• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe Fo Sho
    Making Spirits Bright
    • Mar 2006

Re: Sammy

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
    Yes, you should completely disregard his previous 8 years of statistics and focus on only those 3 games. Good plan. Not to mention how worthless and unknown the QBR statistic is.

Comment

• feldspar
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
      The guy is the biggest bust in franchise history
      The guy just recently turned 23, and he has more reception yardage than any other Bills receiver through his first two years. Dunno what else...all this with Kyle Orton, EJ Manuel, and Tyrod Taylor throwing him the ball...Tyrod, who can't seem to throw to the middle of the field too much so far.

Calling him a bust at all at this point IS moronic, let alone calling him the biggest bust in Bills history. If anyone were to eat a dick, it's not our good friend Mr. Mayagi. See what I'm sayin', Corn-pone?

Comment

• kingJofNYC
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
        Yes, you should completely disregard his previous 8 years of statistics and focus on only those 3 games. Good plan. Not to mention how worthless and unknown the QBR statistic is.
        Nah, you should just tell WagonCircler that Tyrod Taylor was ahead of Matt Ryan in QBR in 2015, and ranked 7th overall in QBR.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
          Making Spirits Bright
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
          Nah, you should just tell WagonCircler that Tyrod Taylor was ahead of Matt Ryan in QBR in 2015, and ranked 7th overall in QBR.
          Holy crap, is that true?

QBR is so incredibly worthless.

Comment

• feldspar
            • Mar 2007

Mike Evans
            Odell
            Brandin Cooks
            Allen Robinson
            Jarvis Landry

There's more, but I'll stop there. All of which could've been had instead of Watkins. The Bills could've stayed at 9 and picked all but Evans.
            What they gave up for Sammy shouldn't have anything to do with how you evaluate him as a player. He's not personally responsible for the trade-up. He's good, and could be great.

And, by the way, every single one of the players that you mentioned are on teams that have had a worse record than the Bills since the 2014 draft. It should all translate into wins, shouldn't it?

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
              Making Spirits Bright
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
              What they gave up for Sammy shouldn't have anything to do with how you evaluate him as a player. He's not personally responsible for the trade-up. He's good, and could be great.
              This is exactly how you evaluate a bust, though. There's no such thing as a 7th round bust, because there's no expectation for greatness for that position. 1st round picks are where the 'bust' term comes from because the expectations are so high, and Sammy cost much more than a 1st round pick.

I'm not saying Sammy is a bust at all, but his worth is tied directly to his draft cost, whether he likes it or not. Sammy has only missed 4 games in his entire career, with this upcoming game being his 5th. The bust term is definitely premature.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                • Mar 2004

And, by the way, every single one of the players that you mentioned are on teams that have had a worse record than the Bills since the 2014 draft. It should all translate into wins, shouldn't it?
                What? What a team gives up is how you evaluate a player. A 7th round WR isn't a bust.

As for the second part of your post, I have no idea what you are trying to communicate, so you are on your own there.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

This is exactly how you evaluate a bust, though. There's no such thing as a 7th round bust, because there's no expectation for greatness for that position. 1st round picks are where the 'bust' term comes from because the expectations are so high, and Sammy cost much more than a 1st round pick.

I'm not saying Sammy is a bust at all, but his worth is tied directly to his draft cost, whether he likes it or not. Sammy has only missed 4 games in his entire career, with this upcoming game being his 5th. The bust term is definitely premature.
                  Maybe bust was the wrong terminology. I think most Bills fans, for how he was touted when they drafted him, expect a lot more production out of a #1 WR. His production is not that of a WR worthy of a top 5 pick. Sorry, it just isn't

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

The guy just recently turned 23, and he has more reception yardage than any other Bills receiver through his first two years. Dunno what else...all this with Kyle Orton, EJ Manuel, and Tyrod Taylor throwing him the ball...Tyrod, who can't seem to throw to the middle of the field too much so far.
                    I love this argument people make that the receivers numbers suffer because of the QB...Lee Evans put up decent years with Kelly Holcomb and JP Losman throwing him the majority of his catches. I can list a bunch of receivers who've put up better numbers than Sammy with just as much of crap at the QB position.

If you, as a receiver, are head and shoulders better than anyone in the passing offense, you'll get looks and touches. If you're not, which Sammy clearly isn't. Whether that is because of his health - since he's made of glass or the fact he really isn't as talented as the price the team paid to select him thought is a legitimate discussion to have.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                      Making Spirits Bright
                      • Mar 2006

Maybe bust was the wrong terminology. I think most Bills fans, for how he was touted when they drafted him, expect a lot more production out of a #1 WR. His production is not that of a WR worthy of a top 5 pick. Sorry, it just isn't
                      There were also people that thought it he wasn't worth trading up for because we had no one to get him the ball. That's been the biggest problem, at least I think so.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                        • Jan 2003

Sadly, it's difficult to expect a WR to do well if his production is ALWAYS attached to how good the guy throwing to him is and how often he is thrown to.

Comment

• feldspar
                          • Mar 2007

Yeah, well...that's like your opinion, man.

I'd hate to be Goff right now.

You may as well put a guy in a hole and slap him in the face if everyone is expecting him to be Superman right away.

Losman cost the Bills what? 2 firsts, a second and a fifth? You're Aunt Tillie's tit? Some hump is going to call Watkins a worse pick?

If you can tell me who the Bills would have drafted had the Bills not drafted Sammy instead, there could be some kind of argument. The Bills may have drafted Aaron Rodgers had they not drafted Losman the way they did. Could be we'd have a bunch of mediocre players instead of Watkins....or as good of a receiver along with some REAL busts.

Atlanta traded WAY more to trade up to get Julio Jones than the Bills did to get Watkins...five picks, I think. The point is that there is nobody in their right mind that would rather have ALL the players the Browns got in that trade instead of Julio Jones, who got the same injury Sammy did.

Could the Bills have done something better? Yes, them along with everybody else along the line. Doesn't make Sammy a bad player in the least. He's NOT a bust. C'mon now.
                          Last edited by feldspar; 09-30-2016, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

Bust is pretty accurate IMO

He's a guy who, based on his draft status and position, should be targeted a dozen times a game. He isn't, he never was, he never will be. That's not all on the QB as there are plenty of receivers who got a ton of targets with absolute crap throwing the ball.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                              I love this argument people make that the receivers numbers suffer because of the QB...Lee Evans put up decent years with Kelly Holcomb and JP Losman throwing him the majority of his catches. I can list a bunch of receivers who've put up better numbers than Sammy with just as much of crap at the QB position.

If you, as a receiver, are head and shoulders better than anyone in the passing offense, you'll get looks and touches. If you're not, which Sammy clearly isn't. Whether that is because of his health - since he's made of glass or the fact he really isn't as talented as the price the team paid to select him thought is a legitimate discussion to have.
                              I remember him getting a lot of crap when he, or his agent, said he should be thrown to more. When they did, he did great. If he isn't targeted, he won't get numbers.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                                Bust is pretty accurate IMO

He's a guy who, based on his draft status and position, should be targeted a dozen times a game. He isn't, he never was, he never will be. That's not all on the QB as there are plenty of receivers who got a ton of targets with absolute crap throwing the ball.
                                So, who are the Bills targeting instead of Sammy? All those targets have to go somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X