Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stats for Taylors first 25 starts

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Stats for Taylors first 25 starts

Werent Ben and Wilson rookies?

Brady and Brees didnt start in their 5th year either.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Root.

Not route.
    I prefer route in this case. As in, "Take a left on Route 5 and keep driving until you're far, far from here."

3. Post thanked by:

Historian (12-05-2016),Mace (12-04-2016),Mr. Pink (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Minus the Browns, the Bills have the worst QB in the NFL.

If you don't watch other games, then you wouldn't notice just how awful Tyord is as a passer.
    Kaepernick is worse. But probably nobody else.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I care about his results. This game against Oakland was a perfect example why an efficient smallball elusive running QB who can't occasionally pass his way down the field when necessary, won't beat a team with QB who can.

Anyone who watched this game has to be able to see it.
    Banged up Watkins who dropped plenty of passes, 3rd, 4th, and 5th WR's who were likely not open a lot of the game, and a ton of pressure...On a team that uses a run heavy offense but suddenly decided to run the spread in this game.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    Banged up Watkins who dropped plenty of passes, 3rd, 4th, and 5th WR's who were likely not open a lot of the game, and a ton of pressure...On a team that uses a run heavy offense but suddenly decided to run the spread in this game.
    Dropped plenty of passes? Poorly thrown passes that nearly got him killed.

How anybody could watch that game and still defend Tyrod as a potential franchise QB is baffling.

7. Post thanked by:

Mace (12-05-2016),YardRat (12-05-2016)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,468 Times in 9,174 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    Agree, it was dumb to go with a passing attack because we don't have a QB who can execute one, but the thing (early at least), they were using the pass sweetly to set up the run. Later they had to pass because they were desperate.

There are times when a run heavy attack just won't take you through a whole game. Like down 38-24, you can't keep running. You can't keep running when clock becomes a factor. Those are times they need Taylor to take the team downfield on his arm and he can't. Game manager QB's like Alex Smith even do this.

Why don't they use McCoy, Gillislee, Bush with a short timing, quick release passing game. Even Felton has shown he can catch. Those too are the plays that can set up runs, tire out an opponent, and march downfield. Quick slants are better than downfield routes when your receivers are gimped, not for us though.

They're all basic plays Taylor should have down, Lynn as well, the backs, receivers.

Taylor had the same issues he always has when he HAS to pass, trouble with reads, no sense of rhythm, no command, no touch, no directing receivers open. He got is 18 completions to stay near his average, but he doesn't command drives when he needs to with his arm.

For a vet in his 2nd year with his offense, he's robotic and just not good enough.
    Last edited by Mace; 12-05-2016 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    Kaepernick is worse. But probably nobody else.
    I wouldn't go that far.

Kaep can actually throw the ball when it becomes necessary to do so.

He'll make some dumb mistakes but he actually tries, Tyrod is too afraid to do almost anything.

I'm sure someone will point out that he was absolutely horrible this past weekend and got benched, which is true. Although i would have benched Taylor as well Sunday. However, Kaep still went out and threw for almost 400 yards vs the Saints a month ago. Threw for almost 300 and ran for over 100 against the Dolphins.

10. Post thanked by:

Mace (12-06-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I wouldn't go that far.

Kaep can actually throw the ball when it becomes necessary to do so..
    Well, then you'd be wrong.

Kaepernick's arm is a joke.

Tyrod's a bad QB, but his arm is way better than Kaepernick's. And it's not even close.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    Well, then you'd be wrong.

Kaepernick's arm is a joke.

Tyrod's a bad QB, but his arm is way better than Kaepernick's. And it's not even close.
    Let me know the next time Tyrod throws for 300 yards in a game. Kaep's done that more times this year than Tyrod has his entire career. Let me know when Tyrod leads a team on a 4th quarter drive to win a game. Kaep's done that 8 times.

Everyone here loves pointing out how Tyrod Taylor protects the football. INT rate of 1.7%, Kaep's rate? 1.8%

TD rate? 4.2% vs 4.1%, edge Kaep.

YPA? 7.3 vs 7.2, edge Kaep.

They're pretty much the same exact player, difference is Kaep can throw the ball when he's put in a situation where has to and has lead a team to a Superbowl.

