Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The NFL Has A Big Problem

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The NFL Has A Big Problem

The ratings for last week's Sunday Night Football game featuring the Chiefs vs. the Broncos were awful.

Down 27 points compared to a year ago.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2016...edive-week-12/

It was a great game. For the first time all season I managed to stay awake and watched it until the end in OT with a doink off the goal post.

As a Bills fan, I was routing for a tie.

The election is over, Kaepernick got stuffed at the goal line by a Cuban American, and you would think by now that people would get back in to their old routine of watching football on Sunday night again.

It's not happening.

Why?

To make a very long answer short...Roger Goodell.

From burning tapes to forcing teams to play in other countries, Roger Goodell has worn out his welcome as Commissioner of the NFL.

Mr. Goodell, you're fired.

I'll forgive the consulting fee if the NFL makes the right decision and gets rid of the root of their problems.

2. Post thanked by:

DynaPaul (12-04-2016)

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,900 Times in 4,358 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The NFL Has A Big Problem

Only games I watch are Bills games.

I am getting tired of their losing, poor officiating, and the bs protesting.

I'm done with the rest of the NFL.

When I'm done with the Bills I'll be done with football.

4. Post thanked by:

DynaPaul (12-04-2016),Historian (11-30-2016),Jan Reimers (12-01-2016),jimmifli (12-03-2016),kgun12 (11-30-2016),Lucidvizion (12-01-2016),Luisito23 (12-01-2016),pmoon6 (12-04-2016),WagonCircler (12-02-2016),X-Era (12-05-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I am with T-Dummy on this. Although I have a soft spot for Bruce Arians and Aaron Rodgers. So I also follow marginally the Packers and Cardinals. But I dont watch them. Just read a bit.

6. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Watching Kaep......// behave like he does and talk makes me sick, so I'm just avoiding pretty much paying full attention anymore.

Roger is mkre worried about how a player fun dancing in the end after scoring and having this dude disrespect others is sickening, get a life man.
    Last edited by Skooby; 11-30-2016 at 03:44 AM.

8. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (11-30-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Kaepernick is going to pound Chicago this weekend.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,480 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Funny how the people who used to support the NFL are the same people who said FU to the media this past election.
    These games out of the country are stupid as well. No one watches them. TD commercial. KO, commercial, and the kickoff is never returned, commercial, end of quarter commercial. Ref spots the ball to favor the better team over and over. Every times there's an incomplete pass the WR's waving his arm for a flag. Someone scores a TD and we have to watch his 5 sec solo dance which is dumb as hell, give me the team celebrations again. High Def TV Broadcast zooming into 50 yards of the field so the players look like ants.
    Goodell just doesn't get it. The NFL is not about politics. Let them take steroids, smoke pot, eat cocaine, I don't GAF. Just let them play football the best they can.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

11. Post thanked by:

DynaPaul (12-04-2016)

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I am most turned off by the incompetent officiating, where far too many flags are thrown and games are decided by bad calls; players behaving like thugs, both on and off the field; and greedy owners who are trying to wring every last penny out of fans that have been loyal to the league and their teams forever.

I have a hard time watching, and the Bills are only a part of it.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

13. Post thanked by:

DynaPaul (12-04-2016),Generalissimus Gibby (12-02-2016),Historian (12-02-2016),Lone Stranger (12-01-2016),pmoon6 (12-04-2016),TacklingDummy (12-01-2016),Victor7 (12-02-2016)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,291 Times in 15,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

After the Sabres Rangers game last night, I put on the Vikes Pukes game.

First play: FLAG!

Turned it right off.

15. Post thanked by:

coastal (12-03-2016),DynaPaul (12-04-2016),pmoon6 (12-04-2016),WagonCircler (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The one good thing about the bad ratings is that as good as the Cowgirls have been this season, nobody's watching. Jerry Joenes finally has a winning season and over half America isn't watching.

17. Post thanked by:

DynaPaul (12-04-2016),WagonCircler (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,454 Times in 14,166 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think for me a bigger issue than the officiating is the way the league has devolved. I hoped that with all the new rule changes for player safety and with replay that coaches would be forced to turn their focus back to the technical aspects of the game, unfortunately what we've seen is coaches instead just focus on finding the most athletic guys and trying to find ways to fit them in. You end up with a lot of players who just aren't that good at key skills positions, but remain in the league because they are athletic.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

19. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (12-02-2016)

Surfing on the Edge of Infinity
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's not just the NFL. Most sports are experiencing are decline in viewers. Everyone has their own theories, but my guess is that more people are choosing to not look to traditional broadcast and cable TV for entertainment. It's not just the "cord cutters", every year that goes by there's another wave of working adults that were never "corded", and probably never will be.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't know what it is. for me, I had a baby girl last year and a baby boy on the way this year. I get just enough time to watch the bills game. I really don't watch any other games. and when the bills stink, that makes it less interesting to see what other teams are doing. that being said, I expect to watch the playoffs.

