprehend and execute game plans. Just a boilerplate collection of blue chip recruits for which Whaley overpaid (in terms of draft choices AND dollars) at every turn.

This is GM malpractice.
    I agree to a point. But good coordinators can make use of that talent.

Pettine did pretty well. And then Schwartz knocked it out of the park. Gailey got a lot done with less talent than we currently have. Even Roman (last season) managed to scheme to avoid the short comings (QB, inside running, middle of the field passing, etc).

I'd take talent over trying to fit a particular system. Especially given how poorly he's proven at choosing coaches.

But the rest... disciplined, smart players that understand a scheme and work as a team... yeah I'd like about 30 more of those guys please.

20. Post thanked by:

G (09-30-2016),Mace (09-29-2016),YardRat (09-29-2016)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,504 Times in 9,194 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

In theory yes, in practice no. I mean he knew what the staff intended, passing weapons for a rushing offense for example. Rex isn't flexible with talent, he's all about scheme, they HAVE to fit into his, he won't change it to adapt. That was a given when he was hired. He says he "tried" last year and it seems commonly accepted. No he didn't. People saw the same games I did.

The tricky part of GM'ing isn't getting supertalent, it's tailoring the best talent to the coach's philosophy if the coach isn't capable of flexibility. Feed him what he needs, not what is commonly wanted. That's how good teams remain successful with poor draft position, and that's why I'm no supporter of blind BPA in the draft.

22. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (09-29-2016),kishoph (10-01-2016)

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    In theory yes, in practice no. I mean he knew what the staff intended, passing weapons for a rushing offense for example. Rex isn't flexible with talent, he's all about scheme, they HAVE to fit into his, he won't change it to adapt. That was a given when he was hired. He says he "tried" last year and it seems commonly accepted. No he didn't. People saw the same games I did.

The tricky part of GM'ing isn't getting supertalent, it's tailoring the best talent to the coach's philosophy if the coach isn't capable of flexibility. Feed him what he needs, not what is commonly wanted. That's how good teams remain successful with poor draft position, and that's why I'm no supporter of blind BPA in the draft.

24. Post thanked by:

Mace (09-29-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The GM is there to acquire as many great players as he can.

He goes grocery shopping, and tries the get the finest ingredients. The coach has to cook it up.

26. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (09-30-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,205 Times in 5,929 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalogic View Post
    The GM is there to acquire as many great players as he can.

He goes grocery shopping, and tries the get the finest ingredients. The coach has to cook it up.
    He should do what NE does and scarf up former first rounders from crappy teams for 5th rounders... Wait. He can't scarf up his own first rounders.... Never mind.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

my comment isn't to defend whaley because he's left the most important position short. but his defense talent looks a lot better than the leon joe days with dick jauron. those teams had nobodies. it is nice to have the shiny new car. rex is responsible for getting it to go forward. ideally both aren't here and a real culture of winning is instilled into the bills. but if I had to pick one to leave, I'd pick rex over whaley.

29. Post thanked by:

Buffalogic (09-30-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post

Plus, if you were the GM when the coach was hired, it's on you.

I don't even care if Whaley was dead set against hiring Rex (which I doubt was the case). It's Whaley's fault for being such a weak, piss poor GM that the choice was taken out of his hands.

The fact is, Whaley is only still here because the Head Coach walked two years ago, causing the man lined up to help right the ship to also walk away, thanks to the lack of a HC and the lack of a real Quarterback (also Whaley's fault).

The entire situation is a dysfunctional, steaming pile.

31. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (10-02-2016),Mace (09-30-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

my comment isn't to defend whaley because he's left the most important position short. but his defense talent looks a lot better than the leon joe days with dick jauron. those teams had nobodies. it is nice to have the shiny new car. rex is responsible for getting it to go forward. ideally both aren't here and a real culture of winning is instilled into the bills. but if I had to pick one to leave, I'd pick rex over whaley.
    I agree with everything about this.

33. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,484 Times in 7,098 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

but if I had to pick one to leave, I'd pick rex over whaley.
    I'm not sure how high Whaley was when it came to hiring Rex . IF he wasn't high on Rex, he should be safe and I doubt the Pegulas blame him for their mistake.

35. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (10-02-2016)