Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Taylor interception-adverse?

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Is Taylor interception-adverse?

Dunno if it's him or if it's coaching dictates, but I wonder if his zipping around and taking off is better than flinging and taking a chance?
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Is Taylor interception-adverse?

The coaches know better than to put him in difficult passing situations (like over the middle). So we have a safe passing offense that is very limited. If the running game isn't working, the outcome is bleak.

3. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (10-27-2016),Lone Stranger (10-25-2016),Mace (10-25-2016),Thurmal (10-26-2016)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If it's scheme based, then Lynn carried it over after we fired Roman. If we want to win the way Rex wants to play, then we need a QB who will not turn the ball over. You'd probably have to study the tape to see what routes the receivers are running to know for sure though.

I know it's an incredibly small sample size, but while playing for the Ravens, Tyrod threw 2 interceptions on 35 attempts. That's 1 INT per 17.5 attempts, with Buffalo he's averaging 1 INT per 71.5 attempts. I don't think this really shows anything, he only played in a few games and usually during garbage time with Baltimore, but it's something.

It was nice to see that 20 yard pass over the middle against the Dolphins late in the 4th when we were down 11 to get to the 2 yard line. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    If it's scheme based, then Lynn carried it over after we fired Roman. If we want to win the way Rex wants to play, then we need a QB who will not turn the ball over. .
    And indestructible running backs. And that's the tragic flaw.

Of course Lynn carried it over. It's not like Tyrod grew 6 inches since they fired Roman. Lynn's not stupid. He knows Taylor's flaws as well as anybody.

6. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (10-25-2016)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post

Of course Lynn carried it over. It's not like Tyrod grew 6 inches since they fired Roman. Lynn's not stupid. He knows Taylor's flaws as well as anybody.
    You gotta take the chance now and then, regardless of flaws. So many stats, systems calling in this or that over radio helmets these days. No b*lls no glory. Let your qb snatch a win, I say.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    I assume you're only saying this because of the most recent game where we struggled to run?

Gillislee has averaged over 5.7 yards per carry over the past 2 years. Karlos averaged 5.6 yards per carry last year. Seems to me like the system is built to plug in running backs.

9. Post thanked by:

alohabillsfan (10-27-2016)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I assume you're only saying this because of the most recent game where we struggled to run?

Gillislee has averaged over 5.7 yards per carry over the past 2 years. Karlos averaged 5.6 yards per carry last year. Seems to me like the system is built to plug in running backs.
    Bad assumption. I watched him play with BAL before he came to BUF.

Factor in big yard plays when you quote rb stats.

He seems to me to be a chronic scooter when the heat is on. I appreciate that that can extend drives, but I don't think he has the eye for the big strike unless the wr is wide open, or he has the moxie to toss for the improbable reception in the face of good coverage. He won't take chances. When he can't see a sure strike, he takes off. He's an 8 and 8 qb starter.

Do you think Taylor is the qb to lead BUF to success? I don't. Nobody made a move for him until his contract ran out, IIRC.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 10-25-2016 at 03:25 PM.

11. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (10-25-2016)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He's being evaluated for everything and I'm not on either side of the fence yet.

I do notice he escapes situations others cannot.. but also misses some wide open opportunities just a few yards downfield.

I keep hoping Cardale Jones continues to improve with his footwork. He can zip some passes in tight windows that Taylor could only dream of. No hesitation to deliver the rock. Saw every pass he threw at Ohio St.

Plus draft/sign another next spring to add to the mix.

13. Post thanked by:

Mace (10-25-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Bad assumption. I watched him play with BAL before he came to BUF.
    Who are you talking about? I mentioned Gillislee and Karlos, neither played for BAL.

Factor in big yard plays when you quote rb stats.
    Yeah, that's what an average does. It factors in big yard plays and small yard plays, and everything in between.

He seems to me to be a chronic scooter when the heat is on. I appreciate that that can extend drives, but I don't think he has the eye for the big strike unless the wr is wide open, or he has the moxie to toss for the improbable reception in the face of good coverage. He won't take chances. When he can't see a sure strike, he takes off. He's an 8 and 8 qb starter.
    I'm not going to argue against any of that.

Do you think Taylor is the qb to lead BUF to success?
    No.

Nobody made a move for him until his contract ran out, IIRC.
    Why would anyone have traded for a backup QB who had only 35 passes in 4 years?

Only the Bills and Broncos were trying to sign him this offseason. The Broncos wanted him because Kubiak was his coordinator in Baltimore.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    He's being evaluated for everything and I'm not on either side of the fence yet.

I do notice he escapes situations others cannot.. but also misses some wide open opportunities just a few yards downfield.

I keep hoping Cardale Jones continues to improve with his footwork. He can zip some passes in tight windows that Taylor could only dream of. No hesitation to deliver the rock. Saw every pass he threw at Ohio St.

