X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Turf
    • Jul 2002

The NFL's Boring Product

Wow. Watching the evening games is dreadful. Watching any game other than your team is dreadful. If not for fantasy football, would the NFL have half the viewership it has?
    Games like 6-6. 3-3 in the 4th quarter. Dink and dink league, Dink and dunk. 5 yard pass. Is this basketball? Boring boring boring boring.
    In a league where they adjusted the rules to elicit scoring, just the opposite is happening. Why is that?

1) The rosters are too small - Injuries, depth. I guess the NFL really is all about money. God forbid the extra 5 million a team would have to pay out to have some depth and consistency, not to mention identity.

2) The games are too short. No, not the game length itself, the number of plays taken out of the game via play clock, no out of bounds stoppages unless under 5 mins each half. I've even seen the clock running after penalites. Why? More commercials!
    They complained the games were too long (like there's anything else better on TV Sunday than football).

I'm going to beat this drum until someone listens to me. Due to the lack of plays in the game and the game clock, you cannot get back into a game when behind by running. So you have to throw. Everyone sits deep so you can't beat them and what do you have. Dink and dunk 5 yard passes. It's BORING. It's not football.

3) Hyper sensitive pass interference (and holding). Makes it easy to fix a game.

4) Commercials - nothing needs to be said its soo bad.

5) Replays - nothing needs to be said its soo bad.

6) Politics - I watch football for an escape and because I love the game itself, not to discuss someone's emotional crisis or political view.

7) The No Fun League - You can cripple another player, but apparently celebrating victory is a no no. I actually like that stuff. Or should I say LIKED.

Feel free to add to the list. I'm really hating seeing my game dismantled by Goodell and the supporting cast.
    Last edited by Turf; 10-24-2016, 11:26 PM.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.
  • Crisis
    • Aug 2004

Re: The NFL's Boring Product

Funny you compare it to basketball, when the NBA is actually on the rise because they avoid the negativity that surrounds the NFL.

Turn on a sports station during last year and it's NBA talk, what do they talk about? The focus is on the players and player narratives. Curry and the Warrios, Russ and the Thunder, Lebron, etc.

Turn on a sports station and its NFL talk, what do you hear? Kaepernick, excessive celebration penalties, bogus disciplinary action by the league, concussions, how awful the officiating is. It's night and day, the focus isn't about the actual game anymore.

Not even mentioning you suck the joy out of the game when everytime a big play is made you're looking for a flag or worried about some bogus penalty to wipe it out, and then have to sit through a ridiculous amount of commercials directly after. How am I supposed to be hyped about a TD when I spend a minute waiting for the flag to come out and waiting for an excessive celebration penalty, then 5+ minutes on commercials, watch a touchback, and get another 2-5 minutes of commercials?
    Last edited by Crisis; 10-24-2016, 11:53 PM.
    Originally posted by LOSman WINS
    Vanek is Austrian not European
    Originally posted by Prov401
    Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
    Originally posted by better days
    I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• Turf
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Crisis View Post
      Funny you compare it to basketball, when the NBA is actually on the rise because they avoid the negativity that surrounds the NFL.

Turn on a sports station during last year and it's NBA talk, what do they talk about? The focus is on the players and player narratives. Curry and the Warrios, Russ and the Thunder, Lebron, etc.

Turn on a sports station and its NFL talk, what do you hear? Kaepernick, excessive celebration penalties, bogus disciplinary action by the league, concussions, how awful the officiating is. It's night and day, the focus isn't about the actual game anymore.

Not even mentioning you suck the joy out of the game when everytime a big play is made you're looking for a flag or worried about some bogus penalty to wipe it out, and then have to sit through a ridiculous amount of commercials directly after. How am I supposed to be hyped about a TD when I spend a minute waiting for the flag to come out and waiting for an excessive celebration penalty, then 5+ minutes on commercials, watch a touchback, and get another 2-5 minutes of commercials?
      You are very correct.
      Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Topas
        German smartass
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Turf View Post
        Wow. Watching the evening games is dreadful. Watching any game other than your team is dreadful. If not for fantasy football, would the NFL have half the viewership it has?
        Games like 6-6. 3-3 in the 4th quarter. Dink and dink league, Dink and dunk. 5 yard pass. Is this basketball? Boring boring boring boring.
        In a league where they adjusted the rules to elicit scoring, just the opposite is happening. Why is that?

