Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowles Changes Heart, Geno to start

Thanks
    Thanked 2,436 Times in 1,521 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bowles Changes Heart, Geno to start

I was hoping Fitz can do some Bills favor, like beating the Ravens and giving Pats a run for the money in their two remaining matches. But I bet it is hard to convince the locker room if Bowles continues to roll out the same guy at QB when fellow players are losing faith. Geno? Not sure how long he will last, maybe he has matured... He can be very impressive or very bad. Good thing is the Jets has just finished their difficult stretch of the schedule.

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet
    49m49 minutes ago

The #Jets are going with QB Geno Smith Sunday, source said (as @AdamSchefter reported.) Fitz to the bench.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bowles Changes Heart, Geno to start

They should start Petty or Hack.

I mean Geno has got to be the worst or close to the worst QB in the NFL. And Fitz well .... as much as I like the guy we all know who he is by now. The Jets season is over. Why not find out what they have in those 2 ?

But hey if Geno is still there when we face them again count me in for a billion dollars on that one.

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Victor7 View Post
    They should start Petty or Hack.
    Absolutely.

What's the best case scenario for Geno this year? If he's lucky he could get the Jets back to 8-8...best realistic case. So what do they do then? His contract is up this year, do they just let him go? Do they sign him to an extension? Are they really willing to give Geno Smith starter money?

I don't see any positives to starting Geno short of him just going on a tear and lighting the league on fire.

On second thought, yeah. Start Geno. Good job New York, this will work out swimmingly.

4. Post thanked by:

Victor7 (10-19-2016)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,105 Times in 4,292 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There is no possible way Geno will be any better than Fitz. He is terrible. Bowles is possibly the worst Head Coach in the NFL right now. He looks lost on the sidelines.

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,912 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well I'm happy because when we played fitz in September he looked like a combination of drew Brees and Peyton manning in their primes. Embarrassing
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not sure about all that, you fellows...

Benching Fitz is a no-brainer, we can all agree. But it's too early for a team to full-out concede the season, especially a team that won 10 games last year. Geno Smith is the only other QB that has any NFL experience at all...the guy has 29 starts. The jets are still trying to win a game and somewhat sell possibilities to the team and fans. Remember that the the Chiefs started out 1-5 last year, and then they made the playoffs.

Maybe Geno learned some things on the bench? I speculate he hasn't learned enough, but going with him right now makes the most sense to me still...even though I think he's not good and will never be a starter, this move makes the most sense to me. Also remember that Geno was set to start last year before IK broke his jaw.

Give Geno a few games and see how he does. If and when he does not play well enough, THEN the Jets should start Petty and see what he has to offer. Word is that Hackenberg isn't close to being ready to start...this was supposed to be a redshirt year for him all along, just like Cardale Jones for the Bills. The Jets have 4 QBs on their roster for a reason.

The Jets need to explore the QBs on their their roster to help determine what they are going to do moving forward into next year, at least.

I'm just glad that they didn't draft Dak Prescott, the way he's been playing. Good times.
    Last edited by feldspar; 10-19-2016 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,436 Times in 1,521 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The name of the game is young talent. NYJ loaded veteran guys like their corners, WRs last years and Fitz (you can only get so-so QB in the open market in NFL). Made a run. Didn't pan out.

To an extent, the Bills did the similar thing last year. But this year, they jettisoned Mario, Manny Lawson etc. and get younger in general. There is a bit of hope for the Bills in terms of Shaq and Marcel coming back into the folder. And outside hope of Watkins being back towards the end.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    But it's too early for a team to full-out concede the season, especially a team that won 10 games last year.
    You could be right, but the Jets have to dig themselves out of a huge hole. 3 out of their 5 losses were to potential AFC wild card teams who they now hold the tie-breakers over them. If they lose to another potential AFC wild card team this week in Baltimore, they're all but toast. They still have to play the Patriots twice.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    You could be right, but the Jets have to dig themselves out of a huge hole. 3 out of their 5 losses were to potential AFC wild card teams who they now hold the tie-breakers over them. If they lose to another potential AFC wild card team this week in Baltimore, they're all but toast. They still have to play the Patriots twice.
    Hey, I think they are ****ed too.