Plus draft/sign another next spring to add to the mix.
    The reason that guys like Steve Young/John Elway/Cam Newton and Russell Wilson have had steadied success is that they still can make most/all plays with their arms. Tyrod is great at throwing the ball deep to an open spot but seems reluctant to do so on shorter routes, it's either because he doesn't see the passing lane because of his lack of height or he is doing the RJ thing that he wants to avoid the INT yet unlike RJ Tyrod has a little more pocket sense and can avoid the pressure or take the big hit. Either way it's a flaw and because he can't do it he will never be a complete QB and will be forever a running QB not a QB that can run like the above examples are.
    Last edited by The Jokeman; 10-25-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, I think it's coaching dictates and preferences, they don't want him slinging.

Part of the problem with the (yes, plug and play) rushing attack is the backs. McCoy, even though awesome when healthy, has a lot of wear on him. Karlos Williams was unfortunately Karlos Williams (and would have been re-concussed by now anyway, I'm sure of it), Jonathan Williams is such an exciting prospect he was inactive last game, and Reggie Bush is spent.

I like Gillislee, but the decision to leave Williams inactive last week, with McCoy coming up lame, meant if he got hurt, all you have left is Bush in the backfield, which means even MORE passing attempts they don't want if they're gunshy, and lets face it, they are.

My personal conclusion is that they could have made better running back choices for their system. I don't think they could have found a better QB for it on short notice. I really haven't gotten rid of my "backs are a dime a dozen" thoughts. If you roll enough of them through you'll find your fits and not have to leave them inactive if you have good talent evaluation and FO is in tune with coachings staff.

Taylor isn't a gunslinger and they don't want one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Risk-adverse is a more accurate term IMO.

He just doesn't take chances. That's why you rarely seem him throw over the middle or anything in the 10-20 yard range where the best of the best make their money.

With Taylor its the short stuff and every here and there he'll give us the big time bomb. No in between. Its boom or bust. Except the bust in this case is the short, boring, gets you nowhere stuff.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well, Fitz is more of a pro-interception QB ...

Thanks
    Thanked 24,453 Times in 14,165 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The system is designed for Taylor and takes advantage of his positives. We throw a lot of short routes (10 yards and under) near the sidelines and Lynn has begun to add some middle of the field throws as well. The way Taylor and the system keep teams honest is through his deep ball so that they can't put 8 in the box and try and jam the WR's off the line defensively.

The issue the Bills offensive system has is that it is over reliant on McCoy to make every carry worth four yards or more to stay in front of the sticks and requires that Taylor is put in manageable third down situations. He's not the guy that you're going to see consistently throwing the Post route to split the safeties in Cover 2, or the guy whose going to hit the TE running a seam route that just cleared the Mike LB dropping into zone coverage but is still 10 yards short of the FS.

The Bills run a lot of Dagger concept which involves a twin set at WR with a TE lined up on the same side. In this concept the outside WR is traditionally running a fly route and the slot WR is going to run a 7-10 yard out route. It's designed to either go up top if there is no safety help deep or hit the out route from the slot. If both options are covered then the TE is usually running a route into the flat for 2-3 yards that is safety valve. This can also be the RB depending on personnel packages. I've noticed in the games that I watch that both Lynn and Roman seem to love this passing concept.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills have said they want to every drive with a kick. Be it a punt, fg or extra point. So yeah, they're telling Tyrod we want to punt.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Who are you talking about? I mentioned Gillislee and Karlos, neither played for BAL.

Yeah, that's what an average does. It factors in big yard plays and small yard plays, and everything in between.

I'm not going to argue against any of that.

No.

Why would anyone have traded for a backup QB who had only 35 passes in 4 years?

Only the Bills and Broncos were trying to sign him this offseason. The Broncos wanted him because Kubiak was his coordinator in Baltimore.
    Gee, that must have been a lot of work to dig up those necroposts and mine them.

Use your powers for good! Make spirits bright!
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 10-26-2016 at 02:16 PM.

Pinkerton's son Pinkerton Security's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Gee, that must have been a lot of work to dig up those necroposts and mine them.

Use your powers for good! Make spirits bright!
    Copy and paste is real tough these days...

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkerton Security View Post
    Copy and paste is real tough these days...
    But what is the possible motivation to dig into past posts and place them (out of context) in a new thread? It wouldn't occur to me to bother or care. Unless I had some sort of agenda.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 10-26-2016 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

But what is the possible motivation to dig into past posts and place them (out of context) in a new thread? It wouldn't occur to me to bother or care. Unless I had some sort of agenda.
    What did I do? I feel like I'm missing something. I responded to a post you wrote 10 minutes before my response, in a thread that was started that same day, yesterday.

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,702 Times in 3,423 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nobody?

*averse*

26. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (10-27-2016)