• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WagonCircler
    Escaped Convict
    • Jul 2002

Re: The NFL's Boring Product

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    I'm confused, do you like boring PC crap or don't you?
    I like players who act like Thurman Thomas. When they get into the end zone, they act like they've been there before.

And you really don't need to tell us that you're confused. That's crystal clear.

Comment

• sahlensguy
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
      In a sense, you're right. I love Russell Wilson. He's the same race as punk ass ***** Richard Sherman.

But there are WAY more athletes, black and white, who act like Richard Sherman than act like Russell Wilson.

Young people's arrogance is funny. You think you're the only ones whose opinions matter or whose money spends. But, as with most issues, you're dead wrong.

It's painfully obvious that thug culture is taking over the NFL, and that the league's pussy, PC approach is turning people off.
      The thug culture in football is more of an issue of what the NFL has become, than it is an issue of race.

Players have become bigger, faster, stronger, harder hitting and richer, all outpacing the increase in players' I.Q. The result is a breeding ground of knuckle dragging thuggery. All in the name to get "theirs". Humanity is pushed aside in so many sports and more so in contact sports with astronomical paydays. It's more of a football problem than a race problem.

Comment

• WagonCircler
        Escaped Convict
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
        The thug culture in football is more of an issue of what the NFL has become, than it is an issue of race.

Players have become bigger, faster, stronger, harder hitting and richer, all outpacing the increase in players' I.Q. The result is a breeding ground of knuckle dragging thuggery. All in the name to get "theirs". Humanity is pushed aside in so many sports and more so in contact sports with astronomical paydays. It's more of a football problem than a race problem.
        Funny how the thugs dress and talk exactly like rappers. There are different types of thug culture, but kind sweeping the NFL is rooted in hip hop culture.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
          Making Spirits Bright
          • Mar 2006

I like players who act like Thurman Thomas. When they get into the end zone, they act like they've been there before.
          And you really don't need to tell us that you're confused. That's crystal clear.
          So you support the NFL on their celebration rules?

Comment

• WagonCircler
            Escaped Convict
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
            So you support the NFL on their celebration rules?
            Absolutely. It's gotten totally absurd. Players whose teams are down by 30 points are doing stupid dances after routine tackles. Celebrations after every damn play. The whole sport turning into a "Look at meeeeeeee!!!!!!" pageant.

I'm sure you enjoy that sort of thing. You seem like the type. Not all of us do.

The type of PC thing I'm pissed off about is crap like fining guys for wearing a 9-11 tribute on his spikes while Colon (intentional misspell) kneels like the ***** that he is, with no repercussions.

Roger Goodell is a weasel.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Whatever.

Race doesn't have anything to do with what makes the game fun or not so fun to tune into.

I'm enjoying the NBA lately more than I am the NFL. One thing that the NBA has right is youtube. You can watch full highlights of games, often shortly after the game is done. Full highlights are easily available for the games top performers as well. Every basket is there to review, all in HD. Scouting talent is a few simple clicks away. The NFL doesn't come close to that.

It's not about what struggles or successes the different leagues have on a macro level that is important imo. Rather what are the leagues doing that make their product interesting to YOU. Race is a red herring.
              I don't disagree with you at all, but I also don't think that race is a red herring to everybody.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• sahlensguy
                • Mar 2015

Funny how the thugs dress and talk exactly like rappers. There are different types of thug culture, but kind sweeping the NFL is rooted in hip hop culture.
                Kaepernick protests ignited opinions to the front pages of newspapers. Is this a type of thuggery you're talking about?

In that sense, race is the issue imo.

In everyday life, blacks have been beaten down and oppressed by whites for centuries. When Kaepernick and other minorities gain some clout from their athleticism, they are sometimes able to make statements that get the attention of the white majority. He made a statement that got attention alright. It got attention because the nation could pile on a minority with an Afro in the name of patriotism.
                Many of these minorities are making statements with their tats, dreads and gold teeth and thuggery. It's perhaps the first time, a white man will pay attention to him. The issue is partly about race, I agree. Who's to blame for it all though.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                  Making Spirits Bright
                  • Mar 2006

Absolutely. It's gotten totally absurd. Players whose teams are down by 30 points are doing stupid dances after routine tackles. Celebrations after every damn play. The whole sport turning into a "Look at meeeeeeee!!!!!!" pageant.
                  None of that has stopped.

I'm sure you enjoy that sort of thing. You seem like the type. Not all of us do.
                  Yeah, god forbid anyone want to be entertained while watching the super serious sport of football.

The type of PC thing I'm pissed off about is crap like fining guys for wearing a 9-11 tribute on his spikes while Colon (intentional misspell) kneels like the ***** that he is, with no repercussions.
                  What type of repercussion would like Colon (intentionally misspelled like you did) to have?

