• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: Sammy

So far Watkins is not looking like he's worth what we spent on him in picks, that's flirting with bust territory even if the injuries aren't his fault. When healthy he doesn't dominate games anyway.

This season is not looking good for him, so next year we already enter into the 4th year of his contract though, and that's extension territory and pickup 5th year option territory.

I don't personally think he's working out so well, but honestly, next year is more significant. I still strongly don't agree with getting him for the price we paid either, but no going back now.

I'm more worried about next year. If he gets in a healthy year is that worth his future price ? If he's hurt some more, do they spend on him for potential ?

He just doesn't burn it up anyway when he's ok.

Julio Jones was mentioned. If anyone remembers, they spent on him intending to frost their cake for title. Jones is a fine receiver, maybe a great one, and he has Matt Ryan slinging to him, but the Falcons are 43-40 since they spent large on him, and suffer from unreplenished talent the picks could have helped with. They aren't really a contender anymore.

Watkins was intended to be frosting on a cake we didn't bake, I blame Whaley for that, and now we're still stuck hoping he suddenly becomes a game changer in the 4th year of his contract.

That's not real good.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
      Making Spirits Bright
      • Mar 2006

Sammy Watkins

Year Games Played Receptions Yards Touchdowns
      1st 16 65 982 6
      2nd 13 60 1047 9
      3rd 2 6 63 0
      Total after 3 years 31 131 2092 15

Julio Jones
      Year Games Played Receptions Yards Touchdowns
      1st 13 54 959 8
      2nd 16 79 1198 10
      3rd 5 41 580 2
      Total after 3 years 34 174 2737 22

Julio had 43 catches, 645 yards, and 7 TDs more than Sammy through 3 years. Sammy could build on that if he's able to come back from the IR this year.

Comment

• Mace
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
        Julio had 43 catches, 645 yards, and 7 TDs more than Sammy through 3 years. Sammy could build on that if he's able to come back from the IR this year.
        Sure he could, but he's not going to have Matt Ryan throwing to him in a passing oriented offense.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
          Making Spirits Bright
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Mace View Post
          Sure he could, but he's not going to have Matt Ryan throwing to him in a passing oriented offense.
          I'm not saying he's going to, just that he could. Julio's stats were through 3 full years. Sammy, while on IR, has not completed his 3rd year.

Still, saying Sammy is a bust is pretty silly. He's not worth what we paid for him, but that doesn't automatically mean he's a bust.

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

So far Watkins is not looking like he's worth what we spent on him in picks, that's flirting with bust territory even if the injuries aren't his fault. When healthy he doesn't dominate games anyway.

This season is not looking good for him, so next year we already enter into the 4th year of his contract though, and that's extension territory and pickup 5th year option territory.

I don't personally think he's working out so well, but honestly, next year is more significant. I still strongly don't agree with getting him for the price we paid either, but no going back now.

I'm more worried about next year. If he gets in a healthy year is that worth his future price ? If he's hurt some more, do they spend on him for potential ?

He just doesn't burn it up anyway when he's ok.

Julio Jones was mentioned. If anyone remembers, they spent on him intending to frost their cake for title. Jones is a fine receiver, maybe a great one, and he has Matt Ryan slinging to him, but the Falcons are 43-40 since they spent large on him, and suffer from unreplenished talent the picks could have helped with. They aren't really a contender anymore.

Watkins was intended to be frosting on a cake we didn't bake, I blame Whaley for that, and now we're still stuck hoping he suddenly becomes a game changer in the 4th year of his contract.

That's not real good.
            Good post.
            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Mace
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
              I'm not saying he's going to, just that he could. Julio's stats were through 3 full years. Sammy, while on IR, has not completed his 3rd year.

Still, saying Sammy is a bust is pretty silly. He's not worth what we paid for him, but that doesn't automatically mean he's a bust.
              He could, but it's unlikely he'll get anywhere near those numbers. Atlanta has on average more than 200 more pass attempts than rushing attempts per season, (Bills rush more than pass), and had for example more than 150 more pass attempts than the Bills.

