• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ticatfan
    The Meathead of Muslims!
    • Jul 2002

Re: The NFL's Boring Product

Gotta love the CFL. Guys playing the game they love for peanuts with a hope of making the big league. Not a bunch of over paid whiners.
    Political correctness ( or cancel culture as it is called today) is a doctrine fostered by a delusional ,illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by MSM which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
    Harry S Truman 1941.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
      Unreachable Douche
      • Jul 2002

I never liked basketball and still don't really follow it. Over the last couple of years I've finally seen basketball and hockey live. Now that I've seen all 4 major sports live I'd have to say in entertainment value watching them live I'd rank them...

1) NBA...even during commercial breaks there's something going on on the court.

2) Hockey..I don't really follow since the strike and "No Goal" but I have noticed the Sabres have been one of the worst teams in the league since ownership change. 2nd worst record in league again this year.

3) NFL: I actually fell asleep during the Cardinals game at the Ralph

4) MLB...throw a pitch...wait...throw a pitch...wait...pitching change...yawn...bring back steroids...at least that was exciting.
      Last edited by TacklingDummy; 10-26-2016, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

I pretty muck left BB behind when they instituted the 3-point shot.

College teams shooting 25- 30% from the field now, NBA teams having 2 or 3 players feed 3 or 2 other players. The snappy passing is less - so much working the ball outside instead of inside. NBA clubs now have minimum and maximum roster size, and only have to activate 8 players for a game if they choose to. No thundering battles between a Wes Unseld and a Wilt Chamberlain and a Nate Thurmond and a Dave Cowens and so on. No putting in a Paul Silas or Gus Johnson to crash the board.

No more wow-wee scorers in college anymore. No Calvin Murphys, Pete Maravitches etc.

The final nail to me was Michal Jordan re-writing the rules about traveling.

My
        Last edited by stuckincincy; 10-26-2016, 02:13 PM.
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
          On the point of the NBA, that's how you have to get good in todays league. There's no benefit to be a middling team as every year there is one or two distinct difference makers in the draft. So teams who could maybe pull out 30 wins don't bother and would rather win like 12 to get that elite talent. It takes more than one of those elite talents, so you see teams in the tank for multiple years to acquire talent.

Then went you snatch up that kind of talent with the NBA's convoluted salary cap rules, bird rights, early bird rights, exceptions, you can then pay 2-4 of your own homegrown talent anything you want up to max salaries while going out and getting other pieces and paying them ridiculous salaries too. It takes that elite talent up front though to entice other elite talent to jump to your team. Without Kyrie and the trade chips for Love, does LeBron come back to Cleveland? It's an interesting question and I'm not sure if you can give a definitive answer. I am pretty sure he wouldn't want to come back to a team that had a roster that looked like the 06 Cavs though.

Finally, in the NBA, you need an owner who is willing to pay all that money out. To spend not only to the cap but well passed it. The Cavs can be assembled the way they currently are because Dan Gilbert is willing not only to pay to the cap but well passed it. So well passed it that the Cavs have the highest salary in the NBA and are looking about 30 million in luxury tax penalty this year.

It doesn't really have to do with small market vs large market, it's all on the willingness of an owner to go out and spend like a drunken sailor IF his talent evaluators have done a good job grabbing talent during the lean years.
          It does matter though. Because the NBA has a hard cap on an individual player's contracts, there are several "max deal" guys who can only be offered the same contract by multiple teams. So you wind up with a situation where the lesser teams can't compete on price like we had to do with Mario Williams, and instead players choose teams either for the teammates or for the opportunities of the city. The Miami triplets formed when the three guys sat down and planned it all out at the 2008 Olympics, for example.

If this board was watching the Buffalo Braves derp to 35 wins a season and losing talent to LA and Miami, they wouldn't be in here talking about the quality of the NBA product.

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
          Scoring is way down because the players and the coaches (outside of Belichick) all suck.
          ? Why are people saying scoring is way down? In 2014 the average team was at 22.6 points per game. In 2015 it was 22.8 points per game. In 2016 so far it is 22.7.

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
          I pretty muck left BB behind when they instituted the 3-point shot
          That was nearly 40 years ago. Jeez, man.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post

That was nearly 40 years ago. Jeez, man.
            36 years. Why the "Jeez, man?"

