Thread: scoring up 3.05/game...but why?

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

scoring up 3.05/game...but why?

Youth movement: Sixty-eight rookies have played this season. That’s 10.3% of all players. After watching the Pittsburgh Penguins soar in last spring's playoffs, teams aimed to replicate them in being younger and faster. Skillful youngsters, such as the Toronto Maple Leafs' Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner or the Columbus Blue Jackets’ Zach Werenski, boast elite scoring touches and quicken the game's pace. But less experienced players make mistakes, and mistakes lead to goals.

World Cup bump: Stars are playing with mid-season sharpness because they were competing at a high level in September at the World Cup of Hockey. Look at Brent Burns, Brad Marchand, Joe Pavelski, Connor McDavid and Matthews, among others.

Goalies struggling: Jonathan Quick suffered a long-term injury, and Carey Price missed time with illness. Brian Elliott has slumped early in Calgary. Ben Bishop and Martin Jones are still searching for last season's level. The league save percentage of .903 is well below the .915 average of the past two seasons.

More power plays: Teams are averaging 3.68 opportunities per game. Last season, it was 3.11. We haven’t seen this level of penalty frequency since 2009-10. Are referees calling the game tighter, or are players fouling more because they are scrambling to keep up?

It’s anomaly: The season is not even two weeks old. World Cup participation meant training camps weren’t the same, and now the schedule is more condensed. Players are temporarily out of rhythm. In short order, defenses will tighten, goalie play will steady and scoring will be back to the levels it has been at for the last few seasons. By mid-season, the scoring rate for each team will be between 2.71 and 2.75 per game, the rate it's been for the past five seasons.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/...cid=spartanntp

Thanks
    Thanked 4,336 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: scoring up 3.05/game...but why?

the Goalie EQ is smaller.

you can SEE the size difference just watching them. they look like early 90's goalies now. It's giving the shooters a lot more net to shoot at.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 12,031 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    the Goalie EQ is smaller.

you can SEE the size difference just watching them. they look like early 90's goalies now. It's giving the shooters a lot more net to shoot at.
    They didn't change the rules for this season. Equipment is the same as last year.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I still HATE the small NHL rinks.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bigger rinks would be better.