To me that means he needs to be an impact player and be dominant in games.

His contract isn't up, he could start running the league and validate his draft status (which he's stuck with) sure, but is it really likely ?

That leads back to his unfortunate draft status and what we paid to get him.

At this point, you probably expect more from someone at his spot, which is why I'm saying he's flirting with bust territory. Is he for sure ? Nah, he's got time and he's honestly not the worst of their issues atm anyway. At the least though, when he comes back he needs to start taking over games like the best do. Mean time, he's just another brittle pick of Whaley's.

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                He was real good in a game? Which one please?
                Your memory is terrible... The 2nd half of last season he had 5 games of 100+ yards and 2 of those games were 150+ yards

Comment

• stuckincincy
                  Buffalo Bills Fan
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
                  Your memory is terrible... The 2nd half of last season he had 5 games of 100+ yards and 2 of those games were 150+ yards
                  Certainly the BUF OL, OB, and play calling situations are part of it, but I don't think other clubs fret a lot about handling Watkins when they construct their game plans against BUF.

He's not there, yet.
                  Last edited by stuckincincy; 10-01-2016, 10:38 PM.
                  Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                    • Jun 2024

He could, but it's unlikely he'll get anywhere near those numbers. Atlanta has on average more than 200 more pass attempts than rushing attempts per season, (Bills rush more than pass), and had for example more than 150 more pass attempts than the Bills.

To me that means he needs to be an impact player and be dominant in games.

His contract isn't up, he could start running the league and validate his draft status (which he's stuck with) sure, but is it really likely ?

That leads back to his unfortunate draft status and what we paid to get him.

At this point, you probably expect more from someone at his spot, which is why I'm saying he's flirting with bust territory. Is he for sure ? Nah, he's got time and he's honestly not the worst of their issues atm anyway. At the least though, when he comes back he needs to start taking over games like the best do. Mean time, he's just another brittle pick of Whaley's.

Comment

• Swiper
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
                      I've always said that a player can't "suck" if he made an NFL roster.
                      Walt Patulski
                      Mike Williams
                      Eric Flowers
                      Aaron Maybin
                      Joe Dufek
                      Gary Mangini
                      Dennis Shaw

Need I go on?

Comment

• Swiper
                        • Sep 2010

What Watkins needs is a decent QB throwing to him. Then people would stop complaining about the pick. Period.

That is a Whaley failure. When you stick your neck out as a GM, like he did with the Watkins pick, you'd better have a QB that can get him the ball. He didn't and still doesn't. So it was a stupid pick. If Whaley was going to make a big move like that it should have been to get some sort of a QB. Otherwise he should have used the picks he had to fill in other roster needs. And, once again, he could have done that and still gotten Odell Beckham Jr.

Comment

• pmoon6
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                          Walt Patulski
                          Mike Williams
                          Eric Flowers
                          Aaron Maybin
                          Joe Dufek
                          Gary Mangini
                          Dennis Shaw

Need I go on?
                          When you make the list, let me know. Otherwise stick to the hobbies that make you happy and save your negative comments for your fellow competitors on the Bocce Court and the Croquet Field.

Comment

• coastal
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Mar 2005

Sammy Watkins should have never been selected in the first place.

no doubt in my mind he's elite.

you don't draft a sidewinder missle and strap it to a cargo plane.

Smart teams realize you you need a fighter jet first.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                              • Jun 2024

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                              Sammy Watkins should have never been selected in the first place.

no doubt in my mind he's elite.

you don't draft a sidewinder missle and strap it to a cargo plane.

Smart teams realize you you need a fighter jet first.
                              The Bills air force...

Comment

• Swiper
                                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
                                When you make the list, let me know. Otherwise stick to the hobbies that make you happy and save your negative comments for your fellow competitors on the Bocce Court and the Croquet Field.
                                Redneck is hurt he gets called out on his stupid post. Tsk. Tsk.

Comment

Working...
                                X