Roger Goodell is a weasel.
                  No one will argue that.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                    I don't disagree with you at all, but I also don't think that race is a red herring to everybody.
                    Is the game losing your interest? If so, why? I would ask Wagon the same questions.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Is the game losing your interest? If so, why? I would ask Wagon the same questions.
                      Mine? Not really, I've only even been a partial fan to the NFL as a whole, outside of the offseason. I enjoy watching a few other teams play when available but I cut the cable cord months before the season began so my options are very limited.

I've always been more interested in watching NCAA over the NFL but that hasn't changed since I was young. I don't see a problem with today's NFL like many others do. I see issues that can and could be corrected.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• WagonCircler
                        Escaped Convict
                        • Jul 2002

Maybe not overtly, and again, it's not color, it's culture.

When you watch the Super Bowl--and bear in mind, I'm talking about those of us who are tuning out--and you see a clown like Cam Newton put forth as the new face of the league, or you see a clown like Kaepernick doing his protest bit on someone else's dime, or you see Richard Sherman get in the face of your team's coach, you didn't see that type of thing in the game we grew up with.

It's behavior that springs from a particular culture. I detest Kanye West. I don't want to see his attitude seep into a sport I grew up loving. But it has, so I tune out. I watch Bills games now, but no other NFL games. And pretty much every friend of mine feels exactly the same way.

The World Series took a giant highlighter to the situation. It was a throwback. Nobody knelt. In fact, the American flag was massive. People were respectful. The emphasis was on the games. On the plays. One of the reasons I love baseball is that if you act like a punk (see Bautista, Jose) you get drilled. Same with hockey. But in the NFL, the punks have taken over.

- - - Updated - - -

See my answer above.

It's absolutely losing my interest.

I post here mostly out of habit. And my love for the Bills is more about my love for Buffalo than for the NFL.

Every year that goes by I, like DraftBoy said, become more interested in College Football than the NFL. I love the traditions, the passion, the school pride. And I love the fun. College Gameday is the only ESPN show I watch other than the Home Run Derby once a year.
                        Last edited by WagonCircler; 11-08-2016, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                          • Mar 2015

Mine? Not really, I've only even been a partial fan to the NFL as a whole, outside of the offseason. I enjoy watching a few other teams play when available but I cut the cable cord months before the season began so my options are very limited.

I've always been more interested in watching NCAA over the NFL but that hasn't changed since I was young. I don't see a problem with today's NFL like many others do. I see issues that can and could be corrected.
                          Fair.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                            • Mar 2015

Maybe not overtly, and again, it's not color, it's culture.

When you watch the Super Bowl--and bear in mind, I'm talking about those of us who are tuning out--and you see a clown like Cam Newton put forth as the new face of the league, or you see a clown like Kaepernick doing his protest bit on someone else's dime, or you see Richard Sherman get in the face of your team's coach, you didn't see that type of thing in the game we grew up with.

It's behavior that springs from a particular culture. I detest Kanye West. I don't want to see his attitude seep into a sport I grew up loving. But it has, so I tune out. I watch Bills games now, but no other NFL games. And pretty much every friend of mine feels exactly the same way.

The World Series took a giant highlighter to the situation. It was a throwback. Nobody knelt. In fact, the American flag was massive. People were respectful. The emphasis was on the games. On the plays. One of the reasons I love baseball is that if you act like a punk (see Bautista, Jose) you get drilled. Same with hockey. But in the NFL, the punks have taken over.

- - - Updated - - -

See my answer above.

It's absolutely losing my interest.
                            Their faces are in the camera because the NFL needs new stars, as stars sell the game. That's an NFL created issue. Not a culturally created one.

Comment

• Mouldsie
                              • Aug 2012

I'm talking about the hit on our kicker and I'm pretty sure that hit on the last play of the game, in the right front corner of the end zone, was him as well.

That and the taunting of Ryan, it's bulls_hit.

You may think I'm in the minority, but I assure you, I'm not. And the NFL is feeling it.
                              The hit on the kicker is playing until the whistle is blown. It was a live play still because the refs ****ed up. The hit on Powell is completely legal, if you don't want to get clowned then learn the rules and play physical in return.

Rex Ryan is one of the biggest loudmouths in the league. The difference between them is one of them has more rings and playoff wins. I find that I hate when players who've never done anything celebrate, especially routine plays, but when it's Sherman or Gronk I can't say **** because they back it up by being elite players on elite teams. Don't like it? Beat them.

I never made any claims about you being in the minority or not or even that necessarily disagree with the general point you're trying to make.... just the example is poor IMO. I would use Desean Jackson (or Rex Ryan) as an example or something.

FYI Chad Kelly acts more thuggish than any Seattle player.

Comment

• Mouldsie
                                • Aug 2012

Isn't PC culture where you try to suppress freedom of ideas and speech because it's offensive? I don't see how wanting to punish Kaepernick is anything other than PC.

Comment

Working...
                                X