Thread: Interesting Read - Anthony Lynn

Thanks
    Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Interesting Read - Anthony Lynn

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...6-bcb59f32874d

So his theme is to do what you are good at. If I'm Jack Del Rio reading this article, I'm stacking the boxes this Sunday.

Had Parcells followed through of his threat of coming to Buffalo to kick his a**, I bet Rex would be the one walking straight upstairs to meet the Pegulas...

Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 12-01-2016 at 11:21 AM.

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Interesting Read - Anthony Lynn

If I am Jack Del Rio I am combing my hair and complimenting myself in a mirror. When I am done with that I am stacking the box, regardless of what this article says.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

3. Post thanked by:

Mace (12-01-2016),Topas (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

One of Parcells’ chief coaching principles has been to structure your scheme to the talent of your personnel. Much like his conversation with Wooden, Parcells stressed the importance of maximizing your players’ ability by allowing them to play fast.
    Wait, you mean we shouldn't force a scheme on your players? Someone forgot to tell Rex that last year.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,454 Times in 14,166 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The King View Post
    If I am Jack Del Rio I am combing my hair and complimenting myself in a mirror. When I am done with that I am stacking the box, regardless of what this article says.
    If I'm Jack Del Rio, I'm giggling to myself about how many different ways I can like up Khalil Mack and have him expose a porous Bills OL.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    If I'm Jack Del Rio, I'm giggling to myself about how many different ways I can like up Khalil Mack and have him expose a porous Bills OL.
    The Bills OL isn't porous. Its really just RT Jordan Mills who is struggling. The rest of the OL is performing pretty well.

Our biggest problems have come against top level LDE like Wake and Cliff Avril.

7. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (12-01-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,454 Times in 14,166 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi View Post
    The Bills OL isn't porous. Its really just RT Jordan Mills who is struggling. The rest of the OL is performing pretty well.

You can have either, or both, of those guys and I'll take Mack.

9. Post thanked by:

Mace (12-01-2016)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I dunno. Cincinnati and Jacksonville both have less sacks then we do and outsacked us 7-3 last two games. I think our biggest problems have come when anyone rushes the passer. We have 33 sacks (2nd in the league, good) and have been sacked 31 times (tied for 5th in the league, not good). The median is allowing about 25, so porous (tiny holes), is a compliment.

11. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (12-02-2016)

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,424 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Half of those sacks have come from Tyrod scrambling for -1 yards instead of throwing it away.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

31 sacks, 132 yards lost. 4.25 yards lost per sack allowed. That's second lowest in the league.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
    31 sacks, 132 yards lost. 4.25 yards lost per sack allowed. That's second lowest in the league.
    I don't know, to me from what I've seen it's just Taylor being impressively elusive and trying to find a running lane while getting closer to the line of scrimmage after his pocket collapsed again. I have my criticisms of Taylor, but he's one of the most elusive bob and weave guy I've ever seen play the game.

We all see the same games, the pocket collapses a lot and not always against the best pass rush teams.

15. Post thanked by:

ParanoidAndroid (12-01-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I don't know, to me from what I've seen it's just Taylor being impressively elusive and trying to find a running lane while getting closer to the line of scrimmage after his pocket collapsed again. I have my criticisms of Taylor, but he's one of the most elusive bob and weave guy I've ever seen play the game.

We all see the same games, the pocket collapses a lot and not always against the best pass rush teams.
    Yes, we've seen the pocket collapse. More often now that Wood is out. However, Tyrod often holds the ball as well. There are receivers open significantly more often than he actually pulls the trigger. The O-line isn't great, but it's not as bad as portrayed in the post by DB.

If I'm Anthony Lynn, I run at Jihad Ward all day.

17. Post thanked by:

Mace (12-02-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

TT still has inconsistent pocket awareness.

Last week one sack I can remember was all on him as he had a lane to push up into the pocket in but he just stood there and let the outside rushers close on him.

Our OL has been fine in all phases TT needs to be better.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

TT still has inconsistent pocket awareness.

Last week one sack I can remember was all on him as he had a lane to push up into the pocket in but he just stood there and let the outside rushers close on him.

Our OL has been fine in all phases TT needs to be better.
    Well, you have to remember the sacks then when players flew through unblocked. The OL just hasn't been fine in pass blocking imho.

They're fine when a team has a basic pedestrian line running standard defense on a vanilla play, running basic vanilla pass coverage. They struggle if a team has a decent pass rusher as you previously mentioned yourself even if the opponent is running standard defense on a vanilla play.

They struggle with blitzes. They struggle when a team is determined to rush the passer even when that team just has average pass coverage. They struggle if a team has a basic d-line and good pass coverage.

There is certainly some blame on Taylor looking for running lanes instead of receivers. There is certainly some blame on Lynn as well for not compensating with quick timing routes to slot receivers and TE's. There's certainly some blame for the offensive philosophy that isn't prepared to use a passing offense with a QCB qho can't really execute one. But there's certainly some blame too for the o-line coach, and o-line for the collapsing pockets we see on an awful lot of passing plays.

20. Post thanked by:

cookie G (12-03-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I thought the whole article is about Lynn learned and excelled at making his players do what they do the best. We all know a number of pretty popular plays, like slants, wide receiver picks, screen are not in Bills offensive playbooks. Some like screens were the mainstay when Chan was here. Maybe Lynn believes those do not fit the current players?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    I thought the whole article is about Lynn learned and excelled at making his players do what they do the best. We all know a number of pretty popular plays, like slants, wide receiver picks, screen are not in Bills offensive playbooks. Some like screens were the mainstay when Chan was here. Maybe Lynn believes those do not fit the current players?
    I think it's more like Lynn is stuck with his HC's desired offense, and is equally stuck with being a better Roman than Roman within the framework of the tools and concept they gave him.

There is virtually no way of knowing what he can offer until he gets out from under Ryan, and unfortunately it will be for someone else by the time it happens.

I sort of like Lynn for mixing it up, they have to run but you see him using the pass to set it up sometimes. I believe he's probably already beyond what Ryan wants and what Whaley can deliver for this team at this time, and he's going to get jammed into how well a plodding run concept can succeed in a passing league with a running QB. He's going to end up in the same margins as Roman did after this year, stats wise, and all it can really say is that he ran a Roman offense with Roman plays comparably to Roman, because they just don't have the personnel to do anything else or the time or will to change it.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,893 Times in 4,017 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Well, you have to remember the sacks then when players flew through unblocked. The OL just hasn't been fine in pass blocking imho.
    Mmmhmm. TT probably leads the league in dodging someone who comes in unblocked and buying himself extra time.

They are 31st in the league in sacks/attempt, but I do recognize what Paranoid is saying about the yardage. Some of those sacks ARE 1 yard sacks, which are as livable as him throwing the ball away.

But...a less mobile..pocket passer..god help the poor guy.

Anyone who thinks Mills is "fine" as a pass blocking OT needs to stay after class for extra help.

It is a position in desperate need for an upgrade.

As far as this week goes, they need to do a JJ Watt on him. Lots of help from Clay, O'leary, Felton, etc. Id seriously consider putting Kujo in but he's still weak on speed rushers. eh...change that, Id do it anyway.

This is a good week (or season) for a Sam Gash. "Sam, there's your guy, take him out".
    Last edited by cookie G; 12-03-2016 at 12:32 PM.

24. Post thanked by:

Mace (12-03-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    You can have either, or both, of those guys and I'll take Mack.
    Of course Mack is better... Mills is struggling against speed rushers and that's likely to continue.