Consider the possibility that if you watched basketball as it was played many years ago, you might feel as I do.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
              36 years. Why the "Jeez, man?"

Consider the possibility that if you watched basketball as it was played many years ago, you might feel as I do.
              Maybe, but to me that's like pining for football from the days before the forward pass. It completely changed the game.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

I still enjoy college basketball. I agree with cinci, the evolution of Jordan and what they did to the game during his tenure just ruined it IMO.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

It does matter though. Because the NBA has a hard cap on an individual player's contracts, there are several "max deal" guys who can only be offered the same contract by multiple teams. So you wind up with a situation where the lesser teams can't compete on price like we had to do with Mario Williams, and instead players choose teams either for the teammates or for the opportunities of the city. The Miami triplets formed when the three guys sat down and planned it all out at the 2008 Olympics, for example.

If this board was watching the Buffalo Braves derp to 35 wins a season and losing talent to LA and Miami, they wouldn't be in here talking about the quality of the NBA product.
                  Agree to disagree on the money part of the game. You can play anywhere and be good if you have an owner who's willing to spend the money and talent evaluators who can do their job. Especially with the NBAs convoluted cap rules. You can go over the cap to re-sign any of you own players at any price up to any amount of money in total for all those guys.

The Cavs were basically right on the cap when they re-upped JR Smith for 14 million a season. There was talk that if he didn't resign and instead went to Boston, allegedly the Celtics were interested, then the Cavs would have had about 2 million to spend on his replacement. It's also why last year when the Cavs were up against the so called cap, they were able to give Tristan Thompson a huge deal that far surpassed the cap.

If the Braves still existed and had an owner like Gilbert, then no one here would think the NBA sucked because the team would be good. However, in your example, if they derped to 30-35 wins a year every year, then people would feel the same towards the NBA that they do the NFL around here. If you're spinning your wheels in the NBA you're really going backward as the chance to hit on a pick after the top 5 is almost nil. Whereas in the NFL you can still strike gold in the latter rounds to turn your franchise around.

2nd round players in the NBA are nobodies for the most part. They're interchangeable parts that get traded around the league for future considerations or for someone to dump salary and get a trade exception to play with the "cap" Or they end up playing D League ball for years and then end up playing in Europe.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                    I still enjoy college basketball. I agree with cinci, the evolution of Jordan and what they did to the game during his tenure just ruined it IMO.
                    That's because the NBA has learned to protect it's star players and let them showcase their skills. The NFL has started to get the first part down but for some reason has completely stymied any sort of individuality.

The NHL is a whole nother ball of wax that does neither of those things. Which is why it's stuck being in a niche.

Comment

• DetDannyWilliams
                      Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
                      • Feb 2013

Rodriguez also reiterated the prediction he made last week to Sporting News that he believes baseball can overtake pro football and regain its lost title as America's Game.
                      "I don't want to be corny. But baseball is in a tremendous spot. Baseball was the No. 1 sport in America and I feel, I’m not sure when, we’re going to be back to No. 1 soon."

read:http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/world-series-2016-cubs-indians-fox-sports-broadcast-pregame-alex-rodriguez-pete-rose-frank-thomas-mlb-tv-ratings-nfl/1ffwhb7u3485b1ph1gm1nc4oab

Time Show Adults 18-49 Rating/Share Viewers (millions)
                      8 p.m. World Series Game 1 (FOX) (8-11 p.m.) 5.4/18 18.72
                      http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-tuesday-oct-25-2016/

Comment

• Turf
                        • Jul 2002

Lets talk about the camera angles for a second.

back in the day, before high def (don't know how we lived without it), the camera men actually WORKED.

So I assumed once we got high def, we'd have great game feeds.

What drives me nuts, every ****ing game, at the start of the play, the camera is zoomed out to show 50 yards of the field. They show 50 yards of the goddamn field. Everyone looks like ants. Then they zoom in to 30 yards, and as the play develops, they zoom in some. When do we see closeups, when the play is over and they walk back to the huddle. ****ing mind blowing. The ******* that though that this was a good idea needs to be fired immediately. It ruins the game for me. Every game I'm yelling ZOOM IN. Why the **** would I want to watch a high def broadcast from the blimp? These people are so ****ing stupid and lazy its mind boggling. Then at the start of the next play, the camers is actually OFF CENTER and showing the entire field, while they casually zoom in. What is the camera man doing? ****ing idiots.
                        Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                          • Sep 2012

Agree to disagree on the money part of the game. You can play anywhere and be good if you have an owner who's willing to spend the money and talent evaluators who can do their job. Especially with the NBAs convoluted cap rules. You can go over the cap to re-sign any of you own players at any price up to any amount of money in total for all those guys.

