Thread: Defense Issues

Thanks
    Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Defense Issues

The problem is two-fold: pass rush and coverage at safety.

On pass rush, I'm quite sure both Alexander and Hughes are hurt even though they are not on injury report. Alexander had to miss games recently and Hughes went out and came back into games due to injuries in recent games. I haven't seen effective inside move from Hughes for awhile now.

After a few games, opposing teams got a handle on the kid Lawson and he could not tying up two blockers to free up the rushers behind him yet. He needs to learn the art fast.

Kyle Williams has played at a steady level, surprisingly healthy thus far. Just imagine where the defense would be if he hasn't been there on the line.

The hope is really on Dareus. He's really just getting started so he hasn't lost focus like he was in the past. Rex must be praying that he stays healthy and is available the final 5 games.

On coverage, they probably peaked in the 4th game against NE. Ever since Aaron Williams went down, they started going south. I guess no one listened to Ed Reed other than Williams because communications in the back suffered the most. You can see the Ryan brothers tried everything they have, even sacrificing the contain on QB just to provide help.

They have to do something there. I don't know they can go outside to get help at this stage, but I'd put White back at safety, even if Darby can't go. Push Seymour to the outside, let him swim or sink - we are sinking on all of those safety help routes anyway, might as well try a different way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Defense Issues

Yes, the coverage is the real problem.

Our pass rush not at its best right now but its not bad. Hughes has a hand problem (on the injury report every week) and I think it is keeping him from attacking the OT the way he's used to.

Alexander looks explosive to me, at the least he is making making the QB move off his spot consistently. KW is doing well and Dareus has added an interior presence.

What I've been noticing every single week is that we get a great rush, just about to sack the QB and he throws it anyway with guys in his face, you'd think it would be picked off but the reason he is throwing it despite the pressure is because the WRs are just that open.

Our safety play is non-existent at this point. I haven't heard Corey Graham's name called all season and whoever is next to him is struggling in coverage. Aaron Williams was a massive loss which we all knew it would be but I didn't realize it would be to this extent.

Maybe moving White back there would be helpful because we simply don't have anyone with playmaking ability back there.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,413 Times in 1,995 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I thought safety was one of our deeper positions when we started the season, but our depth hasn't shown up at all. I'd put safety as the biggest weakness on the team right now.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The way it is now, WR and safety would be top two picks next year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

we ask our DBS to cover 1-1 all the time, Unless you have Deion Sanders, you will have breakdowns. It is too much in todays NFL to ask a corner to be man to man all game long.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    I haven't seen effective inside move from Hughes for awhile now.
    i think its the scheme.

7. Post thanked by:

Mace (11-29-2016),swiper (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You are going to have 1 on 1 coverage, especially outside, on any given play these days.

But it is a combination of things, especially with pass rush. You rush 3, you can double cover every target, and hope the guys force QB in 6 or 7 seconds. You rush the basic 4, then you expect some safety support. You blitz, then you expect tight coverage from the get go. Right now they failed at pass rush at times, but more often failed at coverage at others. Unlike the team in 2014 where a number of Bills have multiple sacks (3 10+ sack guys), right now the Bills pass rush is concentrated in Alexander and Hughes, who WILL get less effective as the game wore on -- pass rush takes a lot out of the body.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,558 Times in 17,442 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Safety should have been a priority this past off-season. I'm tiring of being a day late and a dollar short.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

10. Post thanked by:

Mace (11-29-2016),Victor7 (12-02-2016)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Off-season priority on D will be the secondary, without a doubt. Gilmore will need to be replaced. Darby, Seymour and Robey Coleman are good but not much after that at CB. 2 more there. Safety has nothing if Aaron Williams is done. Need at least 3.

Lawson and Ragland will be back for a full season. That will help.

CB's and Safties should not be picked early. Sign some vets for depth first.

1st Round should be OT.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,895 Times in 4,018 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    The way it is now, WR and safety would be top two picks next year.
    If a safety is taken in the 1st..by my count..that will be the top 6 picks of the past 3 drafts went to the defense....fixing the 4th ranked D in the league..

I'm wondering when the genius/guru/fully pregnant thingy kicks in.

13. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (12-03-2016),Mace (11-29-2016),swiper (11-29-2016),Victor7 (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    If a safety is taken in the 1st..by my count..that will be the top 6 picks of the past 3 drafts went to the defense....fixing the 4th ranked D in the league..

I'm wondering when the genius/guru/fully pregnant thingy kicks in.
    Amen. Why didn't the Bills just keep Schwartz and draft 6 QB prospects?

15. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (12-03-2016),Topas (12-02-2016),Victor7 (12-02-2016)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Safety should have been a priority this past off-season. I'm tiring of being a day late and a dollar short.
    Would have been a good year to draft one, draft was deep with solid options and guys with potential past the 1st round. Cravens the hybrid, Vonn Bell, Miles Killebrew, Tyvis Powell, Jeremy Cash the hybrid, Jayron Kearse developmental, Deon Bush, Keth Byard. They've all stuck with their teams and range from 2nd round to UDFA. Have said it before but you could tell Aaron Williams was a hit away from trouble, and this would have been the year for Ryan to start grooming a guy critical to his defensive philosophy if he thought he was going to be here a while.

Instead of building into his defensive concept he tried win now with vet FA's although he's known for having a complex unforgiving system.

17. Post thanked by:

YardRat (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Looks like they are doing exactly what i wanted. Seymour to start and White at safety. http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/01/ro...-ronald-darby/

It's not going to be easy for the rookie. Teams have been doubling Cooper most of the time but Carr has been great getting balls to Crabtree, who Seymour probably will see most of the time. While Seymour should have no problem running with Crabtree, the receiver is much bigger than the rookie. Some subtle pushing and hand fighting will be out there Sunday. Hopefully we don't see another early year Mckelvin type performance from Seymour - running side by side with the receiver only to see the completion after completion.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,558 Times in 17,442 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Ol' Wrecks is going to have to pick his poison. Over the top help on Cooper opens up Crabtree, and vice versa. Try both at the same time and Murray will run people over. I'm just glad I've got two of the three on my fantasy team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ragland and Preston scare me in coverage as a tandem.

The secondary needs to be reshaped. AW, Graham and Gilmore are all like gone sooner rather than later for different reasons.

And we still need a QB. I mean with Russ Brandon still around Char Kelly is a lock in the first if he's available when we pick, right?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    This

The depth and quality at the position was/remains alarming. Graham started to tail off at the end of last year and can't be relied upon as much as before. AW is the only one worth **** and we all knew about his most likely career ending issues. The rest of the guys aren't even worthy of mention. They belong in arena football. The loss of AW has been probably the worst injury of the season. Let that be a lesson to many of the posters who I've read that say he's mediocre or average.
    Last edited by Victor7; 12-02-2016 at 06:28 PM.

22. Post thanked by:

YardRat (12-02-2016)