22. Post thanked by:

DynaPaul (12-04-2016),pmoon6 (12-04-2016)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneblitser View Post
    The one good thing about the bad ratings is that as good as the Cowgirls have been this season, nobody's watching. Jerry Joenes finally has a winning season and over half America isn't watching.
    The Cowboys game last night had the 2nd best ratings ever for a Thursday night game. So I guess some people are watching.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

BillsImpossible needs to take his tiny penis out of the electric socket.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm no longer a football fan. I haven't watched a non-Bills game in years. I haven't watched a Bills game live (on TV) for two years. I wait for the ad free one to be uploaded online and watch it Sunday evening after my daughter goes to sleep.

I'm sure some of that is because of the 16. But not most of it. Too many ads, too much time reviewing, too many flags, too many referee conferences, too many stoppages. If anyone ever scores near the last two minutes of a half it's awful: two minute warning ad, TD ad, XP ad, kick off ad, time out ad, etc... 1 meaningful play in 15 minutes. And if you can get through all that, the refs suck and the rich teams always win.

26. Post thanked by:

DynaPaul (12-04-2016),Historian (12-05-2016),pmoon6 (12-04-2016),TacklingDummy (12-03-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I haven't watched a single game this year... don't miss it at all!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's been well covered there a ton of major issues.

Commercials and officiating bring the game to a complete halt. The game isn't fluid. Refs controlling games makes it unwatchable.

The complete crackdown on end zone celebrations is the dumbest thing ever. Fans want to see their favorite players make plays, it's an entertainment business, why are they actively cracking down on an emtertaining part of the game? Regradless if yiu hate the look at me attitude, Chad Johnson and TO had fans tuning in to see what they were going to do once they got in the end zone. Kudos to Steve Smith, Joe Horn, and Stevie Johnson who were all solid contributors in this category.

Camera angles and Red Zone. I'm a firm believer the standard TV camera angle isn't helping the game anymore. It's a pass first league and you're watching a run first camera angle. They need to start experimenting. Angles behind on the QB on 3rd and long, 2 minutes drills, passing downs. Give a camera angle behind the defense on 3rd and shorts/goal line. Let the viewers see the play develop.

Or you can just watch Red Zone and cut out all of this and watch touchdowns and turn overs. The NFL is completely undermining it's TV partners and honestly, making it easy for their viewers to be lazy.

Oversaturation. The Cowboys had a great rating becauae they have a huge national following and are good this year. That's simple. No one wants to watch the Jags vs Texans Thursday night. If they wanted to sprinkle in a couple marquee games with teams coming off byes that would be a much better approach to Thursday night.

29. Post thanked by:

DynaPaul (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

agree
    Please Make Sense

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,291 Times in 15,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Beef View Post

The complete crackdown on end zone celebrations is the dumbest thing ever. Fans want to see their favorite players make plays, it's an entertainment business, why are they actively cracking down on an emtertaining part of the game? Regradless if yiu hate the look at me attitude, Chad Johnson and TO had fans tuning in to see what they were going to do once they got in the end zone. Kudos to Steve Smith, Joe Horn, and Stevie Johnson who were all solid contributors in this category.
    They're cracking down on the wrong celebrations.

Players should be allowed to celebrate a TD.

What they should NOT be allowed to celebrate, is:

A tackle.
    A first down.
    An opponent's penalty.

Spiking the ball in the end zone has been part of the game for forty years.

The dancing after a tackle, or giving a first down sign after a three yard run is tantamount to taunting, and what should be eliminated.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    Only games I watch are Bills games.

I am getting tired of their losing, poor officiating, and the bs protesting.

I'm done with the rest of the NFL.

When I'm done with the Bills I'll be done with football.
    Just had this discussion with friends.

The rules are my major problem. I'm so tired of:

OL and DL holding calls and non-calls
    Pass interference makes the game so ridiculous. It's more like two-hand touch than actual football. And the calls aren't even consistent
    QB is treated like porcelain. But only if your name is Tom Brady. If you're Cam Newton you're screwed
    Catch/no catch is ridiculousBlock in the back calls whether it's happening or not