The Cavs were basically right on the cap when they re-upped JR Smith for 14 million a season. There was talk that if he didn't resign and instead went to Boston, allegedly the Celtics were interested, then the Cavs would have had about 2 million to spend on his replacement. It's also why last year when the Cavs were up against the so called cap, they were able to give Tristan Thompson a huge deal that far surpassed the cap.

If the Braves still existed and had an owner like Gilbert, then no one here would think the NBA sucked because the team would be good. However, in your example, if they derped to 30-35 wins a year every year, then people would feel the same towards the NBA that they do the NFL around here. If you're spinning your wheels in the NBA you're really going backward as the chance to hit on a pick after the top 5 is almost nil. Whereas in the NFL you can still strike gold in the latter rounds to turn your franchise around.

2nd round players in the NBA are nobodies for the most part. They're interchangeable parts that get traded around the league for future considerations or for someone to dump salary and get a trade exception to play with the "cap" Or they end up playing D League ball for years and then end up playing in Europe.
                          The Cavs aren't great because of Dan Gilbert. He just facilitates that. If anything, his whiny Comic Sans rant after LeBron left was one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen. The Cavs are great because, like I said, one of the best players in history was born in their backyard and made a personal mission to bring them a championship out of hometown loyalty. If LeBron isn't from Cleveland, there's no chance he goes back there after his time in Miami. Today we are talking about LeBron's Lakers or whatever. Buffalo would be the same way.

Comment

• The Beef
                            • Sep 2011

That's because the NBA has learned to protect it's star players and let them showcase their skills. The NFL has started to get the first part down but for some reason has completely stymied any sort of individuality.

The NHL is a whole nother ball of wax that does neither of those things. Which is why it's stuck being in a niche.
                            For the record Anthony Davis just dropped possibly the greatest stat line the first game of the season.

Westbrook finished an assist shy of triple double.

Minnesota has possibly tje most enviable young duo since KD and Westbrook with Wiggins and Karl Anthony Towns. KAT is a man child.

The big man has not died in the league, it's evolved. KAT, Davis and Whiteside are all studs.

Kawhi Leonard just smoked GSW opening night in the Bay.

Lebron is still throwing down ridiculous dunks and running the floor like he's in his 3rd year, not 13th.

And the Bulls are throwing out a lineup like it's 1998.

The league is far more interesting that in has been in years.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

I'd like to take a swipe at the NFLPA and the 2011 CBA and crappy play.

Reduction in contact drills, restrictions in player contact during the year and so on. Players wanted the least amount of work off-season and in-season and got it. Unprepared players, physically, mentally. Rookies not getting traditional coaching-up and failing early in their careers. Injuries all over the place.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                                Peterman Sucks!
                                • Mar 2006

The Cavs aren't great because of Dan Gilbert. He just facilitates that. If anything, his whiny Comic Sans rant after LeBron left was one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen. The Cavs are great because, like I said, one of the best players in history was born in their backyard and made a personal mission to bring them a championship out of hometown loyalty. If LeBron isn't from Cleveland, there's no chance he goes back there after his time in Miami. Today we are talking about LeBron's Lakers or whatever. Buffalo would be the same way.
                                But if he was cheap or didn't have the money, then the Cavs wouldn't look the way they do today. Kyrie probably wouldn't even be on the team anymore for that matter. So, while yes LeBron being there is because he wanted to bring a championship to NE Ohio, Gilbert still deserves some credit for being willing to pony up a lot of money to entice LeBron to come back, to pay out 30m in luxury tax from his own pocket to keep the entire team together and happy, and to pay the star players max contracts.

The talent evaluators have to also get some credit for drafting Kyrie and Wiggins, plus the trade acquisitions of Mozgov, JR Smith, Channing Frye and Iman Shumpert.

This team had LeBron before and a weak cast around him and all that got them to was 1 finals. Gilbert learned that the old way of trying to do it with LeBron wouldn't work and has corrected that mistake.

He's still an idiot for that comic sans email though.

Comment

Working...
                                X