11. Post thanked by:

Joe Fo Sho (10-19-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I haven't watched much of the jets, but the whole thing seems tragic.

fitz is fitz, but last year, he definitely earned to get paid better than brock osweiller. but there was no market and everyone knows he regresses to his mean which is below average and not good enough. but he is a good guy. frankly, having been through this with a bills, I would rather do a miserable season with a qb you like than to have the unlikeable guy provide the same or worse results.

starting geno only shows that you don't have the petty and mech far enough along. I really don't see geno getting a second chance anywhere after this so he has to hope he can play well enough. but he doesn't seem like he controls the locker room or is a student of the game. and If I recall, the jets are kind of an old team in their strong areas. so it seems like a full rebuild is coming.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,507 Times in 9,196 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Stick a fork in them, the Jets are done after 6 games. Yes...they're forked.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,972 Times in 3,512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    I haven't watched much of the jets, but the whole thing seems tragic.
    Yeah just what I was thinking, tragic

15. Post thanked by:

Joe Fo Sho (10-20-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I know there are people who hate the jets,but they are so much like us in terms of bad breaks, never doing anything, that I feel a kinship to jet fans. I told them last year that fitz would let them down, but they loved his 3000 yards and 20 TDs or what ever it is. so I think it is tragic that they really thought fitz could be serviable and get last year's results again. I feel like my jets friends commiserate when we have terrible outings.

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,912 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    I know there are people who hate the jets,but they are so much like us in terms of bad breaks, never doing anything, that I feel a kinship to jet fans. I told them last year that fitz would let them down, but they loved his 3000 yards and 20 TDs or what ever it is. so I think it is tragic that they really thought fitz could be serviable and get last year's results again. I feel like my jets friends commiserate when we have terrible outings.
    **** em. they are our division rivals and have annoying ass fans. That said, I feel the way you described with the Cleveland browns. They are our true brothers in misery.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
    **** em.
    And how.

19. Post thanked by:

Bill Cody (10-21-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

and their lot is really confusing because they'll have started 2 qbs who won't be on their roster next year, but aren't trying the new guys that this regime drafted. so as a fan are you to believe mech and petty are not ready? and is there really any difference between geno and fitz other than one is likeable even in his failures while the other one is just perpetually lost?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Start Petty. You already know what you have in Geno and Fitz and that isn't good enough. It's amazing that back in the spring Fitz actually held out on this team.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

and the Jets are done.

Guaranteed last place finish for them

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,105 Times in 4,292 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DynaPaul View Post
    Start Petty. You already know what you have in Geno and Fitz and that isn't good enough. It's amazing that back in the spring Fitz actually held out on this team.
    He didn't hold out, he didn't have a contract.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    I'm not sure about all that, you fellows...

Benching Fitz is a no-brainer, we can all agree. But it's too early for a team to full-out concede the season, especially a team that won 10 games last year. Geno Smith is the only other QB that has any NFL experience at all...the guy has 29 starts. The jets are still trying to win a game and somewhat sell possibilities to the team and fans. Remember that the the Chiefs started out 1-5 last year, and then they made the playoffs.
    According to this site's analysis of front-and back-loaded schedules, the Jets' opponent strength lightens up as the season progresses:

..."On the other hand, you have the New York Jets, whose schedule will be extraordinarily difficult in the early going before easing up late. The Jets went 10-6 last year, but they’ll also be underdogs in each of their first six games: road trips to Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Arizona and Buffalo — the latter coming on just three days rest — and home games against top contenders Cincinnati and Seattle. After that, though, the only favored opponent left on New York’s slate will be the Patriots (who they’ll face twice). After a potential 2-4 start, the Jets would seem to be in trouble for most of the season, only to make a “surprise” playoff push once the schedule softens up."...

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...easy-schedule/
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.