13. Post thanked by:

Mace (12-06-2016)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,070 Times in 15,283 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Why don't they use McCoy, Gillislee, Bush with a short timing, quick release passing game. Even Felton has shown he can catch. Those too are the plays that can set up runs, tire out an opponent, and march downfield. Quick slants are better than downfield routes when your receivers are gimped, not for us though.
    They're all basic plays Taylor should have down, Lynn as well, the backs, receivers.
    Because Tyrod has no touch pass is his arsenal.

He can throw deep. We've seen this. We've seen him hit Watkins and Goodwin for TD bombs in the past.

What he doesn't have, is a touch pass. A screen, a quick out, anything short that requires him to take a little off the ball.

That's why.

Can that be coached?

I don't know, but it seems to me that it should be easier to coach the short stuff, or high percentage stuff, than it is the deep ball.

15. Post thanked by:

Mace (12-06-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Let me know the next time Tyrod throws for 300 yards in a game. Kaep's done that more times this year than Tyrod has his entire career. Let me know when Tyrod leads a team on a 4th quarter drive to win a game. Kaep's done that 8 times.

Everyone here loves pointing out how Tyrod Taylor protects the football. INT rate of 1.7%, Kaep's rate? 1.8%

TD rate? 4.2% vs 4.1%, edge Kaep.

YPA? 7.3 vs 7.2, edge Kaep.

They're pretty much the same exact player, difference is Kaep can throw the ball when he's put in a situation where has to and has lead a team to a Superbowl.
    6'4" > 6'2".

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,468 Times in 9,174 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    Because Tyrod has no touch pass is his arsenal.

He can throw deep. We've seen this. We've seen him hit Watkins and Goodwin for TD bombs in the past.

What he doesn't have, is a touch pass. A screen, a quick out, anything short that requires him to take a little off the ball.

That's why.

Can that be coached?

I don't know, but it seems to me that it should be easier to coach the short stuff, or high percentage stuff, than it is the deep ball.
    Well, I think it can be coached, learned, and practiced if the attempt is made.

From 2005 :

SAN DIEGO, Jan. 6 - Standing in the middle of a practice field that sits in a canyon, Drew Brees does not see the sun slipping behind the mountains. He cannot tell that his teammates have trickled into the locker room. He has no idea that traffic is starting to bottleneck on Interstate 15.

And he certainly cannot make out the rookie receiver fidgeting in the back of the end zone.

The receiver is watching the quarterback walk another 5 yards downfield, waiting as Brees pivots and fires. The football smacks the receiver's hands square in the palms.

"The first time it happened, I couldn't believe it," said Malcom Floyd, a rookie receiver near the bottom of the depth chart for the San Diego Chargers. "Guys see Drew throwing passes to me every day after practice. But what they don't know is that he throws all those passes, he does that whole drill, with his eyes closed."

This is the same quarterback who threw 31 interceptions in his first two seasons as a starter, was benched four times and was supposed to spend this season backing up a rookie. Now, he has guided his team out of the canyon and into the playoffs. It has appeared at times as if he could win with a blindfold on.

"What I do after practice is a feel thing," Brees said Wednesday, closing his eyes again and raising both hands as if he is awaiting a snap. "I just started doing it this season, and it's taught me that even if you can't see, that doesn't mean you don't still have vision."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/07/sp...osing-his.html

Brees practiced with his eyes closed to get better, with a rookie low on the depth chart.

I remember Brady early in his career, saying flatly, I'm not the most talented guy in the game, I try to make up for it by working harder.

Up until recently I thought of Taylor as cool and calm, but I'm leaning now toward apathetic. Like I say he runs the play in front of him with running as a fallback. That's probably where coaching comes in, where they say "practice this", and watch. "Do it again." And they watch. "Again." You always hear of QB's practicing with receivers late to build chemistry. Never heard of Taylor doing that. Working with an outside QB coach to improve. Never heard of Taylor doing that. You see them animated at the line, directing people, animated under pressure, directing people. Going into a huddle with fire, "we're going to do this".....taking advantage of mismatches, beating on weaknesses like a drum. Never see Taylor do these.

I've come to interpret it as Taylor having a long term backups mentality. Nothing to prove, just run the play and don't make a mistake, and his his case, find a running lane. Toss the long ball that way when they tell you to, if it looks questionable, overthrow it.

Is Taylor trying to be a better passer ? I think he's just going through the motions with the plays they give him.
    Last edited by Mace; 12-06-2016 at 07:36 PM.