1) The rosters are too small - Injuries, depth. I guess the NFL really is all about money. God forbid the extra 5 million a team would have to pay out to have some depth and consistency, not to mention identity.

2) The games are too short. No, not the game length itself, the number of plays taken out of the game via play clock, no out of bounds stoppages unless under 5 mins each half. I've even seen the clock running after penalites. Why? More commercials!
        They complained the games were too long (like there's anything else better on TV Sunday than football).

I'm going to beat this drum until someone listens to me. Due to the lack of plays in the game and the game clock, you cannot get back into a game when behind by running. So you have to throw. Everyone sits deep so you can't beat them and what do you have. Dink and dunk 5 yard passes. It's BORING. It's not football.

3) Hyper sensitive pass interference (and holding). Makes it easy to fix a game.

4) Commercials - nothing needs to be said its soo bad.

5) Replays - nothing needs to be said its soo bad.

6) Politics - I watch football for an escape and because I love the game itself, not to discuss someone's emotional crisis or political view.

7) The No Fun League - You can cripple another player, but apparently celebrating victory is a no no. I actually like that stuff. Or should I say LIKED.

Feel free to add to the list. I'm really hating seeing my game dismantled by Goodell and the supporting cast.
        ad 1) One of the reasons that rosters are so small is, that well-run teams (aka Patriots, Steelers etc.) cannot hide all the good players on their rosters on the bench and develp them. In that way bad teams (aka the Bills) have access to these players. So small rosters do also in a way improve the product on the field. Of course money is also a reason. I am just saying that bigger teams would not necessarily increase the quality of play.

ad 2) 3h is plenty enough for me. Of course it would be nice with less ads. But that is a pipedream.

ad 3) I like hypersensitive pass interference. Better than when the Patriots players mugged the Colts on each pass route and there was no passing game.

ad 7) I wholeheartely agree here.

Comment

• Ingtar33
          Dances With Buffaloes
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Crisis View Post

agreed, the NBA has been fun to watch. I've never been much of a NBA fan, mostly watched college basket ball, I would watch the finals from time to time as well. But the last few years have been a blast. First it was the spurs with that finals against the heat. That had to have been the best exhibition of basketball I've ever seen. Then it was the Warriors rolling the Cavs, heck while the Cavs weren't that fun of a team to watch, the ball never really moved well with them, and when it hit Irving's hands it would die, the ball LBJ played in those last 3 games of the finals was out of this world elite. That was a return to the pre-miami Lebron, that was a lot of fun to watch.

Best thing to happen to the NBA was the spurs winning it a few years ago. got a lot of teams rolling with a motion offense, passing, and finding the open man, and away from ISO ball. ISO ball was killing the league. I couldn't watch it. Just painful. now the league is a lot of fun to watch.

The NFL on the other hand has a problem with teams trying to incorporate the college spread/option offenses, and NFL defenses generally able to shut it down. The teams that are really dominating on offence are the teams running 30 year old nfl offenses, 2RBs, 1TE, lots of motion, plenty of pulling guards, they look like the old school redskins or even the 90's cowboys. Most defenses have got away from big linebackers, and linemen in order to pass rush effectively against those short passing game spread offenses, so of course the teams seriously dedicated to the rushing game are carving up those undersized front sevens.
          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
            Skoobasaurus-Rex
            • Oct 2011

The whole look at me social event has really soured me on watching other NFL games besides Buffalo.

Comment

• Swiper
              • Sep 2010

Basketball is not a contact sport.

In professional football, the players have gotten bigger, faster, stronger and are hitting each other much harder than ever. I laugh now thinking about Joe DeLamellieure, Mike Montler, Reggie McKenzie, Donnie Green, and Dave Foley (the Elecctric Company). They would never play in the league today. Concussions on the rise. Public watching how the league handles it. Just saying.

But the problem is there are not too many marquee players. No Deon Sanders, Bill Romanowski, Ronnie Lott, etc. Not enough anyway. The league lacks star QBs (due to college football changes) and running backs. The whole game has progressed in to a fancy version of the arena football league where scoring can be 50 to 70 points per game. They claim the fans like to see scoring. Well there's that.

But the died-in-the-wool guys that like to watch the grind it out game are bucking back...

Ratings still shrinking

Ratings are down, every week in nearly every broadcasting window.

For Week Seven, the 9.4 overnight rating for the Bears-Packers game reflected an 18.2-percent drop from the Week Seven TNF game in 2015, a 20-3 win by the Seahawks over the 49ers. The Sunday night game between the Seahawks and Cardinals dropped by 15 percent from last year’s Eagles-Panthers game, with an 11.6 rating.

Comment

• Swiper
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                The whole look at me social event has really soured me on watching other NFL games besides Buffalo.
                I find myself watching non-Bills games less and less. Almost never anymore. Nothing there interests me. I watched the end of the Charger/Falcon game. That was pretty good, but these teams are going where? IDK.

We'll never see Raiders/Steelers, Cowboys/Redskins or Rams/Vikings again. Those rivalries died with the 1970s.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

I don't think the rosters are too small.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Historian
                    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                    • Dec 2002

Random thoughts:

The graduation rate of college athletes coming out for the draft is pathetic. I think the system is a complete mess.

I'm beginning to think the reason for replay is to squeeze in another three commercials. Even when you're at a game, the times the players are just standing around waiting for the commercials to play is silly.

It's become more of a pageant, or fashion show, as opposed to a sporting event.

Armed guards with M-16s patrolling the gates.

This is my last year as a STH, and it has nothing to do with the team's play on the field.

Gameday isn't even fun anymore.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                      Dances With Buffaloes
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                      In professional football, the players have gotten bigger, faster, stronger and are hitting each other much harder than ever. I laugh now thinking about Joe DeLamellieure, Mike Montler, Reggie McKenzie, Donnie Green, and Dave Foley (the Elecctric Company). They would never play in the league today. Concussions on the rise. Public watching how the league handles it. Just saying.

But the problem is there are not too many marquee players. No Deon Sanders, Bill Romanowski, Ronnie Lott, etc. Not enough anyway. The league lacks star QBs (due to college football changes) and running backs. The whole game has progressed in to a fancy version of the arena football league where scoring can be 50 to 70 points per game. They claim the fans like to see scoring. Well there's that.
                      scoring is WAY down so your point is invalid. WAY DOWN. The problem is teams can't score anymore. 3-3- is becoming the norm not 50-40.

Your first point about concussions though? That's part of the reason why no one is watching. Not because of the concussions, or concern for the players, but because the actions the league has taken to limit concussions have turned off the fans to a high degree. Ronnie Lott would never have made a name for himself in today's nfl. Today's nfl would have banned him the first time he took someone's head off after going over the middle.

AND that, i think is ultimately where the NFL lost the fans. Like it or hate it, the NFL was popular because it was a gladiator sport. Take away player injury by legislating where they can hit each other excessively and you take the gladiator out of it. It simply won't be interesting to the people who like football for the huge hits.
                      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• k-oneputt
                        • Jun 2009

I've had season tickets for years, and I'm seriously thinking this is my last year.
                        I will cherry pick the couple of games I really want.
                        NFL, outside of the Bills, has become boring to me. I can't even watch a whole game unless I have big action on it.

Comment

• BuffRanger
                          • Sep 2004

Refs waaaaaay too involved. Too many penalties. Too many stoppages. Everytime a big play happens i wait to react, knowing a flag has been thrown that will take it away. It's the refs.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                            • Nov 2007

For me, the single biggest turnoff are the commercials. injury. commercial. touchdown. commercial. extra point. commercial. kickoff. commercial. just takes away from the flow of the game from my perspective
                            I came.
                            I saw.
                            I conquered.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

Let's remember this thread the next time new stadium talk comes up.
                              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

Working...
                              X